Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #155
Tigwelder

Drives: 2011 1LT Black with Orange stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
No...you want a manual in this type of car...its not a Toyota.
Tigwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #156
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable Keeve View Post
Actually, everything you mentioned, except for revving to 5500 and launching we can do w/ tapshift...
So, what you're saying is you can do it 1/2 way. My point is what's the point? It's a sports car, either you want a sports car or you don't?
It amazes me how many high end sports cars I see on the road that are automatic.
To me it just takes away from the vehicle something that is inately part of the car. Manual is for ballsy sports cars like Camaro, Vettes, Challengers, Chargers, Viper, et al.
Okay. If you're getting a 6cyl. then okay, but an SS no friggin way.
GET A MANUAL DUDE. YOU WON'T REGRET IT EVEN IF YOU BURN THE CLUTCH.
As for tap-shift, the only thing I want to be tappin' ain't in no vehicle. Nah mean?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #157
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L.TYCHE View Post
Look at the 1/4 mi V6 thread,with bolt ons 9 out of 10 are autos only 1 manual at #6. The manual may have more rear wheel HP but the auto has better 1/4 times ( bone stock,bolt on's and FI )

All the test reviews I have seen shown the manual faster.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #158
Jackivette
Jackivette

Drives: 2LT Victory Red with some extras!
Lady here with a 2LT 6 speed stick shift. I love shifting that powerful 2nd. I have been driving manual for more than 10 years, and I'm not tired of it. I missed the break of having a remote start when I bought mine, but I don't regret.

And guys teach your wives and girlfriends to drive manual; it is always an advantage, and something else to share. My husband and I enjoy it, we both like it. So, if we go out far away, both can drive and have fun trying to find someone who wants to race, ha, ha, ha.

Happy Sunday for you all!
Jackivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #159
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
This is true, for the mags. Maybe at the time they didnt know how to launch the auto or One cars IAT's were up more then the other or the guy driving the stick is good? Gear for gear the auto, like the V8's should be quicker to 60 or so but the V6 stick has steeper trans gears as well as the 10-15hp more to the ground vs the autos torque converter and maybe better launch ability.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #160
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
So, what you're saying is you can do it 1/2 way. My point is what's the point? It's a sports car, either you want a sports car or you don't?
It amazes me how many high end sports cars I see on the road that are automatic.
To me it just takes away from the vehicle something that is inately part of the car. Manual is for ballsy sports cars like Camaro, Vettes, Challengers, Chargers, Viper, et al.
As for tap-shift, the only thing I want to be tappin' ain't in no vehicle. Nah mean?
So at the drag strip do you race heads up or do you bracket race? How consistent are you at the track?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #161
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Both are great options, depends on your lifestlye. Me personally, had to get the manual because I like being able to drive down the road, clutch, REV and go back in gear and drive. Plus the fun burnouts and drifting and just feeling the car made it a must have. This is my DD in heavy traffic and Ive had surgery on my left knee so the clutch can be my enemy sometimes. But truthfully, the clutch is so effortless that it really makes it joyful to drive this car. Love my M6 V6
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #162
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
So at the drag strip do you race heads up or do you bracket race? How consistent are you at the track?
Who cares about the track. For most people 99% of driving is not done at the track. And, the debate about one being marginally faster than the other on a 10 - 13sec. run is besides the point.
Manual stick is "waaaaaayyyyyy" more exciting and technical than tapping a lever on a steering wheel, unless of course you're driving an F1 vehicle, besides that nothing can compare to a stick shift.
And, if someone beats me at the drag strip because he has an automatic who cares, there's always a faster vehicle out there somewhere.
Besides, I prefer road course driving anyway, perhaps that's the reason why I like stick shift.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #163
Untouchable Keeve

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Yeah I understand what you're saying, I like driving stick, but get kinda tired of it at times with as much I drive on a daily basis. I def have the 6 though, I don't think I'd get an 8 with an automatic either. Even with my auto 6, there's been plenty of opportunities to tap more than just the shift buttons.
Untouchable Keeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #164
J.L.TYCHE
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2011 Corvette
Quote:
Look in the V6 1/4 Drag section and tell me about all the reviews
J.L.TYCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #165
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
People may be confusing dyno HP with track times. I think most people can't shift fast enough to compete with the auto tranny, but if they can then I would say the extra HP would help.

Personally I would have manual because I am one of those guys who loves to shift, but my wife cant drive stick ( I have tried to teach trust me ) and she needs to drive my car on emergency situations so... lol.

Pick what works for you, they all look the same from the outside.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #166
Sunlover

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
As for teaching the wife to drive a stick...maybe you should have somebody "impartial" help her. I remember when I was a teenager, and trying to learn to drive a stick. My boyfriend's teeth ground louder than the gears did...he swore I'd NEVER learn, but when his brother went out with me, I had no problems at all. Once his brother told him I could handle it, he lost his anxiety about it, and I never ground another gear.
Sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #167
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
LOL she did drive my s10 30 miles and hated every minute of it. It was an emergency situation and she stalled it several times. It is not that she can't learn she has no desire. I have made it clear now that we are starting to have kids with cars and can drive, my next car will be stick lol. I do miss it, although I don't think I can shift well enough to beat the auto shift on the track.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #168
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Who cares about the track. For most people 99% of driving is not done at the track. And, the debate about one being marginally faster than the other on a 10 - 13sec. run is besides the point.
Manual stick is "waaaaaayyyyyy" more exciting and technical than tapping a lever on a steering wheel, unless of course you're driving an F1 vehicle, besides that nothing can compare to a stick shift.
And, if someone beats me at the drag strip because he has an automatic who cares, there's always a faster vehicle out there somewhere.
Besides, I prefer road course driving anyway, perhaps that's the reason why I like stick shift.
So i'll take that as a NO? A LOT of guys here do care about the track. Do you understand the concept of bracket racing? Where the key is to be as consistent as possible.

Also in a lot of base cars like the V6 Camaro and the V6 Mustang (in the past at least), they tend to get less than stellar manual trannys. They tend to be weaker and a lot of times they tend to be hard, if not impossible to shift once you start upping the power!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote