Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #1779
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
Man I have been slacking on posting anything on this thread.
As long as you haven't been slacking in the gym

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #1780
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
when you say you tuck your elbows, are you saying at your side, or more like 45 degrees (as opposed to a very wide grip, like horizontal to the bar).

I keep my elbows in, but not tucked at my side, as that would almost be a narrow grip press, using your tri's mainly. A great exercise, just trying to get what he was attempting to 'increase'.

I was just trying to get that mental picture right. And guys, listen to Mydivorce, he's awesome at giving/showing proper form. And I will repeat how important proper form is when lifting heavy, cause you DO NOT want an injury in any way. I have always stressed this in my training, and I am 48 years young, without any major back/should/hip/knee injuries, and competed for 10 years in powerlifting/strongman.
45 degrees. And believe it or not, it is actually easier to achieve this (referring to both arm degree angle and locking your arms into your back) with a more standard to wide grip than a close grip.

RGR isn't trying to "increase" anything I don't think....he is trying to alleviate pectoral and front delt pain. But in your case maybe you too should try benching this way since you do compete in PL'ing. The actual transition could take a month....could take a year (took me about a year).

Off topic but not really....it amazes me (ok not really)....that people don't really understand the human body and sit around and complain about their bench not going up when they bench like RGR does (no offense meant sir). The triceps make up 2/3's (roughly) of the muscle mass in your arm....yet when you bench with your elbows out it engages much less of your triceps. The muscles in the back are much, much, larger and much, much more stable than your pectoral muscles. When you learn to bench with these 2 muscles and your rear delts, your bench will go up and you will be much less likely to get injured when benching.

I appreciate the vote hrpiii. Not as old as you old man but I am getting up there at 42 I've just been at it a long time...going on 27 years now. And in that 27 years, I've just read a lot...(I mean a lot) from the Russians, scientists, and people much stronger than me. I've also had some good gyms through the years that I've trained at and learned. And obviously over those years I've thrown away some things that didn't work and implemented things that do with always starting at the very bottom and basic level.

Yesterday I did my first "pre CF sign up" preparation.....I did about 10 mins of front squatting. Started with the bar to a low box to ensure proper form and to get the feel as in 27 years I've never done front squats. Went to 95 to the low box, then 115, then 135. Then took the box away and repeated "free squatting" it.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 11-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #1781
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
45 degrees. And believe it or not, it is actually easier to achieve this (referring to both arm degree angle and locking your arms into your back) with a more standard to wide grip than a close grip.

RGR isn't trying to "increase" anything I don't think....he is trying to alleviate pectoral and front delt pain. But in your case maybe you too should try benching this way since you do compete in PL'ing. The actual transition could take a month....could take a year (took me about a year).

Off topic but not really....it amazes me (ok not really)....that people don't really understand the human body and sit around and complain about their bench not going up when they bench like RGR does (no offense meant sir). The triceps make up 2/3's (roughly) of the muscle mass in your arm....yet when you bench with your elbows out it engages much less of your triceps. The muscles in the back are much, much, larger and much, much more stable than your pectoral muscles. When you learn to bench with these 2 muscles and your rear delts, your bench will go up and you will be much less likely to get injured when benching.

I appreciate the vote hrpiii. Not as old as you old man but I am getting up there at 42 I've just been at it a long time...going on 27 years now. And in that 27 years, I've just read a lot...(I mean a lot) from the Russians, scientists, and people much stronger than me. I've also had some good gyms through the years that I've trained at and learned. And obviously over those years I've thrown away some things that didn't work and implemented things that do with always starting at the very bottom and basic level.

Yesterday I did my first "pre CF sign up" preparation.....I did about 10 mins of front squatting. Started with the bar to a low box to ensure proper form and to get the feel as in 27 years I've never done front squats. Went to 95 to the low box, then 115, then 135. Then took the box away and repeated "free squatting" it.
No offense taken! You are exactly right! I tell my buddies who are trying to go for a certain "number" or increase, to bench just as you have described! A more powerlifting approach! And explain it to them this way - I ask them do you think it is easier to bench 300lbs with just your pecs? or to bench 300lbs with your pecs, triceps, and back? Then they get it. Triceps have their own workout for me in which they get hit hard so this is why I bench with a more focus on developing the pecs than trying to increase bench.

I am going to try this approach out for a while, give my delts a break.

Thanks Divorce!

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #1782
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Also over the years I've watched 100's of videos probably 1000's of times trying to program my brain.

The latest one that Monique and I have been watching is this one since she is onto CF and I will be here soon. It's a great, slow motion, side by side video of Camille LeBlanc doing a clean and jerk. Then they superimpose both videos so you can see how her form does not change even when the weight goes up. Since I haven't done them since HS, and Monique has never done them, I thought it would be a good thing to do. We've watched it probably 20 times or so.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 11-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #1783
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
As long as you haven't been slacking in the gym
Definitely not at all! Changed things up and everything is going well.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #1784
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Hubby is done with his 12 wk program! I have to say I'm very very impressed. Never thought an Old Fart, almost 60, could add muscle and get in such good shape. He looks great, way better than I've ever seen him, even back when he was in his 30s or 40s.

So I looked at his log book and here are some of his numbers. Body Fat Down 4 Percent. Weight Up 3 Lbs, a solid 190 at 5'10". But most impressive is the Muscle Mass - Up 12.5 Lbs! Wow

He said the hardest part was eating, eating, eating, all the time. His goal was 42 to 4,500 calories a day. Clean, lots of protein. For an Old Fart who has never been a bodybuilder/Powerlifter, just a regular ex military guy who exercised just to stay in shape, I'm impressed that he was benching 300 for reps. He did add Raw Zinc and 500mg of Taurine, said he read somewhere that it helps maintain muscle. Sure seemed to work for him.

So I'm going to try his routine, increase my protein intake and lift a little heavier. My goal is to add a few more pounds of muscle, let's say six pounds in the next 12 wks. Hope I can get some good results! I'll give it my best try!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #1785
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:

I already bench this way. I was just trying to understand the position of your elbows and what you were saying.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #1786
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I already bench this way. I was just trying to understand the position of your elbows and what you were saying.
Lol I was actually hoping you didn't as you already have a phenomenal bench! Was hoping we could get even more

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #1787
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:

It is a sport that you can never stop learning and improving upon. It always takes the longest to learn your own body and how it responds. I was my strongest between ages 41-45. I would of never thought of that being prime age in this sport, but it was for me. Now I am training others more, while I still push myself.

And speaking of 'low box', I have a new trainie learning squats and I put her on a few box squats. I know I did the right thing, because she said she hated them...bwahahahahaha. She was lacking power at the bottom and that really helps.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #1788
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
It is a sport that you can never stop learning and improving upon. It always takes the longest to learn your own body and how it responds. I was my strongest between ages 41-45. I would of never thought of that being prime age in this sport, but it was for me. Now I am training others more, while I still push myself.

And speaking of 'low box', I have a new trainie learning squats and I put her on a few box squats. I know I did the right thing, because she said she hated them...bwahahahahaha. She was lacking power at the bottom and that really helps.
Same. I really enjoy helping those at the gym, coaching....and of course Monique. I really get more enjoyment out of helping now, than I do lifting.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #1789
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Forgot to mention that those numbers I posted were from two wks ago, now hubby has already dropped 5 Lbs. He said he can't eat eat eat all the time. Dropped his daily calorie intake to 35/3,600 cals. Also said it takes over 3,900 calories a day just to maintain a 190 Lb weight. And his Body Fat has gone down another half a percent, he still eats pretty clean, just less.

I'll post my numbers nx wk, at the end of wk six. So far so good
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #1790
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Did a push-pull this past weekend in Vegas. Went for 600 on my DL for my last attempt, after hitting 562. Got it off the floor and then some, but didn't finish the job. Next time.
Attached Images

kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #1791
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Did a push-pull this past weekend in Vegas. Went for 600 on my DL for my last attempt, after hitting 562. Got it off the floor and then some, but didn't finish the job. Next time.
Awesome job.

What did you bench? What are you a 220'r?

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #1792
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Awesome job.

What did you bench? What are you a 220'r?
third lift was 319 raw, and yes. I weighed in at 209.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote