Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #1849
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Ehhhh sorry guys I was having a bad day and forgot its just fun to come on here for me read tales and stories of what we wish and what we want. I guess I am like most of us here on the "Z/28" niche that is very passionate about cars and Camaro's to be specific. Think of all the dumb things we would be doing if we didn't have this site to dream and speculate..some of us probably will never grow up and we have this new amazing car we get to drive and rekindle our passion for cars..it's been a while I know for me at least to after 3 years owning and driving get in a car and still enjoy it like I was 16..y'all have a good night, happy reading be back tomorrow!
It's all good. It just shows we're all very passionate about our Z28. I myself have held off buying a Camaro so far believing it (Z28) "will" be built.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #1850
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Wish I could remember the name of the person that owns(ed) or built this car. LS7 conversion, don't remember much about the build. Not a sticker job, there's an LS7 under there. Member name Black10 maybe? Would be cool to hear more input.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #1851
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Don't bother trying to compile any engine variations on this board, nobody will listen..I know that sounds harsh but I have nothing but sarcasm lately since all I have been saying and no one seems to get the fact that I think GM should step up their game in the engine department. They all want the LS7 and rest on their laurels that is it the biggest, most NA HP in the Camaro. My question always is, do we really need an LS7 in the Z/28 just to COMPETE with the "BOSS'? the resounding answer will be of course or why not. Well I would surely hope that with an engine with 2.0L more in displacement could beat the Boss "302" to me that is just like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Part of the reason to come to these boards is to read, get insider info and speculate..

GM is stepping up the game in the engine department. The new fours, sixes and DI V8s with single and twin turbos are around the corner

The LS7 Z/28 isn't about a new engine. The Z/28 has nothing to do with the Mustang. It has nothing to do with the Corvette. It has nothing to do with any other car sold. The Z/28 is for DRIVERS. The Z/28 is the anti nanny Camaro. The Z/28 is a modern version of the American Muscle Car with a 427 NA engine. With all the nanny regulations for emissions and fuel economy it is potentially the last time we'll see anything like a normally aspirated 427.

I have no doubt that a DI twin turbo may produce more power. I look forward to the evolution of battery technology and the instant application of full TQ at 1 RPM. We'll see great cars in the future that exceed our current performance parameters. All that is cool.

What we won't see is a hand built 427. There is a window of opportunity at hand. A moment to be seized. A 5th Gen Camaro, a drivers car, a LS7 powered Z/28.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #1852
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Did that 2010 LS7 concept ever run any laps or anything like that?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #1853
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
GM is stepping up the game in the engine department. The new fours, sixes and DI V8s with single and twin turbos are around the corner

The LS7 Z/28 isn't about a new engine. The Z/28 has nothing to do with the Mustang. It has nothing to do with the Corvette. It has nothing to do with any other car sold. The Z/28 is for DRIVERS. The Z/28 is the anti nanny Camaro. The Z/28 is a modern version of the American Muscle Car with a 427 NA engine. With all the nanny regulations for emissions and fuel economy it is potentially the last time we'll see anything like a normally aspirated 427.

I have no doubt that a DI twin turbo may produce more power. I look forward to the evolution of battery technology and the instant application of full TQ at 1 RPM. We'll see great cars in the future that exceed our current performance parameters. All that is cool.

What we won't see is a hand built 427. There is a window of opportunity at hand. A moment to be seized. A 5th Gen Camaro, a drivers car, a LS7 powered Z/28.
Well said Pete. All that cool new technology coming is a force to be reckoned with, when we get to that bridge. That bridge is in front of us and will be closed very soon. We won't be able to look back. The current awe inspiring mighty 8 cylinder monster motors like back in the heyday will soon take its curtain call. Let's go out with a big bang, and make a grand show of it while we are at it. I hope Chevy put's it's best face on and makes every attempt to pull out all the stops before then. Your last sentence says it all.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #1854
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Did that 2010 LS7 concept ever run any laps or anything like that?
Most SEMA cars and for show and not for go. If it did run, there would be little value in the data as so much about the 5th Gen has changed with the ZL1 and 1LE. The suspension has been changed, the wheel and tire sizes have changed, the gearing has changed. The list of changes is much longer. The 1LE made numerous runs at Gingerman and turned in great times. Add power with a LS7 and even on a momentum track like Gingerman you'll have a faster car. There is a point of diminishing returns on RWHP, but the LS7 Z/28 will not suffer from that.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #1855
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Most SEMA cars and for show and not for go. If it did run, there would be little value in the data as so much about the 5th Gen has changed with the ZL1 and 1LE. The suspension has been changed, the wheel and tire sizes have changed, the gearing has changed. The list of changes is much longer. The 1LE made numerous runs at Gingerman and turned in great times. Add power with a LS7 and even on a momentum track like Gingerman you'll have a faster car. There is a point of diminishing returns on RWHP, but the LS7 Z/28 will not suffer from that.
That sucks.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #1856
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
That sucks.
Yeah. He told me the same thing about the SSX and I was crushed. It's like finding out wrestling isn't real.

What is cool is that these concepts generate enough interest to make production. And I guess at least the 1LE was real.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #1857
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Yeah. He told me the same thing about the SSX and I was crushed. It's like finding out wrestling isn't real.

What is cool is that these concepts generate enough interest to make production. And I guess at least the 1LE was real.
Seems like a waste to build a car with so much potential and never even see what it could do.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #1858
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Seems like a waste to build a car with so much potential and never even see what it could do.
From what I can see they build the concepts with the parts they know will work and drivetrains and upgrades that get people excited. They don't want to spend a lot of time on a car if they're not sure how it's going to be recieved. If it gets a good reaction, like with the 1LE, they put more effort into putting it into production. It's also cool that this site gets a small part in the process. After the 1LE was shown at SEMA FBODFATHER asked us if we would like to see it built. I guess there was enough of a positive response that we ended up with what we see now. Truthfully they were probably already hard at work on making the 1LE when he asked but I'm sure some of the feedback was used. They really nailed the pricepoint by eliminating the magnetic ride and even the ZL1 brakes which a lot of us wish was an option. Who knows, if enough people feel the brakes are lacking they might make it a future option. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #1859
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
They really nailed the pricepoint by eliminating the magnetic ride and even the ZL1 brakes which a lot of us wish was an option. Who knows, if enough people feel the brakes are lacking they might make it a future option. It doesn't hurt to ask.
6-pot front Brembos and MRC would likely DOUBLE the 1LE option price...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #1860
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
6-pot front Brembos and MRC would likely DOUBLE the 1LE option price...
What about Just the brakes? I think that was what was really being referred to...
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #1861
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
if you had could get the 1le with a ls7 that i would buy it
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #1862
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
What about Just the brakes? I think that was what was really being referred to...
Yeah, LOWDOWN is right. I just think it would be an easy option to add the brakes without too much testing as a seperate option. Maybe next year.

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro