Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #141
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
Fugly space ship styling. Looks like a Taurus.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #142
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
WTF happened to this thread?
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #143
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
The A5 currently has a weight range from 3583 lbs to 4034 lbs, but they all have I4 engines.
So you can't have the S5 with the V8 in the States?
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #144
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
It's going to weigh 3,300 lbs? with today's safety standards?!

i'll believe that when i see it.
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package. ,Hurst short throw shifter
With bronze bushings .
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #145
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Blew up?
Not quite. It still ran, but something went wrong in it, and it started burning oil at a ridiculous rate.

They ended up trading it in (in the late 70s) for an F150 with a 300 inline-6. Now that was a good engine.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #146
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
So you can't have the S5 with the V8 in the States?
The S5 coupe with the 4.2L V8 is available in the US. I don't understand? The A5 is only available with the turbocharged 4 cylinder.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #147
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Ford Mustang's new European look: A big mistake?

Saw this on MSN Money. Let's not let something like this happen to the 6th Gen Camaro! I'm a fan of all American muscle cars. The competion keeps each of them on their toes and produces a better product each year for everyone. Ford has stepped up the game recently with IRS and a much improved engine (yeah, they have some transmission issues). I'd hate to see the next Stang be a glorified Fusion, just like the Mustang II was nothing more than a Pinto with pride! I think the Ford fans will keep this from happening. We're all anxiously awaiting what the next gen Camaro will be; let's not go down the 190 Hp, gas sipping, cast-iron bumper days of yore.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post...0-8b4761349204

Ford Mustang's new European look: A big mistake?

The Detroit auto giant is preparing to overhaul an American icon, even though many middle-aged fans may not be ready for an update.

By TheWeek.com 19 hours ago

Few things are more classically American than a Ford (F -0.77%) Mustang, the Pony car that spawned dozens of imitators after it was launched in 1964.

Today's Mustang still bears a strong resemblance to the original, part of a years-long attempt by Ford to ride a retro trend that saw baby boomers buying Volkswagen (VLKAY -1.59%) Beetles and Chevrolet (GM -0.42%) Camaros. But all that is about to change, says Mike Ramsey at the Wall Street Journal. Ford is planning a sleeker, more European look for its new Mustang in a bid to attract younger consumers who have less affection for muscle cars of yore. The new Mustang will reportedly launch in 2014 and will likely look like a Ford Fusion or the Evos model that was unveiled by Ford in late 2011.

Will the Mustang's new look backfire?

Ford might destroy an iconic brand. "This is a scary moment for Ford, and it really needs to tread carefully," says Justin Cupler at TopSpeed. The last time Ford tried to remake the Mustang -- the zippy Mustang II in the 1970s -- it "nearly killed off the Mustang name altogether." The Mustang is a "muscle car," and Ford would be wise not to stray too far with its makeover.

But the Mustang's style is getting old. The automotive world's retro trend may have "finally run its course," says Paul A. Eisenstein at MSNBC. Ford is facing "increasingly stringent fuel economy standards" in the U.S., and intense competition outside North America, necessitating not only a new look, but a new paradigm. "There are even rumors of a Mustang hybrid." Ford does risk "a tidal wave of opposition from traditionalists," but a younger generation might "be more accepting" of a toned-down Mustang.

And Ford has to move beyond baby boomers. The average Mustang buyer is 51 years old, and is considered a "near-luxury" consumer in "terms of spending habits," says Mike Ramsey at the Wall Street Journal. While baby boomers are "still an important demographic," fueling sales in minivans and SUVs, "that generation is near the end of its run as hard-charging car consumers." Ford and others face the difficult challenge of tapping into Generation Y -- those born in the 80s and 90s -- many of whom are less excited about owning cars than their parents.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #148
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
All too well, I remember the Mustang II. It was an atempt to retain styling cues from past generations, but it was based off of the Pinto. Cheap, and tacky to say the least.

Now,this was replaced by the Fox body Mustang, which in no way had any of the styl;ing cues of past generations. That style lasted a long time on the market. (Even the onslaught of the FWD - Mustang (aka - Probe).

No need to go on and on about the rest of Mustang History. However, Ford did a reasonably good job of evolving the vehicle and staying true to its roots.

Having said that all of the Manufacturers are facing the same challenges. GM, included. We do not know at this time what each will do for future generations of their products. They will change out of necessity. They will change from market demand. They will change due to federal mandets. It is inevitable.

Long tem, GM, won't lie still. Will we see smaller, less powerful and significantly different vehciles. THe simple answer is "Yes!'

It will depend on the engineering prowess and styling gurus, to make them palatable for the public. Will we see 4 Cylinder Tuirrbos inCamaros, possibly. They won't be like the Iron duke of the early '80's. Will we see turbo or even twin turbbo V-6's. Probably. Will the v-8 go away... Too early to tell. I believe they will be extremely pricey if they are continued for any length of time.

Overall, the world is changing. I am an older individual. Been theredone that, and I have all the T-shirts. It's part of the evolution of the market place.

I can only applaud Ford for having the guts to take this kind of risk. It will be up to the ther OEM's to respond accorrdingly.

Let the best product Win! - I hope it will be a Camaro!

Last edited by greenrail; 04-19-2012 at 11:09 AM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #149
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS

This is the closest I've seen to what I think we'll be in for.

I don't like it.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #150
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
The automotive world's retro trend may have "finally run its course," says Paul A. Eisenstein at MSNBC.

Tell that to the Porsche 911 designers and purchasers. That may be the best example of how to evolve a design keeping it fresh but instantly recognizable as 911.

I hope Chevy can improve the car, keep it looking fresh yet retain inherent design cues that help define the Camaro. Heck, I hope Ford can do that as well.

I'd hate to see a slab sided Malibu/Camaro or Fusion/Mustang...
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #151
Xorak

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post

This is the closest I've seen to what I think we'll be in for.

I don't like it.

that looks like the concept art for the 2005 Mustang
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #152
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
The Average age of a mustang buyer is 51?!
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #153
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
That drawing Bowtie Belle...is a merge of Camaro and Mustang. I've seen other similiar drawings, and they all have a very Camaro look to them.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #154
Xorak

Drives: ...
you guys are putting too much stock in a Wall St. Journal reporter's opinion.

Ford execs already said a while back that the Evos was a Fusion concept. It's not a Mustang concept car.
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote