Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #183
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
If this is what MOST people did, you wouldn't have traffic.

Again you assume most people live in urban areas. Some of us choose to live in less populated areas where traffic is less. Every place in America does not have bad traffic. Here our rush hour is only half an hour.

Oh BTW, is anybody going to standardize how these cars talk to each other and their surroundings? Are all the automakers going to sign on to use these protocols? What about other countries, will they use the same protocols?

As we know in the computer world, the company that writes the winning standards is the big winner.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #184
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
The self driving car didn't work out well for John Spartan...
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #185
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Again you assume most people live in urban areas. Some of us choose to live in less populated areas where traffic is less. Every place in America does not have bad traffic. Here our rush hour is only half an hour.
That's great for you. And if you can convince everyone in my family and everyone I've ever known who is important and close to me to uproot their lives and move to a rural area where's there's no traffic, I'll give you a years worth of my salary.

Sometimes life isn't that simple.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #186
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post

Oh BTW, is anybody going to standardize how these cars talk to each other and their surroundings? Are all the automakers going to sign on to use these protocols? What about other countries, will they use the same protocols?

As we know in the computer world, the company that writes the winning standards is the big winner.
And THAT is the reason Google is so interested in building an autonomous car. They are never going to go into the car business, but they sure would like to control the OS.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #187
CamaroCracka

Quote:
That's great for you. And if you can convince everyone in my family and everyone I've ever known who is important and close to me to uproot their lives and move to a rural area where's there's no traffic, I'll give you a years worth of my salary.

It's never that simple. I left family and friends in Charlotte after the dot com crash to go to work elsewhere. I respect your decision, but it's your decision. Hopefully for you, they will come out with an autonomous car you like.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #188
Evergreen6
Banned

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

Have you thought about taking a bus? It's like being in an autonomous car with 20 of your worst-smelling friends.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #189
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Have you thought about taking a bus? It's like being in an autonomous car with 20 of your worst-smelling friends.
We have little to no public transit in Detroit. So sure, if we had some, I'd love to!

I'm selling my house in the burbs and moving to inner city Detroit just to avoid traffic.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #190
CamaroCracka

Wow! I think I would ask the wife to run me over in the truck and let her make due with insurance first. Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #191
Evergreen6
Banned

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
We have little to no public transit in Detroit. So sure, if we had some, I'd love to!

I'm selling my house in the burbs and moving to inner city Detroit just to avoid traffic.
You must love your job that much!
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #192
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:

I think I'd rather fight with the traffic than with the issues that are common with inner city Detroit living, different strokes for different folks I guess. Personally I prefer to be surrounded by corn fields and trees, where traffic is typically caused by a big green tractor driving slowly haha.

The public transit in "The D" definitely needs work, but I think they have bigger fish to fry before that becomes their #1 concern. It is slowly getting nicer down there in some areas, unfortunately those areas are the minority when compared to the city as a whole though. Like self driving cars, it will take time.

Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #193
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #194
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
There is not one single post where I've said we should outlaw self driving. In fact, my suggestion was to have separate lanes as options to have either.
That might work . . . except for getting on or off the highway in the first place, or through single-lane construction/repair/accident-incident zones.

Quote:
I've also said I enjoy driving as well, but for certain drives, I'd rather just not do it. There's nothing enjoyable about sitting in my Camaro in grid lock traffic an hour each way. If that's something you enjoy, more power to you, but you're nuts.
None of us was promised that all of our driving was going to be enjoyable. It's a lot less stressful when you don't let things outside your control bother you too much. Or when they do, that you do something about the situation yourself.

As far as having a car with the option to self drive or not, I can tell you right now that neither my wife nor I would buy the sort of car it would take to be compatible with such a feature.

Quote:
And we already have machines that automatically transport us and are controlled by computers... airplanes, subways, trains, etc. Should we close all those too? No one NEEDS self driving cars, but to have to option would be a nice luxury. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
It is a current concern that pilots are becoming too dependent on aircraft technology as it is. If it's a known risk with a relatively small number of highly redundant vehicles operated by a relatively small number of highly trained individuals - in pairs or teams, no less, what does that suggest for millions upon millions of intensely cost-driven vehicles operated by people allowed to solo at the controls after limited instruction time and an absolutely minimal demonstration of skill?

Norm
Old 04-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #195
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Here's another reason autonomous cars will be about as popular as the Nissan Leaf... human drivers.

Since there cannot be a complete immediate changeover to autonomous cars, there will be a period... probably quite prolonged... where autonomous cars and human driven cars must coexist.

So what's the problem?

Well, once human drivers learn how autonomous cars react in various situations it will be easy to exploit that.

Need to get to the front of the line? No problem, the autonomous car up there will be leaving a safe gap and will meekly fall back when you dive in and cut it off.

Traffic moving too slow? No problem, just weave through all the autonomous cars knowing they will dutifully slow down without complaint while you exhibit your anti-social, yet ultimately rewarding behavior.

Seriously, I see it becoming a game to see just how badly autonomous cars can be abused.

Eventually even the most disinterested person is going to say "F*^k this, give me the wheel"
I just got to this point, so I had to respond! This sounds fun
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #196
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
The corollary to outlawing human drivers is that every person who can't afford an autonomous car will have to be given one.

Just think of it as a giant cell phone.
Can I pick a color? Also, I do see an upside here. Nobody has to be in the car, so I could send it to the store for some .
Or, car is clean and now it's raining. Ain''t taking my ride, send the Autobot for some