Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #155
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I wanted a V6 but I couldn't find one with a 3 speed on the column.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #156
Repooh
Certified: Slow

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I wanted a V6 but I couldn't find one with a 3 speed on the column.

2014 Ashen Grey Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Winter Vehicle- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Repooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #157
HogsFan75

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
I heard someone say, use your money for memories instead of material things, we'll I didn't take that advice but it's great advice.

I loved my 1LT. Over 300 HP was good enough for me

Till I drove my friends 1LE and loved the handling and the torque so much I had to buy this:

FIRE-EMS-Tundra-Club
Member #88
I had a 2015 WRX before my 1LE. I justified it because it was practical, had 4 doors and room inside, and got decent fuel mileage. Plus it was almost 300 hp turbo stock.

I dumped thousands into that car in 14 months and was never truly happy with the power. It was fun to drive and don't get me wrong, it was a great car but I was always wondering if I should have gotten an STI or a Camaro.
Nevermind the fact that I'm 40 and caught endless grief for getting a "ricer" from everyone.

Then my brother got a 2015 1LE and I made the mistake in riding in it.

After that I had to have one. My buddy is a dealer and they had 1 more 15 1LE on the lot and he made me a great deal on my WRX so I traded. In hindsight I wish I had went this route to begin with. I was never truly happy with a 4 banger.

Also, I put about 6 grand in the engine in the WRX and it made over 300 whp. It was still slower than my 1LE is stock. To increase power more would have required an upgraded turbo and forged internals. Big bucks.

Buying the 1LE was a no brainer. No regrets.
HogsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #158
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I didn't get a V8 because I couldn't afford the price tag at the time. I always loved Camaros. But I love my V6. I may just wish I upgraded to the RS though.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #159
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt-15 View Post
I keep getting asked this way to much my 2015 2LT has plenty of power for me, I'm just happy to get my dream car a Camaro
I get asked why not a SS? isn't it faster?
Why does it matter if I bought a V6 and not a V8 ?
A new '15 SS is 43,000 my 2LT was 31,000 and my daily driver.
I don't see them with a Camaro ,why do they care so much? They do tell me they like it, that's good
I swear to you, I can't leave the house without getting a compliment along with a group of stares coming down the street. When it's bright and sunny out....man....my thing looks so good.

I had a Dodge Charger and a Dodge Avenger before this, my Charger had 22 inch chrome on it, but this Camaro is by far the best car I've driven in terms of looks and attention.

I've only had one person talk about the engine, I did a thread about it on here (famously) where I was a little "emotional". I still ended up F-ing the girl multiple times though. Besides HER, I have not heard anybody else in PERSON ask about what engine is in there. All they say are:

- "Nice Rims"

- "Nice Car"

Here's the reality though. You have pony cars and muscle cars. Pony cars are ones with a "sporty image" solely, muscle cars might have a sporty image but they also have 8 or more cylinders in it. So all V6 Camaros are pony cars (and there's nothing wrong with that, it just means you have a sports car) and you can make the ARGUMENT that V8 Camaros are muscle cars, even though many people say NO MODERN DAY Camaro is a muscle car anymore. They say all of these cars are just sports cars (ponies).

Other than the better SOUND, I have absolutely no idea why someone picks a V8 engine over a V6 engine for basic....daily.....driving. That SOUND is great though, but YOU have to determine if that sound is:

- Worth another $10k - $15k upfront in purchase price
- Worth more in gas costs going forward
- Worth more in insurance cost going forward

If it is, then get the package with the V8 engine. If not, you can always do things to make the sound of your V6 more "muscular" such as adding the MRTv2. It won't be as LOUD as the V8, but it will have a "muscular" note added to it which will serve you right for only about $650 - $700 installed.

Car Enthusiasts and Trolls Mention V8s

The ONLY time you will mainly hear anybody talk about a V8 is if they are car enthusiasts or internet trolls. This represents less than 3% of the people in the population. The other 97% will just see a BRIGHT, shiny Camaro and say it looks hot!

Me personally, I'm NOT around these people. I'm not even a car guy, I'm just learning (honestly) just WTF a V6 or a V8 is . I drove a Charger for 4 years (V6) and didn't even know anything about a V8.

I drive the cars for the LOOKS....period. I can give a damn about the engine or how much torque it has or how fast it goes to 60.
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #160
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
IBTL...
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #161
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
I swear to you, I can't leave the house without getting a compliment along with a group of stares coming down the street. When it's bright and sunny out....man....my thing looks so good.

I had a Dodge Charger and a Dodge Avenger before this, my Charger had 22 inch chrome on it, but this Camaro is by far the best car I've driven in terms of looks and attention.

I've only had one person talk about the engine, I did a thread about it on here (famously) where I was a little "emotional". I still ended up F-ing the girl multiple times though. Besides HER, I have not heard anybody else in PERSON ask about what engine is in there. All they say are:

- "Nice Rims"

- "Nice Car"

Here's the reality though. You have pony cars and muscle cars. Pony cars are ones with a "sporty image" solely, muscle cars might have a sporty image but they also have 8 or more cylinders in it. So all V6 Camaros are pony cars (and there's nothing wrong with that, it just means you have a sports car) and you can make the ARGUMENT that V8 Camaros are muscle cars, even though many people say NO MODERN DAY Camaro is a muscle car anymore. They say all of these cars are just sports cars (ponies).

Other than the better SOUND, I have absolutely no idea why someone picks a V8 engine over a V6 engine for basic....daily.....driving. That SOUND is great though, but YOU have to determine if that sound is:

If it is, then get the package with the V8 engine. If not, you can always do things to make the sound of your V6 more "muscular" such as adding the MRTv2. It won't be as LOUD as the V8, but it will have a "muscular" note added to it which will serve you right for only about $650 - $700 installed.

The ONLY time you will mainly hear anybody talk about a V8 is if they are car enthusiasts or internet trolls. This represents less than 3% of the people in the population. The other 97% will just see a BRIGHT, shiny Camaro and say it looks hot!

Me personally, I'm NOT around these people. I'm not even a car guy, I'm just learning (honestly) just WTF a V6 or a V8 is . I drove a Charger for 4 years (V6) and didn't even know anything about a V8.

I drive the cars for the LOOKS....period. I can give a damn about the engine or how much torque it has or how fast it goes to 60.
This guy is pure gold
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #162
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt-15 View Post
I keep getting asked this way to much my 2015 2LT has plenty of power for me, I'm just happy to get my dream car a Camaro
I get asked why not a SS? isn't it faster?
Why does it matter if I bought a V6 and not a V8 ?
A new '15 SS is 43,000 my 2LT was 31,000 and my daily driver.
I don't see them with a Camaro ,why do they care so much? They do tell me they like it, that's good
you got your v6 because that's what you could afford at the time... you bought your camaro used i see.. have fun with it
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #163
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:

- "Nice Rims"

- "Nice Car"

So, I think this viewpoint represents perfectly why GM sells a V6 model - because there are plenty of people that could care less if the car is fast or sounds a certain way, they just want that look. There is nothing at all wrong with that, in fact the majority of the car buying public falls into that category.

There is the other side of that segment, which are the folks that bought the car specifically for the engine, even over the looks. I think you find that's the majority on a site like this. For me, I bought my Camaro because of the engine/transmission. The looks matter, but less-so than the drive-train to me. The LS3/T6060 represents just about exactly what I want out of a car.

My last car was a Dodge Charger R/T Daytona in GoManGo orange. A beautiful car, but nowhere near as fun to drive. Even though the Camaro gets worse mileage, is harder to get in and out of, much hard to put my 4yr old in and out of and is generally much less "useful" than the Charger, I love this car far more because of the driving experience.

The point is, everybody is in what they are in because it aligned with what they value. Somebody else might value something different - I wouldn't let those folks bug you. If they feel the need to push that on you then I feel bad for their insecurities.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #164
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Other than the better SOUND, I have absolutely no idea why someone picks a V8 engine over a V6 engine for basic....daily.....driving.
Because part-throttle acceleration is noticeably stronger, which makes for more relaxed driving. I can't speak for anybody but my wife and myself here, but it's nice for us to realize that 100% wide open throttle is rarely necessary. It definitely matters here that none of our cars can do a forced downshift based on what either of us might be doing with the skinny pedal under the right foot.

Sound has almost nothing to do with it (other than I'm still not crazy about what her flat-four Subie sounds like in certain situations).

Heh . . . speaking to HogsFan on Subies . . . as of this moment if we had to suddenly replace her LGT, a WRX might well be at the top of a very short list. At 68 I could hardly care less what "everyone" might think, but anybody who doesn't know me and insisted on vocalizing such thoughts might come away from a demo ride "with a different point of view". All that said, I do understand why you traded up.

Norm
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #165
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
The point is, everybody is in what they are in because it aligned with what they value. Somebody else might value something different - I wouldn't let those folks bug you. If they feel the need to push that on you then I feel bad for their insecurities.
I 100% agree. And to add to the discussion about people who bring up the V8, some people might refer to these guys (and few gals) as people who are insecure about something...but I honestly believe they just represent a niche group of car enthusiasts who have an outdated BELIEF SYSTEM. Let me break this down.

- Their belief system is that without a shadow of a doubt, a Charger, Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, and other related "sports cars" MUST have a V8 in them to represent a particular type of tradition of a "FAST CAR"....because they are under the IMPRESSION, that the units only had a V8 in the past number one....and number two...it's only the V8 that can make it go FAST.

- That's what they believe, so that is why even if they in particular are driving some beat up 2002 Malibu with rust everywhere, if they see you at Speedway with a Camaro and no "SS" badges, they might come up to you and say something about why didn't you buy a V8 because again, their mentality is that without the V8, your Camaro can't go FAST!

Listen, the belief system is both outdated and inaccurate.

#1.) The traditional Camaros DID include a V6 engine, there were not only V8 engines in those units. But these people don't know this........

#2.) V6 Technology is NOT what it used to be, and the technology has been updated so much so that modern day Camaros with a V6 make more horsepower than Camaros with V8s in them did of the Past. We are talking 330hp on stock V6. BUT, if you were to add performance upgrades or even a supercharger, you can get well over 450hp and blow away a stock Camaro V8 on a track. But again, these people don't know this.....

For a daily driver, anything over 350hp is overkill, you aren't even going to use the additional performance that's included. If you are looking to race, why are you stopping at a stock V8 should then become the question??

But the stock V8s have a much LOUDER SOUND. The sound is awesome. It just comes down to you as a person, and do you want to pay the extra $10k - $15k for that sound. To me...I just added the MRTv2 for now, it doesn't need to be any louder.
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #166
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
I 100% agree. And to add to the discussion about people who bring up the V8, some people might refer to these guys (and few gals) as people who are insecure about something...but I honestly believe they just represent a niche group of car enthusiasts who have an outdated BELIEF SYSTEM. Let me break this down.

- Their belief system is that without a shadow of a doubt, a Charger, Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, and other related "sports cars" MUST have a V8 in them to represent a particular type of tradition of a "FAST CAR"....because they are under the IMPRESSION, that the units only had a V8 in the past number one....and number two...it's only the V8 that can make it go FAST.

- That's what they believe, so that is why even if they in particular are driving some beat up 2002 Malibu with rust everywhere, if they see you at Speedway with a Camaro and no "SS" badges, they might come up to you and say something about why didn't you buy a V8 because again, their mentality is that without the V8, your Camaro can't go FAST!

Listen, the belief system is both outdated and inaccurate.

#1.) The traditional Camaros DID include a V6 engine, they were not only V8 engines in those units. But these people don't know this........

#2.) V6 Technology is NOT what it used to be, and the technology has been updated so much so that modern day Camaros with a V6 make more horsepower than Camaros with V8s in them did of the Past. We are talking 330hp on stock V6. BUT, if you were to add performance upgrades or even a supercharger, you can get well 450hp and blow away a stock Camaro V8 on a track. But again, these people don't know this.....

For a daily driver, anything over 350hp is overkill, you aren't even going to use the additional performance that's included. If you are looking to race, why are you stopping at a stock V8 should then become the question??

But the stock V8s have a much LOUDER SOUND. The sound is awesome. It just comes down to you as a person, and do you want to pay the extra $10k - $15k for that sound. To me...I just added the MRTv2 for now, it doesn't need to be any louder.
There's just so much in this post, I can't even...
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #167
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
@ Tenacity, Sorry, but I must say that the V8 offers more than just SOUND. I've driven the V6 and the feeling is entirely different. From the brakes, to the handling. Engine wise, even when i'm not pushing it, the V8 just has a way more pleasurable feel under normal driving conditions due to it's torque.

So if you want to feel better about having a V6 by saying the only difference is the "SOUND", go for it. But I know better that the extra $10K offers more than just sound. There are other options you get the benefit of as well. The V6 has it's place....for value and looks mainly. But if a person such as myself values driving pleasure/feel as well, the V8 makes more sense when driven side-by-side with the V6.

J
Old 08-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #168
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
These comments are GOLD LOL. Don't understand why people are so butt-hurt over this.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote