Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #169
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven02TA View Post
yes it would be pretty tame and would be relatively close to factory "tone" just louder.

the LSA doesnt actually decide whether or not the cam is "tame" all the numbers together
pretty much decide it. The LSA only decides the angle at which your lobes are
seperated creating the "cammed" sound.
(however the choppier the cam is. the less streetability you will have) 114/112 are usually the LSA of choice.
I am pretty sure that I got these numbers wrong. I didn't write them down when I got my cam just took it to the shop to be installed. I have had so many cam numbers in my head the last three weeks I can't remember them all. I want to say 227/239 is more around the numbers but can't be exact and the other numbers are around 617/624 but again I am not sure.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #170
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

The more I read the more confused I get, LOL Mine should be done today. I have to honestly say that I really appreciate the help. It seems that the more people say the more I seem to not understand. Some say LSA causes lope, some say the duration and some say the lift.

I think alot goes into choosing a vendor on things like this, ESPECIALLY, when you are a Noob like me at these things. I told my vendor what I wanted, the sound I wanted, how I wanted the car to drive, with respect to cabin noise, and basically everything I wanted and what was important to me, dependability, reliablility and of course that certain little sound I want. Not a junker sound but a cool muscle lope, not like the car is going to stall but just a nice little bump, the added horsepower is just icing since I will not be racing my car at the strip, maybe just suck up some from 35 to 65.

Today I will know how I have faired because the install is supposed to be done and I am supposed to pick it up this afternoon if all goes well. I will actually be amazed if it is exactly what I want. The only reason I say this is not doubting the vendor, but for someone to take what you tell them, without actually hearing what I have pictured in my mind, and providing a product to achieve that, well Amazing is the only word I will have. Especially since the vendor is not located anywhere near me and I am having to have someone else install it.

I am not sure on cam spec and really could care less, I pretty much know I am wrong on the specs, but I have faith in the vendor so we will see. I will say this if he pulls this off I will sure be singing his praises. Come one 3:00 pm, lol
Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #171
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Dr Jekel:
I'm anxiously awaiting your report on your car. Did you get it back? How do you love it? I am very interested to hear what you think. I need feedback!

I'm so confused about cams and superchargers now. I have a whole lot of reading to do.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #172
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
Probably a dumb question and perhaps one that has been answered before:

Do CAI, Exhaust, etc mods void your manuf. warranty?
OrangeFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #173
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Dr Jekel:
I'm anxiously awaiting your report on your car. Did you get it back? How do you love it? I am very interested to hear what you think. I need feedback!

I'm so confused about cams and superchargers now. I have a whole lot of reading to do.
Got it back tonight will post more tomorrow am, will post everything you might want to know around 6:00am CST 5-20-10, I think you will learn alot from my post but it will be long
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #174
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFury View Post

not necessarily, if you have to have your car tuned it will.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #175
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFury View Post

a catback or axleback wont for sure. a cai shouldnt but if u have a really anal dealer, like mine, they may void it. if you want to keep the warranty, i would ask the dealer what will and what wont void the warranty.
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #176
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE MODDING BY A NOOB

ok peoples of the noob world, LOL here it goes.

I too like many on here wanted to mod my car, but was extremely concerned with what might happen if I did since I have no clue about all this stuff, but what I did know was what I wanted my car to sound like and to perform like. I wanted the old school muscle sound, not real aggressive just a nice little thump that maintained drivability , reliability and have the sound I wanted.

I first changed the factory exhaust to a GMPP Street version axle back, sounded ok, but no cigar. So I decided after hearing some cars at C5F that I needed a cam, headers, cats, cai and a tune, YES I know it voided my warranty.

So I contacted vendor after vendor searching and asking questions, the ones that did return my e-mail all stated the same thing, yes the knew exactly what I wanted, well knowiing and producing are 2 different things. What would make this especially challenging is that because where I live I would have to find someone to install whatever I bought since most vendors are far far away in a galaxy.... oh I'm sorry back to the point.

I took the plunge and bought a cam package, headers, highflow cats, Cold Air Induction cai, and a tune. I had it installed and my car returned yesterday.

Here are my findings. If you decide to mod, need to read, both pros and cons.

1. Your car will be different in all aspects. Sound will definetly be different. Now by sound I don't mean exhaust, under the hood sound is what I am talking about. When you go from a factory manifold to a header you will hear a tapping noise. This is because the headers and thinner walled than the original manifolds, not bad, just different and if you are not expecting it you will think something is wrong.

2. When purchasing a cam package make sure you get all the updated valve train parts for this. Also be sure of what you want from a cam. A cam will make the sound different no matter what you get because of it's design. By this I mean cams act different and give you more during certain rpm's, so if you want higher speed get a cam that does that, if you want a cam that is good at low rpm range get that, just be aware of what you are getting because once it is installed it's yours, for better or worse.

3. Cold Air Intakes, based on the test Jannetty Racing did it really does not seem to matter, basically get which one you like. I picked Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, and I like the looks alot.

So now to my car, when I decided to do this I had no clue and basically did it for the sound change. One vendor kinda seperated themselves in my mind, basically because he lasted the longest and answered every dumb question I had, he what if'd it with me, a he got a clear true picture of what I wanted.
My requirments were nice lope, no cabin noise, be able to hear the radio and carry on a conversation going down the interstate and of course reliability and dependability.

Without question I got exactly what I wanted, even though it was a scary process being a noob. The sound is incredible, NO, I say NO cabin noise. I can listen to the radio and carry on a conversation at highway speeds. Reliability and dependabilty I will see in the future.

I would like to Thank Ted Jannetty for giving me what I wanted. Somehow he was able to look into my mind and hear the sound that I wanted and supply the parts that did just that. Awesome job Ted.

Will you have concerns about doing this, absolutely especially if this is the first time. My recommendation is find a vendor who will take time and answer all you questions and not be impatient and if possible be able to install it, I didn't have that option but it turned out good for me since the mechanic who installed this was a GM certified tech and now owns his own performance shop, it doesn't hurt that his car runs 6.3 in the 1/8th mile, so he knows what he is doing. He was so good that before he zapped my car he checked all the TSB and made sure my car was up to snuff.

As soon as I figure out how to post a video I will update this post and make a new thread. If you have any questions about my experience please feel free to ask, I'll tell you what I know.

Once again Thanks Ted for all you did for me. John
Old 05-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #177
camarohead

How does the seat of pants power feel like now? Nice writeup doc.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #178
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

It pulls like an animal from 2000 on
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #179
camarohead

Cool, when I am ready, will definetly check into tj.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #180
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

TJ is very knowledgeable and a good person, he's younger than me but knows his stuff. He even washed my car when he was done, which I thought was a nice gesture.

He did alot of thing and did not charge me, like installing the cai, in his words he had to remove the stock airbox to do the cam, what difference did it make which one he put back on. Some vendors quoted me from 95.00 to 150.00 just to install the cai.

Ted Jannetty is an awseome guy also, knows his stuff and is more than willing to help.

Last edited by Dr Jkel; 05-20-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #181
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Dr Jekel:
I can help you post a video. It's easy. Your first upload the video to youtube. Then... well, it's explained in this thread by GTAHVIT, so I'll just send you there.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6691
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #182
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Dr Jekel:
I can help you post a video. It's easy. Your first upload the video to youtube. Then... well, it's explained in this thread by GTAHVIT, so I'll just send you there.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6691
Thanks Sweety, I appreciate it alot, it will be later this afternoon since I am at work, SHHHH, now