Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
oramaCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Fuel gauge stopped working

Just like the title says, my fuel gauge stopped working. When I start the car the gauge does it's usual sweep up to full then it stays on empty. It says 0 miles to empty but the low fuel light isn't on.

It all started the other day when I filled up with gas. I have the LPE twin fuel pumps that I installed a year ago, I don't know if that has something to do with it or not.

I did some searching online and didn't find too much about it. If anyone has any idea what I can do to fix it I would really appreciate it. The car is no longer under warranty so the dealer is out of the question, plus they wouldn't warranty it with LPE pumps.
oramaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
oramaCamaro

I guess nobody has had this problem. Time to do more research.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I have had this happen about 6 times so far. Driving along and the fuel guage drops all the way to E. It has only lasted a few minutes to a few hours at most. I figure the little float in the tank is going bad. I was quoted for about $650 to get it fixed. I have a spare ready once it completely craps the bed.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
oramaCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
I have had this happen about 6 times so far. Driving along and the fuel guage drops all the way to E. It has only lasted a few minutes to a few hours at most. I figure the little float in the tank is going bad. I was quoted for about $650 to get it fixed. I have a spare ready once it completely craps the bed.
I have only used about half a tank of gas with the gauge not working. It was working fine until I filled the tank last week. Maybe the float is stuck on empty.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
AllBlackSS

Drives: 2010 SS
I doubt it would do anything but have you tried disconnecting the battery?
AllBlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
cross-bones

Drives: 2012 L99 EU
I had the same Problem last year with the LPE Twin Fuel Pump kit. Even after two tank refills it still did not work. I brought it to the dealer that installed the Pump for me to check everything. They could not find anything that was wrong but after disassembly and reinstallation it worked again.
cross-bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
oramaCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmike View Post
I doubt it would do anything but have you tried disconnecting the battery?
I didn't try that but I will this weekend, it can't hurt.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
oramaCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-bones View Post
I had the same Problem last year with the LPE Twin Fuel Pump kit. Even after two tank refills it still did not work. I brought it to the dealer that installed the Pump for me to check everything. They could not find anything that was wrong but after disassembly and reinstallation it worked again.
Sounds like the float may have stuck. I really don't want to drop the tank and take it all apart again.