Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #29
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
On a related note,
one of my remotes is all smashed and broken.
Can I get one of these new uncut modules from ebay and just swap out my existing key?
How hard is it to relearn?
Thanks in advance
If your old remote still work, but is just worn and the case is broken, you can swap the guts of the remote. I did that shortly after buying my Camaro. One of the remotes looked unused and the other very well used.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #30
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Superglue? Watch out everyone for the new thread: "How do i get my key out of my ignition since it broke off my fob...."

This is exactly what I'm worried about, so that's why I purchased the roll pins to put in, essentially making it the key directly from the factory (prior to the recall). I'm not looking to dish out $2000 to have somebody fish out the key stuck in my ignition because the superglue didn't hold well enough.
CyberGreyConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #31
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
This is exactly what I'm worried about, so that's why I purchased the roll pins to put in, essentialy taking it the key directly from the factory (prior to the recall). I'm not looking to dish out $2000 to have somebody fish out the key stuck in my ignition because the superglue didn't hold well enough.
The ignition cylinder isn't much deeper than the part of the key that protrudes from the FOB. So if the key did happen to come unglued, you'd still have a quarter inch or so of the key (the part that sticks inside the FOB) still sticking out of the cylinder with no way for it to go any deeper.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #32
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The ignition cylinder isn't much deeper than the part of the key that protrudes from the FOB. So if the key did happen to come unglued, you'd still have a quarter inch or so of the key (the part that sticks inside the FOB) still sticking out of the cylinder with no way for it to go any deeper.
....but.... without the keyfob, and say it did break off, and no tools like a pliers or vise grip around, how to shut it off?? guess kill it clutch-wise, but an auto?
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #33
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Dumbest recall I ever heard of. I had a rental with the new version. They attached the fob and it dangled off the key slapping my knee all the way. Ironic
Old 02-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #34
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
....but.... without the keyfob, and say it did break off, and no tools like a pliers or vise grip around, how to shut it off?? guess kill it clutch-wise, but an auto?
Pull the fuel pump relay or fuse. Or an ignition fuse.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #35
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Now you have me wondering how much force it would take to break a key. And how it would be applied while it's in the ignition.
was referring to the fact the one 'poster' commented on superglueing his key to the fob.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #36
brwk

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible - sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey14044 View Post
I went to my chevy dealer, they sell just blank keys and the pins, i had the keys cut their as well, all together got both the flips keys for $32
Do you have any part numbers? My dealer who I never had any issues with said that he didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for a blank and a pin. The parts guy said he has only ordered new keys with the black piece attached and programmed. He said if I got him a part number he would be happy to order for me and cut the key. I would prefer to keep the keys as spares rather than cutting them up to get the metal part and then add back to the fob.
brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #37
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Roll pins will be coming in the mail today, can anybody give me advice for putting the roll pin back into the key itself? Should I just like up the groove in the key with the hole as best as I can, then just hammer the pin in?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #38
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post

You are right about the super-glue though. It does seems to fail sooner or later. Especially on shiny steel. And you are twisting it.
not with gel super glue and a roll pin, no way that key is coming out.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #39
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
Roll pins will be coming in the mail today, can anybody give me advice for putting the roll pin back into the key itself? Should I just like up the groove in the key with the hole as best as I can, then just hammer the pin in?
Once you cut the key out. You will see a groove. You need to slide that in so that it matches the hole in switch portion. I just tapped mine in using a tiny precision screw driver and my hammer. You don't really have to wack it. Just small taps. If they are the right size it should not take much effort at all.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #40
truckstoy

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
i just used a thicker paperclip & cut it & filed it. works perfect !
truckstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #41
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstoy View Post
i just used a thicker paperclip & cut it & filed it. works perfect !
I'm with you... I used nails that fit snug. Cut them down to the length I needed.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #42
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
Once you cut the key out. You will see a groove. You need to slide that in so that it matches the hole in switch portion. I just tapped mine in using a tiny precision screw driver and my hammer. You don't really have to wack it. Just small taps. If they are the right size it should not take much effort at all.

I've spent a solid 40 minutes now trying to get the pin in, haven't even gotten close. The pin doesn't sit in the hole at all, so it's essentially impossible to keep the pin in place in order to hammer it in. On top of that, the the key has to be pressed and held into place. How exactly is this possible...?