Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #141
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
When a consumer is shopping for a product, usually the one with the best or most features wins as long as they provide benifits that the customer is looking for.

Forged pistons is a great feature to toot about because if you decide to upgrade your motor later unlike the Camaro you will have less chance of damaging the motor if something goes wrong. Now would you agree that the $400 extra you pay is worth the peace of mind that if you decided to upgrade your motor it would still be safe.

A decent set of forged pistons will run a consumer...me and you, about $700. When you buy thousands at a time, Id imagine they would be much cheaper.

As for the ls7 having hyperutectic pistons is because its a NA motor.

If you think the average person is going to buy a z28 and keep it stock, you better look at the gt500 crowd....I dont think Ive seen a stock one yet.

They are not building this car for the masses. Thats laughable at best. They are building it for people that have enough money to waste on a toy. You think this is going to be peoples daily drivers..I mean dont get me wrong I would daily drive it if I could afford it, but it still wouldnt be stock. Much like my SS to which a lot of people say "oh man 400hp is enough, why do you have to mess with it".

Stock z28 LOL.

Lets have a poll of how many stock SS Camaros there are on this board vs modified Camaros.
ur average consumer 90% of them isnt going to ask "hey does this engine have forged pistons? " a majority of them are going to ask "does it require special blinker fluid?" plain and simple

u think the pistons are so garbage. yet LS7's are in the high 600whp range w/ the stock pistons. reason why its not boost friendly is well extremly high compression as well as thing cylinder walls. now a car that is designed for boost can have plain ol' cast pistons and be able to handle alot more power cuz the engine is designed for it. now add the better piston even more power. add forged then yeah it would be able to handle more power. but the majority of the owners will not need forged pistons even if they modify the car. plain and simple. get it in ur head that 90%, of that 10% that actualy mod there car, will most likely not need forged pistons.

as far as how many stock camaro's are on this board, well i'm sure alot if u look at people not wanting to mod their car until warranty is up. and again possibly 80% of SS owners or even V6 owners arent on forums. forums are usually for people who modify their cars.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #142
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrfdsstr View Post
lets not jack the guys thread im just saying that gm is only give enough to beat the factoy gt500 and we will be responsable for thepower to beat a super snake!
There has been some information leaked that Ford will be coming out with a twin turbo GT500 for the 2012 year. I believe it will be using a version of the new 5.0 "Coyote" engine that will be out in the Mustang GT this coming year. Ford is labeling this new engine "Road Runner" to go along with the coyote, road runner engine theme. Cast aluminum block with forged aluminum pieces. I'm sure this is in response to what GM is trying to do with the Z28. Just be mindful though that every comparison being done to the GT500 and the Z28 is using the current GT500. In two years, it will not be the same GT500 that is available now. It will be a much better GT500 especially if this twin turbo rumor is true. There is no question in my mind that Ford is going to step the plate and come with something to combat the new Z28.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #143
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
ur average consumer 90% of them isnt going to ask "hey does this engine have forged pistons? " a majority of them are going to ask "does it require special blinker fluid?" plain and simple

u think the pistons are so garbage. yet LS7's are in the high 600whp range w/ the stock pistons. reason why its not boost friendly is well extremly high compression as well as thing cylinder walls. now a car that is designed for boost can have plain ol' cast pistons and be able to handle alot more power cuz the engine is designed for it. now add the better piston even more power. add forged then yeah it would be able to handle more power. but the majority of the owners will not need forged pistons even if they modify the car. plain and simple. get it in ur head that 90% of the people who purchase the car that will tune their car will most likely not need forged pistons.

as far as how many stock camaro's are on this board, well i'm sure alot if u look at people not wanting to mod their car until warranty is up. and again possibly 80% of SS owners or even V6 owners arent on forums. forums are usually for people who modify their cars.
This isnt a honda civic. People are going to ask questions about a $50,000 car plain and simple.

The stock hyperutectic pistons are fine in a NA application, even when making high hp. But add Nitrous/or FI and you will want Forged. I dont know whats hard to understand about that.

As for the modding....again most members here mod their SS camaros. Some will even wait until the warranty is up then mod it.....even better reason to have forged pistons dont ya think?

As for the v6 crowd....nobody cares about them. There will be some badass v6 camaros, but for the most part theres not going to be to many products for them.

Would you like to bet on how long it takes a company to make a pulley kit for the z28 if it comes out supercharged?

Wait what? theres no pulley kits for the GT500s? Surely people buying $50,000 cars with 500 hp would never mod them. Why would they

Again a set of forged pistons for me and you to buy is about $650-700 with pins. Gm would probably get it at half that, if even. So instead of paying the extra $200 (you dont need to include the price of the hyperutectic pistons in there now) you could have forged pistons.

But you guys would rather people buy the car. Order a set of pistons for $650-700 then spend probably another $2,000 to have them installed.

You guys are some bargin shoppers. You must of ordered the 1ss and not touched anything right? I mean no k&N, no exhaust, no shifters because it works fine bone stock in the corvettes, why would you need more than 430hp?
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #144
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
There has been some information leaked that Ford will be coming out with a twin turbo GT500 for the 2012 year. I believe it will be using a version of the new 5.0 "Coyote" engine that will be out in the Mustang GT this coming year. Cast aluminum block with forged aluminum pieces. I'm sure this is in response to what GM is trying to do with the Z28. Just be mindful though that every comparison being done to the GT500 and the Z28 is using the current GT500. In two years, it will not be the same GT500 that is available now. It will be a much better GT500 espcially if this twin turbo rumor is true. There is no question in my mind that Ford is going to step the plate and come with something to combat the new Z28.
Thank you. That means damn well that the z28 better have forged internals or it will be a joke compared to the gt500. I mean as the rumors are it doesnt even meet it spec for spec.

Wait a second....you bought at 2010 gt500 and its not bone stock? Why would you need more than 500hp?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #145
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
Sorry. Group hug!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Easy on the eye poking guys.

I'm down for a group hug lol. Besides, we all wan't the same thing, a bad @zz Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
You do realize that a crankshaft would not require any type of emission certification that a looser forged piston would.......right? We both don't know what the reason for the change was and that change is alot easier to put into the cost of a 48k car that will sell in the tens of thousand and not thousands like a 47k Z28 would. Neither one of us knows that GM has not superceded the number for the Corvette to the Camaro PN# or vice versa. Then those crankshafts are produced from the same material on the same tooling, the change is in a machining process, which different from a forged piston over a cast/hyperutectic piston.
I hope I didn't come off rude. I see your point and was just pointing out changes that have been made in existing motors. Can we still be friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Lets see how many want forged pistons? 3 members
How many dont care and dont want to pay the extra money to get forged for the 3 people demanding it? Everyone else

Rodimus, seems like the Body in White is exactly what you and your forged piston demanding friends need.
Ouch Milk, you cut me deep man, real deep.:slice:
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #146
nfamous209

Quote:
Thank you. That means damn well that the z28 better have forged internals or it will be a joke compared to the gt500. I mean as the rumors are it doesnt even meet it spec for spec.

Wait a second....you bought at 2010 gt500 and its not bone stock? Why would you need more than 500hp?
did i say no one will mod it, i said A MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE WON'T. sure there will be pulley kits even before the car comes out. did i even mention that there wont be? uhhh no. a majority of the buyers will leave there car stock, why cant u understand that?

i'm done trying to bring common sense to ur head. as well as every other person on here is trying to do. u have a builder stating he's getting 700+whp out of the LSA with ease and yet ur complaining. u have just about everyone stating that the stock pistons will be fine for the majority. and only a select few will need forged pistons. thats when theyre going like above 1000hp. like i said 40k car better have 40k interior quality. i'll more then happy being at 700-800whp, as about 80-90% of people that modify cars would be too.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #147
ironpeddler

I need 1000HP, and after I have 1000 I'd probably be saying that I want 1000 more.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #148
nfamous209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
I need 1000HP, and after I have 1000 I'd probably be saying that I want 1000 more.
see ur 1 out of the the many owners that are coocooo for hp lol. thought i was gonna say cocoa puffs lol. not saying u guys arent out there, they are. but theres just not many. and if u want 2000 hp u'll probably be stroking that engine. and i dont mean stroking in a perverted way either lol.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #149
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Quote:
did i say no one will mod it, i said A MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE WON'T. sure there will be pulley kits even before the car comes out. did i even mention that there wont be? uhhh no. a majority of the buyers will leave there car stock, why cant u understand that?

i'm done trying to bring common sense to ur head. as well as every other person on here is trying to do. u have a builder stating he's getting 700+whp out of the LSA with ease and yet ur complaining. u have just about everyone stating that the stock pistons will be fine for the majority. and only a select few will need forged pistons. thats when theyre going like above 1000hp. like i said 40k car better have 40k interior quality. i'll more then happy being at 700-800whp, as about 80-90% of people that modify cars would be too.

How can you honestly say a majority of people wont mod this car? What do you base that off of? I know 4 people with gt500s and not one of them are in stock form. I know a ton of people with ls1 camaros/gtos/G8s ect ect and not one of them are in stock form.

They will more than likely not be changing the interior of the z28. Surely if it costs to much to replace a piston they wont redesign anything inside. They may change a color or two, add recaro seats or add a better stereo at tops. Again its a performance car, not a luxury car, not an economy car, not an suv. Its not going to have tv headrests and starbucks coffee warmers or reclining seats with foot rests, or beer coolers.

The car is being built to kick ass. Not comfort rumps of old rich people. You will get the same interior. Its not ment to compete with cadillac or BMW. Get over it.

There are 0 drawbacks to having a forged piston in a performance car, one thats boosted at that.

Again Ill ask, if you could have the same car with forged pistons for $300 more which one would you want?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #150
ironpeddler

Quote:
see ur 1 out of the the many owners that are coocooo for hp lol. thought i was gonna say cocoa puffs lol. not saying u guys arent out there, they are. but theres just not many. and if u want 2000 hp u'll probably be stroking that engine. and i dont mean stroking in a perverted way either lol.
Yeah, it is more of a mindset than something that would actually come to pass lol. 1000hp and you are talking basically no hook-up anyway, 2000 would just be non-realistic. That being said, a car that hooks-up right and has 800 or 900hp will outrun a car that makes 1000hp and doesn't hook-up for squat. I don't know how many horses I piss away on a 600hp GT500 now, it's ridiculous thing just goes sideways way to much, gotta do some suspension changes.

Anyway, IMHO GM should still come with forged components. As i said a couple posts ago the 2012 GT500 is going to be alot different than the current GT500 which is what everyone is comparing the Z28 to. And the current GT500 can handle at least 800rwhp on the stock block. I'm sure the 2012 GT500 will be making over 600hp stock and be able to handle much more than that. While building this car GM should be looking at what Ford might do not what Ford has already done for the past few years.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #151
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #152
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
I see your picture and I raise you two more!

99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #153
nfamous209

Quote:
How can you honestly say a majority of people wont mod this car? What do you base that off of? I know 4 people with gt500s and not one of them are in stock form. I know a ton of people with ls1 camaros/gtos/G8s ect ect and not one of them are in stock form.

They will more than likely not be changing the interior of the z28. Surely if it costs to much to replace a piston they wont redesign anything inside. They may change a color or two, add recaro seats or add a better stereo at tops. Again its a performance car, not a luxury car, not an economy car, not an suv. Its not going to have tv headrests and starbucks coffee warmers or reclining seats with foot rests, or beer coolers.

The car is being built to kick ass. Not comfort rumps of old rich people. You will get the same interior. Its not ment to compete with cadillac or BMW. Get over it.

There are 0 drawbacks to having a forged piston in a performance car, one thats boosted at that.

Again Ill ask, if you could have the same car with forged pistons for $300 more which one would you want?
yeah i'm sure a majority of the peeps out there will put ur basic intake and exhaust and call it a day. so theyre modded. my bad. i was considering more like heads and cam, turbos superchargers. ya know. geez what was i thinking.

u say performance car. the z28 will be approximatly 45-50k, guestimation. current cts v, is 55ish. as well as the bmw. but those arent performance cars i guess. car being a few thousand off from the others. but hey the cts-v, m3, and 330 which the is as much as a loaded SS btw. arent perfomance cars.

great u know 4 of every body and all them have modded cars. great grand wonderfull. well i know people who have there cars modded. typically people who mod their cars kinda join together and become friends. and i also drive by many many many vettes, gto's fbody's g8's that arent modded. no exhaust doesnt mean crap. lets clarify by modded meaning internal engine work, or some type of boost. an exhaust sorry not a mod. its more for the sound.

like i said i drive my numerous gm v8 cars every day that arent modded.

hell when i worked in the bay area, my 2 hour commute i would see maybe 30 fbodies un modded and then 1 that had an exhaust.

like i stated. typically people who mod cars attract eachother.

here i'll make u happy. yes i hope gm does put forged pistons in it. but if not it will not be an epic fail. it will still be a winner. it would just give me a reason to stroke that SOB and slap a 4.0L whipple
Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #154
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

I never said it would be an epic fail. That was someone else. I know the car will be fine without them. But, it would be a better car with them, as well as a better selling point.