Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #1457
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
It's very possible. Curious as to to why I am the only one that has shown a change in the afr though?
I don't think you're the only one. I had a tuner tell me he's seen this happen on other Camaros with the wedge.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #1458
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
For what its worth I just installed mine this afternoon and the car feels stronger down low. Top end feels the same but below 5000 rpm it feels better. Also the throttle response is what I'm most impressed with. from a stop when I would be light on the pedal my car would have a little hesitation now thats all gone.
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #1459
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I wish the dyno operator was worth a crap. I will not be going back there again. The kid had no throttle control so the graphs below 3500 are not comparable.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1460
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I don't think you're the only one. I had a tuner tell me he's seen this happen on other Camaros with the wedge.
Where do you think the extra air is coming from that causes it to run leaner?

How many people with wedges have been tuned? Has this thing taken off and it is a well kept secret?

Here is my stock dyno with stock airbox no tune.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #1461
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Where do you think the extra air is coming from that causes it to run leaner?

How many people with wedges have been tuned? Has this thing taken off and it is a well kept secret?

Here is my stock dyno with stock airbox no tune.
No idea I'm just relaying info that was shared with my by a very well-respected shop/tuner.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #1462
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
Doing any type of a direct before and after comparison on an induction part of any type on an E38 car or truck is a waste of time. You have to let the car adjust to the part, assuming it’s a part that actually makes a true flow difference and or alters the ECU’s readings. The change that is being made in this test is the equivalent of swapping intake manifolds and trying to do a before and after comparison without driving on the Dyno to allow the ECU to properly adjust or not re-tuning to the part that was changed. It is always necessary to make different load pulls until the fuel trims and timing curve are dialed in. This normally takes 28-32 miles.We always drive a min of 48 miles on the Dyno, making med and full pulls in between, never stopping the rollers.Doing this gets you close but for the ECU to fully dial in it takes about 75-100miles;it doesn’t matter if it’s a Camaro or a Tahoe. This will be reflected in the timing curve and final fuel trim curve. This is why the car is so inconsistent on your Dyno runs after the change is made in stock and or tuned form. There is a major difference in the flow property that is now occuring inside your intake manifolds runners. The problem is, most simply see it as a spacer, and think it’s no big deal.That is far from the case, it just happens to be a small part in a much larger induction combination. The evidence that the Power Wedge is doing its job in this test is on the Dyno-graph. Notice the gains in bottom end and midrange power leading to additional top end power. That is Ram-tuning/pressure wave manipulation inside the intake runners. The Power Wedge strengthens the bottom of the pressure wave so that it can reach a higher peak, this helps to extend the wave momentum further up the power curve. The ECU needs mileage to learn this, bottom line is, the car will make more power when you allow the E38 ECU to dial in properly. Only at this point will you begin to get full timing advance, full MAF scaling and reach the true and final AFR.
VR Tech
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1463
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I wouldn't say that it's a complete waste of time... Considering I showed an instant gain which I consider to be pretty good gain for what your part is doing a back to back comparison. In theory the gain should only get bigger with more driving time.

Or should I have seen no gain at all doing a direct swap and run?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #1464
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
This is why some have reported feeling more response after driving for a while than when it was first installed.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #1465
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@vararam.com View Post
Doing any type of a direct before and after comparison on an induction part of any type on an E38 car or truck is a waste of time. You have to let the car adjust to the part, assuming it’s a part that actually makes a true flow difference and or alters the ECU’s readings. The change that is being made in this test is the equivalent of swapping intake manifolds and trying to do a before and after comparison without driving on the Dyno to allow the ECU to properly adjust or not re-tuning to the part that was changed. It is always necessary to make different load pulls until the fuel trims and timing curve are dialed in. This normally takes 28-32 miles.We always drive a min of 48 miles on the Dyno, making med and full pulls in between, never stopping the rollers.Doing this gets you close but for the ECU to fully dial in it takes about 75-100miles;it doesn’t matter if it’s a Camaro or a Tahoe. This will be reflected in the timing curve and final fuel trim curve. This is why the car is so inconsistent on your Dyno runs after the change is made in stock and or tuned form. There is a major difference in the flow property that is now occuring inside your intake manifolds runners. The problem is, most simply see it as a spacer, and think it’s no big deal.That is far from the case, it just happens to be a small part in a much larger induction combination. The evidence that the Power Wedge is doing its job in this test is on the Dyno-graph. Notice the gains in bottom end and midrange power leading to additional top end power. That is Ram-tuning/pressure wave manipulation inside the intake runners. The Power Wedge strengthens the bottom of the pressure wave so that it can reach a higher peak, this helps to extend the wave momentum further up the power curve. The ECU needs mileage to learn this, bottom line is, the car will make more power when you allow the E38 ECU to dial in properly. Only at this point will you begin to get full timing advance, full MAF scaling and reach the true and final AFR.
VR Tech
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #1466
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@vararam.com View Post
VR Tech
Holy crap. That is pure and utter nonsense.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #1467
LBV

Drives: G8 GXP manual
Anyone else noticing a slight whistling sound for a few miles when the engine is still cold? This is as the RPM's rise.

EDIT - ignore that - it was a new in-car electronic item that was whistling. Sorry VR.

Zeta platform, LS3,TR6060 tranny ... ya, it's a 4-dr Camaro!

Borla cat-back, H&R springs, & Sprintbooster & I love it!

Last edited by LBV; 09-23-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Correction.
LBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #1468
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
"Holy crap. That is pure and utter nonsense."

How so? Do not these ECM's have a "learn" feature in them. Even my OBD1 computer has some "learn" capabilities in it. These newer E38 ECM's along with the new software are light years ahead of it.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #1469
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
"Holy crap. That is pure and utter nonsense."

How so? Do not these ECM's have a "learn" feature in them. Even my OBD1 computer has some "learn" capabilities in it. These newer E38 ECM's along with the new software are light years ahead of it.
If that is the only things you caught as nonsense, then you don't know what he is referring to.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #1470
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
If that is the only things you caught as nonsense, then you don't know what he is referring to.
There is a lot in the post but condensed it is pretty much about the learning process. I watch my FT's a lot and at minimum can confirm that it takes much longer that one would think for the STFTs to settle near zero and the LTFTs to become predictable at a give TPS, load, etc.

But outside of the FTs point, I don't want any part of that discussion.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote