Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #155
Rcamaro
drive hard

Drives: 2nd Gen Camaro
to me driving the camaro was never about how fast i can go, any idiot and their grandma can put the pedal to the floor and speed, it takes no talent.

I learn the boundries of my car through handling, driving controlled agressive but safe and number one always staying as far as i can from other drivers on the road. Ive always had old cars as daily drivers and have just learned to respect the power of my car and the fact that it is a machine and it has limits. Even these new camaros have physical limits.

Now i am all for the driving experience of the car, but you wont find me tailgating ever ( even when in a rush) , or weaving in and out of traffic, racing stoplights, or flying down the interstate at 130. Been there done that and learned my lesson before anyone else or me got hurt when i was first learning to drive. I decided to start driving like a grown up a long time ago. For the sake of mine and others lives, doesn't mean i don't have fun in my car...

its not how fast you go but how you get there in my car

be safe ya'll, take it to the track if you want to test the limits, otherwise be agressive with it but safe around other drivers, you never know who the other driver is; could be your daughter or son someday...

take care camaro lovers

Last edited by Rcamaro; 11-21-2009 at 03:35 AM.
Rcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #156
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
The only time I am driving the speed limit is just before I exceed it.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #157
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I was driving to Bristol from Johnson City yesterday when I noticed on the 4 lane in Piney Flats where the speed limit drops for 55 to 45, they are installing speed cameras... I have noticed that hardly anyone slows down in that area, and most were going 65 to 70 through there even on the 55 areas... Guess they will make alot of money on that section of roadway...
Old 11-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #158
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcamaro View Post
to me driving the camaro was never about how fast i can go, any idiot and their grandma can put the pedal to the floor and speed, it takes no talent.

I learn the boundries of my car through handling, driving controlled agressive but safe and number one always staying as far as i can from other drivers on the road. Ive always had old cars as daily drivers and have just learned to respect the power of my car and the fact that it is a machine and it has limits. Even these new camaros have physical limits.

Now i am all for the driving experience of the car, but you wont find me tailgating ever ( even when in a rush) , or weaving in and out of traffic, racing stoplights, or flying down the interstate at 130. Been there done that and learned my lesson before anyone else or me got hurt when i was first learning to drive. I decided to start driving like a grown up a long time ago. For the sake of mine and others lives, doesn't mean i don't have fun in my car...

its not how fast you go but how you get there in my car

be safe ya'll, take it to the track if you want to test the limits, otherwise be agressive with it but safe around other drivers, you never know who the other driver is; could be your daughter or son someday...

take care camaro lovers

Exactly.

It never fails to amaze me that people think that they are such great drivers just because they now own a high performance car. Especially the younger kids with little knowledge or experience. Guys, be careful out there. Maturity; is driving a car that you know can do 150 and not having to do it just to prove something.

How many of you know what "understeer" or "oversteer" means and what to do about it? If the rear comes out on a corner, when do you add power and in which case do you reduce power? Don't know? Better hope it doesn't happen then. What is meant by weight transfer, or contact patch area and how do you manage it? What must you not do on a steep downhill corner? What's a friction circle? Trail braking, heel and toe, rev matching. What are these? Do you know why you have ABS? (Hint- it's not for braking) How does traction control work? when do you switch it off? What is stability control and how does it work?

Most drivers don't really have much need to know all these things for a daily commute but surely if you are driving fast on the street, you should have some idea of what you are doing.

How many of you spend thousands of bucks on engine and suspension mods and not a dime on an advanced driving school which would give the best performance return on your money? Improve your skills before you hurt yourself or others.

My advice for new drivers is try auto crossing (Cheap and best learning experience in my book) or a track day, with instruction of course.

I know I'm going to be flamed, but i've said my piece.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #159
1sickss

Drives: BADDEST SS IN ATL!!!!
its hard not to speed
1sickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #160
Blitz63

Drives: 2SS RS L99 Black w/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketebo22 View Post
yes! lots of open road. i love the twistys in the hills. thats why i have a sportbike, i love speed and agility...i live in the perfect area for it! you going to sturgis next year?
Oh yeah !!! We stay at Mooneys Hog Farm and Campground in Piedmont. Exit 46 off I-90 behind the Elk Creek Campground. Don't have the sport bike....got the geezer gilde...I mean Street Glide...lol!! We are trying to ride out this year ...will see how it goes.
Hit me up when you start that Sturgid thread.

Last edited by Blitz63; 11-21-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Blitz63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #161
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosgt View Post

Exactly.

It never fails to amaze me that people think that they are such great drivers just because they now own a high performance car. Especially the younger kids with little knowledge or experience. Guys, be careful out there. Maturity; is driving a car that you know can do 150 and not having to do it just to prove something.

How many of you know what "understeer" or "oversteer" means and what to do about it? If the rear comes out on a corner, when do you add power and in which case do you reduce power? Don't know? Better hope it doesn't happen then. What is meant by weight transfer, or contact patch area and how do you manage it? What must you not do on a steep downhill corner? What's a friction circle? Trail braking, heel and toe, rev matching. What are these? Do you know why you have ABS? (Hint- it's not for braking) How does traction control work? when do you switch it off? What is stability control and how does it work?

Most drivers don't really have much need to know all these things for a daily commute but surely if you are driving fast on the street, you should have some idea of what you are doing.

How many of you spend thousands of bucks on engine and suspension mods and not a dime on an advanced driving school which would give the best performance return on your money? Improve your skills before you hurt yourself or others.

My advice for new drivers is try auto crossing (Cheap and best learning experience in my book) or a track day, with instruction of course.

Cheers.
A lot of good points/questions.
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #162
Rcamaro
drive hard

Drives: 2nd Gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosgt View Post

Exactly.

Cheers.

totally agree you can have all of the money in the world dumped into your car but if you don't know how to handle it or protect it, you lose it.

There are alot of cool people on this site that seem like they are pretty respectful and experienced when driving, i really like to see that, puts a big smile on my face. Makes me that much prouder to be a camaro fan.
Rcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #163
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I read the first 3 pages of this crap, all I care to read. There are some real winners here. They can flame back at me but I won't be on this thread to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescamaro View Post
Word. Fast driving isn't a problem, stupid driving is. Going 95 isn't dangerous. Going 95 through a stop sign at night is dangerous (as some people close to Buffalo, NY recently found out). I had four friends who died in an accident where the kid was going 95. Do I still speed? Hell yeah. Do I run stop signs on blind corners doing 95? No.
Still trying to figure this genious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I personally have no problem with people driving as fast as they want, provided the following scenarios are in order:

1. They are sober, not distracted (food, pop, cell phone, lots of people in car, etc.), and very, very observant drivers who know how to drive.

2. They are driving a car engineered to drive and maneuver at high speeds safely and effectively. The Camaro SS is. Most BMWs are. Most Cadillacs aren't.

3. They are smart enough and familiar enough with the vehicle they are driving to know it's limits and will adhere to them.

If you follow these, drive as fast as you want..... you will most likely NOT be the cause of any accident.
You left out #4, anticipating what the other drivers are going to do just before you get to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
The camaro is a very fast car and very easy to handle at high speeds. I'd like to see you on a track so you could prove that Parnelli. You're probably not as good as you think. And I seriously doubt you know your limits.
I have yet to see anyone really kill themselves because they lost control at those speeds... Going 100 on a highway isn't that big of a problem if there is no traffic and you have a car that can handle it (CAMARO).
Not all 2010s but does it matter? It's a lot more about the driver than it is about the car.
http://www.wesh.com/news/20716260/detail.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...tal_south.html
http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/69264077.html
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/TEENS+.....-a0122792708
http://cbs5.com/local/camaro.driver....2.1077764.html
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52153
http://www.zimbio.com/2010+Chevrolet...sh+Fatal+Crash

Just because people are stupid and drive sucky cars that aren't made to be driven at high speeds, doesn't mean those who do have cars meant for it, can't do it... I'm not saying I drive 100 through school zones... Hell no. But when I see NO CAR for a mile or so on the highway I gun it to see what my camaro can do.....
I know what mine will do. Doesn't mean I need to show it to myself every time I drive it.
What do you want on your headstone?

Quote:
50,000+ camaros,

60% are either 2SS/1SS.

Let's say that 80% of those with the 2SS/1SS speed.

How many speeding deaths have been linked to the camaro so far?

Yeah... speeding in a camaro doesn't seem to be killing very many people... I've seen about 8 total'd camaros which seem like sure death on impound lot sites. So we are talking about 8 speeding deaths out of 30,000 2SS/1SS...

Doesn't seem very high to me?
So you figure 8 is an acceptable #? I was just a kid when it was built but I did, later on, work 7 years for the same construction comany that built the St Louis Arch. When they contracted to do the project, they forecast 4 deaths on the project. That was acceptable back then, the insurance companies were prepared to pay.
Now it's not even acceptable to have a OSHA reportable injury on a project.
If you think 8 fatalities in 8 months is acceptable, you would never set foot on one of my projects

Quote:
My god i'm trying to disprove the notion that

"OMG EVERYONE WHO SPEEDS GETS A WHOLE FAMILY KILLED."

I have told you I only speed when I see no cars for a good distance.

People buy fast cars to speed, not to drive the speed limit. I am a careful driver. But the notion that "everyone who speeds over 100mph is obviously going to get a whole family killed and going to ruin their life" is just absurd. Fast cars can take fast speeds, and as long as you're SAFE about driving fast you're not going to get anyone killed. If i'm going 120mph on open highway with NO CARS around, i'm being safe. If I'm weaving in and out of traffic at 120mph then I am an idiot.

Yes, it happens, and it happened to my mother. A drunk driver hit her speeding excessively and almost took her life (she now has chronic back problems and has to take pain pills every morning to get through the day). But that doesn't stop me from speeding. If anything it makes me be even more careful when i'm speeding.
Part of me wants to say good luck, just can't find that part.

You should be required to spell it to claim you have any of it. Sense.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #164
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
You deserve to lose your license. Plain and simple.
WOW
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote