Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Got it back today and took it for a long, happy ride

The car runs and sounds great.

The dealer, Griffin Chevy in Menomonee Falls that worked on the repairs were courteous and seemed thorough and professional.

The Service tech Brad who worked on the car told me that he replaced all the lifters because a tapping sound on left side of engine and the codes he got from the car led him to a service bulletin instructing him to replace lifters and manifold. Engine put back together and oil changed.

As an aside Brad did confirm that they were the stock AFM lifters that come with all 2016 SS whether A8 or M6 transmission. Brad also states my M8 SS has AFM.

He let the car idle for about an hour with no problems, shut it down and then finished his shift and left for the night. When restarting car next morning check engine light came on and there was a hard misfire cylinder 5. Checked PSI cylinder 1=110PSI, 3=105PSI 5=51PSI, 7=110PSI. After call to GM and other checks he replaced the entire left cylinder head which included valves and springs on all 4 cylinders. Also replaced all left lifters, valve lifter oil assembly and both rocker arms and pushrods for cylinder #5. Put back together and changed oil again. He said top of cylinder #5 looked normal and valve was just barely bent and no visible damage to the naked eye except for a slight discoloration.. Chevy has one other known case, same cylinder #5. Hopefully isolated and fixed to never return.

The convertible top cover just needed a pin.

Body shop says paint should be fine. I'll keep an eye on it and use the appropriate thread.

Snow coming Wednesday so glad I got to drive her today.

Wish me luck!
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #16
JeffFox

Correction I have an M6 (SIX)

no such thing as an M8 to my knowlege!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #17
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
What can cause this? You do have an M6..
The car was mis-shifted causing over rev, floated the valve and the piston smacked it. Then killed the lifter
That is what I was thinking. That is textbook damage from missing the shift and going 4th to 3rd at WOT instead of 4th to 5th.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #18
AlwaysAmerican

Drives: 15 Silverado, 15 Corvette 2LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFox View Post
My nearly new SS has been at the dealer for 1 week after check engine light, check emissions and rough idle occurred. Hope to pick it up tomorrow. Diagnosis was collapsed lifters and bent #5 cylinder intake valve. I am very concerned that the engine may have a serious defect and short life span. Please share your knowledge.

Also having convertible top mechanism part failures and paint defect issues so advice/shared experience on "lemon law" would be much appreciated.
Happened to me, make sure they replace ALL the lifters and valves on the side that caused issues. Or you will be back, I had to take mine back for other lifters collapsing and wouldn't take the car back until they replaced them all.. (you don't just replace one or two.. the correct way is all of them)

Think it happened around 250 miles? Limped it back to the dealer 3 days later
Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #19
JeffFox

Always American how is your car?

Glad to know I am not the only one. How is car now? How long and how many miles ago did you have problems? Are you happy with the fix?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
JeffFox

"Always American how is your car?
Glad to know I am not the only one. How is car now? How long and how many miles ago did you have problems? Are you happy with the fix?"

Issue happened sat 2/18, picker her up yesterday and drove about 60 miles so far so good. Rain today, snow tomorrow so I won't drive it again until at least sat when it is predicted to be 45F.

Very happy so far - thanks for asking.

Will update this thread if any issues occur
Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #21
billyspeed
BILLYSPEED

Drives: 2016 black camaro SS
Had my lifters replace as well.
No issues or noises.just got check engine light and rough engine all the sudden.
Car is a 2016 2ss automatic with 5500 miles. Had car back from dealer in a day and no issue so far.
��
2016 camaro SS sold
billyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #22
JeffFox

1 month and 700 miles with no problems to report. Very fun car to drive and own. Anxiously awaiting warmer weather.

Hope the others who reported this issue make out as well as I have so far.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
If it's not too late, see if they'll replace the AFM lifters and other AFM stuff with regular lifters. Basically, see if they'll buy an AFM delete kit and install for you.

Heck, if it was me, it'd be worth it to buy the kit myself, if they'd install it for free.
A dealer will never do this.

The conversion requires a tune as well as hardware.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #24
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
I just had my dealer call me .....they're finishing a PDI on my brand-new 2017 when 1LE SS ......

there is a recall notice on all cylinders hEADS for the 6.2 L engine apparently they're all being swapped out… I can't find anything else on the Internet about this anyone else have info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFox View Post
The car runs and sounds great.

The dealer, Griffin Chevy in Menomonee Falls that worked on the repairs were courteous and seemed thorough and professional.

The Service tech Brad who worked on the car told me that he replaced all the lifters because a tapping sound on left side of engine and the codes he got from the car led him to a service bulletin instructing him to replace lifters and manifold. Engine put back together and oil changed.

As an aside Brad did confirm that they were the stock AFM lifters that come with all 2016 SS whether A8 or M6 transmission. Brad also states my M8 SS has AFM.

He let the car idle for about an hour with no problems, shut it down and then finished his shift and left for the night. When restarting car next morning check engine light came on and there was a hard misfire cylinder 5. Checked PSI cylinder 1=110PSI, 3=105PSI 5=51PSI, 7=110PSI. After call to GM and other checks he replaced the entire left cylinder head which included valves and springs on all 4 cylinders. Also replaced all left lifters, valve lifter oil assembly and both rocker arms and pushrods for cylinder #5. Put back together and changed oil again. He said top of cylinder #5 looked normal and valve was just barely bent and no visible damage to the naked eye except for a slight discoloration.. Chevy has one other known case, same cylinder #5. Hopefully isolated and fixed to never return.

The convertible top cover just needed a pin.

Body shop says paint should be fine. I'll keep an eye on it and use the appropriate thread.

Snow coming Wednesday so glad I got to drive her today.

Wish me luck!
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote