Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Question More if a 4th gen question but still LS

OK so after doing a rebuild on a LS1 in a TA. What's the best way if breaking the motor in. I've always been told to let the motor warm up check for any leaks then hold the RPM at around 3500-4000 for 15min give or take to seat the new rings in. Then change the oil. Then drive it easy for the next 500 miles then change the oil again.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
There's a few different methods, which always turns into a great debate around here.

Neither method is what you have always been told.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
StrokerAce

Drives: 1987 Lebaron w/ NOS
Mayhem is right, and you will be hard pressed to get a general consensus.
Over the years I've always broke mine in the exact same way I intended on driving them (hard) and have never had even the slightest issue.

Last edited by StrokerAce; 03-25-2016 at 11:39 AM.
StrokerAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Fresh engine startup is something few of us had the privilege of performing on our cars. Since they were delivered to us via dealer.

You don't want to spend much time jacking around idling, do some heat cycles with 30 minutes cool down between and try to have a load on the engine as soon as possible. That means either driving or on the dyno.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Apex had a thread about engine break in -

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403619
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
One answer will not fit all.

What specs was it built to? Uber tight factory LS specs? Follow a new car manual... easy break in. Heat cycle it at few times at varying RPM. Some easy driving.

Factory LS motors are bit with basically an interference fit piston, super tight tin bearings... that stuff does not lend well to a hard break in when green fresh.

Now, if you built it to performance specs... 2 to 3 thou bearing clearances, tri-metal bearings, some decent clearance on forged pistons, decent ring gaps... A performance build like that can be put to some moderate loads quicker.

If anyone other than the engine builder is telling you how to break in that motor, without asking build details... I'd question that advice. A good builder will know exactly what the build clearances are, parts used, oil to use...know how to use a pre-oiler...

Make sure you have a pressure tank pre-oiler. There is no way to prelude an LS motor without one. Old school Chevys you can drill spin the pump, not on an LS motor.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
One answer will not fit all.

What specs was it built to? Uber tight factory LS specs? Follow a new car manual... easy break in. Heat cycle it at few times at varying RPM. Some easy driving.

Factory LS motors are bit with basically an interference fit piston, super tight tin bearings... that stuff does not lend well to a hard break in when green fresh.

Now, if you built it to performance specs... 2 to 3 thou bearing clearances, tri-metal bearings, some decent clearance on forged pistons, decent ring gaps... A performance build like that can be put to some moderate loads quicker.

If anyone other than the engine builder is telling you how to break in that motor, without asking build details... I'd question that advice. A good builder will know exactly what the build clearances are, parts used, oil to use...know how to use a pre-oiler...

Make sure you have a pressure tank pre-oiler. There is no way to prelude an LS motor without one. Old school Chevys you can drill spin the pump, not on an LS motor.
unhook the harness at the coil packs and the fuel pump relay and crank it over tell you get oil to the topend
davidscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
unhook the harness at the coil packs and the fuel pump relay and crank it over tell you get oil to the topend
Opinions will vary. I'd rather pressure lube every bit of a fresh engine before cranking.

The vast majority of engine wear occurs on start up. And the first start up being the biggest offender. Pre lubing it is just one more insurance step, and tells you if you have any oil leaks.

Seen too many pro shops do it to think its not a good thing. I bought a $150 preluder pressure tank from Summit years ago, probably one of the most loaned out tools I have. And it always comes back with a case of beer.

When I prelube an LS motor. It fires instantly and is purring quietly. Start an LS that hasn't been prelude... you'll find out what 16 hammering lifters sound like. It'll quiet down in 10 - 30 seconds or so. But I'd rather not put a new motor through that racket.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Get your popcorns ready.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Get your popcorns ready.

Nah Russell is right, the more you can do to protect your motor the better. My way works but definitely can be approved on
davidscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Mio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_camaro View Post
OK so after doing a rebuild on a LS1 in a TA. What's the best way if breaking the motor in. I've always been told to let the motor warm up check for any leaks then hold the RPM at around 3500-4000 for 15min give or take to seat the new rings in. Then change the oil. Then drive it easy for the next 500 miles then change the oil again.
The 3500 RPM for 15minutes is for flat tapet cam, not rings. LS engines are roller cams, no special break-in. Go find a GM LS crate engine manual online somewhere and follow that.

Steps I would follow:
- pre-lube as suggested above.
- start it, check for leaks.
- drive it, running in up the RPM range gradually for the first 30 miles. rings should be good by then.
- drop the oil, check for metal.
- personally I would put another couple hundred miles on it before I really hammer on it.
- drop oil and filter at 1000 miles or end of driving season.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote