Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #169
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Somehow I doubt that since EFI Live is an Australian company and there are forums full of modded Holdens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
It will happen too!... Ever hear of the Red Bike program? It's a bunch of red bikes that anyone can rent. Now, apply it to robot cars - Just call a number, the robot car shows up at your door. Put in your destination, and your "free ride" card. All covered by the taxpayer, of course...
We don't have a Red Bike program in Florida, the homeless have to steal their bikes from the children.

JK, they buy them for $20 at a thrift store.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #170
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
And this is all going to work that well in the winter "Blizards" how???
Simple.

The car tells you it is not going anywhere today. Perhaps you should choose an alternative method of transportation.

How many times have you had that 1 in 10,000 software glitch where something just went wonky as hell for no reason at all? I've had my fair share.. But I don't want them happening in the car I am being toted around in.

I'll stick to driving my own car.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #171
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
You guys are nuts. I'd much rather trust a computer not to screw up than ALL the other idiot drivers out there. The things I see in traffic every day just make me shudder thinking about them.

Remember, we all think we're great drivers, and we all think everyone else sucks at driving.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #172
CamaroCracka

Have you noticed you're preaching to quite a few guys who work on computer systems every day about computer's capabilities and reliability.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #173
Evergreen6
Banned

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
You guys are nuts. I'd much rather trust a computer not to screw up than ALL the other idiot drivers out there. The things I see in traffic every day just make me shudder thinking about them.

Remember, we all think we're great drivers, and we all think everyone else sucks at driving.
You're assuming self-driving is outlawed at the same time. Self-driving cars can only operate within the laws of physics.

You are clearly someone who views driving as a chore and you have demonstrated you are happy to give up freedom in the name of convenience and this nebulous concept of safety and standardization (encrypted/copyrighted vehicle programming code). That's fine, except, as you've already seen, you haven't found many supporters on here.

Because a few people incorrectly modify programming code in their car's ECU, or because someone screws up driving is not a reason to outlaw self-driving cars, or completely change our nation's infrastructure so that we're all "safer" in self-driving cars. I'm sorry, it's just not. I believe in progress, and even in some esoteric concepts of progress, but this idea that we need machines to automatically transport us is ridiculous.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #174
Cam_Cam

There is not one single post where I've said we should outlaw self driving. In fact, my suggestion was to have separate lanes as options to have either.

I've also said I enjoy driving as well, but for certain drives, I'd rather just not do it. There's nothing enjoyable about sitting in my Camaro in grid lock traffic an hour each way. If that's something you enjoy, more power to you, but you're nuts.

Stop extrapolating comments and trying to make arguments that aren't there.

And we already have machines that automatically transport us and are controlled by computers... airplanes, subways, trains, etc. Should we close all those too? No one NEEDS self driving cars, but to have to option would be a nice luxury. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #175
Cam_Cam

And if you don't think a computer controlled car is a good idea for Betty Sue who wants to put on her makeup and talk to her giiiirls while she drives, or for Boss Hog who wants to go to the bar, drink ten beers, and then get in his car and drive home... then I don't even know why I'm having this conversation with you.

For Christs sakes, someone actually said he bought his wife a HUGE TRUCK to drive because he was worried she was going hurt herself while she was texting and driving. Am I seriously the only one that sees a problem with that?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #176
CamaroCracka

I also bought it for Betty Sue and Boss Hog.

God Bless America where we have the freedom to choose.

You should consider getting one, or get a job where the commute is not so bad.

There are options. Quit suggesting that others pay for the option you want like it is somehow the most logical choice.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #177
Cam_Cam

Quote:
Quit suggesting that others pay for the option you want like it is somehow the most logical choice.
Show me where I did this.

And stop telling me to move and get a job where the commute isn't so bad. That's a really really really stupid argument.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #178
Evergreen6
Banned

Quote:
There is not one single post where I've said we should outlaw self driving. In fact, my suggestion was to have separate lanes as options to have either.

I've also said I enjoy driving as well, but for certain drives, I'd rather just not do it. There's nothing enjoyable about sitting in my Camaro in grid lock traffic an hour each way. If that's something you enjoy, more power to you, but you're nuts.

Stop extrapolating comments and trying to make arguments that aren't there.

And we already have machines that automatically transport us and are controlled by computers... airplanes, subways, trains, etc. Should we close all those too? No one NEEDS self driving cars, but to have to option would be a nice luxury. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
You misread my previous statement. You figure it out.

And no, luxury isn't the benefit you've been talking about this whole time. If you just want one, then great! But that's not how you've been framing your arguments. Your primary concern up until this point has been safety and efficiency and all the other people on the road and the things they do, that you don't like. You don't get to play the martyr at the end because others don't agree with you.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #179
CamaroCracka

Quote:

And stop telling me to move and get a job where the commute isn't so bad. That's a really really really stupid argument.
Quote:
Who do you think is going to pay for the separate lane?

Quote:
I would hope with autonomous cars that they won't run on oil, but rather an electromagnetic system similar to mag lev trains. That's obviously not the first evolution of those types of cars, but I would think we could easily get there long before the oil runs out.
Or this?

There is nothing stupid about the argument of changing your job. I lived in Chicago for six months and hated it for many reasons. First chance I got, I moved to Janesville, WI, which was better but it still snowed. First time a job opened in FL I jumped on it. You control your destiny and it's not dependent on making others do anything. There is solution to every problem. Sometimes we don't like our options, but there are options, so to some degree the things we don't like are our choice. You may also choose to change your situation by advocating autonomous cars, and as long as it doesn't cost me anything I don't have a problem with it. When your choices cost others, expect resistance.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 04-22-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #180
Evergreen6
Banned

Quote:

This is how most people solve commutes that aren't tenable for themselves. Or they get a different job.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #181
Cam_Cam

Ugh... now were back to the beginning of this circle again.

I get it, you don't want to pay taxes for something you won't use because you already do that a bunch and poor lazy people get to mooch off of you without working as hard as you do. Rabble Rabble.

The roads in this country are broken anyway. Stop spending tax money on shit we don't need, use it to pay for new roads which include the technology needed for the cars. It will increase road safety, decrease traffic, and increase efficiency, and even people who don't use the autonomous cars will benefit. Alternatively, you can have auto makers releasing that own versions of the systems that run on regular roads with regular cars.

Either way, it's going to happen. You won't be required to give up your non-self driving car, but these cars will exist.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #182
Cam_Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
This is how most people solve commutes that aren't tenable for themselves. Or they get a different job.

If this is what MOST people did, you wouldn't have traffic.