Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #183
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Windshield had scratches from transport or assembly and tires were not balanced.My dealer took care of both. New windshield and a proper balance and all is great! Other than that my 10th Camaro is pretty solid.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #184
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Took delivery 4-12-2012. 16K miles, absolutely zero issues.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #185
CAM5COR6
2012 ZL1 GBA,2013 ZL1 GLJ

Drives: 2012 ZL1 GBA 2013 ZL1 GLJ
Update and final to two earlier posts: Dealer service mechs swapped out the ECU for a brand new one, all Issues solved.....YEA! I have my baby back....now have to replace front air splitter that tow company damaged (called the company and told them about the damage and have not heard a peep out of them). I'll probably have to eat the $141.00 for the new one that arrived yesterday.
CAM5COR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #186
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM5COR6 View Post
Update and final to two earlier posts: Dealer service mechs swapped out the ECU for a brand new one, all Issues solved.....YEA! I have my baby back....now have to replace front air splitter that tow company damaged (called the company and told them about the damage and have not heard a peep out of them). I'll probably have to eat the $141.00 for the new one that arrived yesterday.
Glad you got it resolved. Good luck with the tow company!

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #187
BIGTIME

Drives: 2018 ZL1
As a new member who is interested in the ZL1 I have noticed two things.

#1. You guys accept a good amount of issues with your cars relative to the Lexus crews and forums. Seems like the ZL1 has had plenty of issues from small to some rarer larger issues. Now we all know not every car will have problems,especially in the first production year, but the list seems much more extensive than what I am used to. The love for the cars is obviously very deep. I am assuming the same love for the car and the connection to it is what makes one overlook these added trips to the dealership. I think after owning 2 large Lexus sedans I may not be ready for the headaches and may just buy an ISF now, but I will always drool over these gorgeous machines. Look forward to driving one in the future. Almost afraid to drive one because I know I will want it immediately. I actually posted a thread earlier on why there are so many used very low mileage ZL1s on the market. I am wondering if many owners just got rid of the cars rather than deal with the quality issues. I have found a good amount at Porsche, Mercedes, and other higher end brand lots and most are 2013s with less than 4k miles on them. I am respectfully asking the question. Not trying to bash or start a fight. In all honesty I have always driven Japanese cars and have recently fallen in love with V8s and wanted something a lot faster. My concern in buying an American car ( like many ) is the reliability. I know the big three have gotten better over the last few years but I still don't think they are quite there yet for my tolerance level.

#2. The GT500 owners can act like clowns when they enter a forum just to bash for the sake of bashing. They know their cars are no more reliable or better put together but yet feel the need to stir the pot.Plus we all know the ZL1 is a better and more consistent track and street performer. When you add that power to a car it needs to be able to stop over and over again. Plus who the hell wants a car with a live rear axel. Any decent bumps on the road or track and you will lose it mid corner and/or have the TC system working over time . Balance is the key word. Balance is what makes a great drivers car. 662 hp + live rear axel makes for a great straight line car. Too bad we drive more than a 1/4 mile at a time. Objectively the Camaro is superior.
BIGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #188
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Cheap interior, plastic/rubber emergency brake, when they advertise the interior as Leather!, Seats are deceptively cheap, they once again call it leather, but the inserts seem much more like a cloth something. I dont think they will last. Mine is white and the paint job is skimpy, if you look close, there are tiny pin holes in many places where the paint did not cover properly. nice job Gm on screwing the faithful over.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #189
BIGTIME

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Cheap interior, plastic/rubber emergency brake, when they advertise the interior as Leather!, Seats are deceptively cheap, they once again call it leather, but the inserts seem much more like a cloth something. I dont think they will last. Mine is white and the paint job is skimpy, if you look close, there are tiny pin holes in many places where the paint did not cover properly. nice job Gm on screwing the faithful over.
This is the type of stuff that scares prospective buyers who have always been afraid of buying an American car. If the loyal are frustrated or unhappy my concern is that I will be kicking myself and have buyers remorse when and if the car starts to have issues. I love the ZL1. The power, styling, the history.......its a beautiful car, but I would hate my life if I was driving a car I was starting to hate or gave me plenty of reason to dislike.
BIGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #190
marmar51

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Issues with the car performance at the third Gear. Mine is A6, when the car is at the third gear while crusing, when the RPM is between 2000 - 3000, the car loses power. This is in all modes, even when switching to manual. this is only when crusing , and sometimes if you are in the 4th gear and you pushed the gas pedal little bet so the car goes to 3rd gear.
took it to the dealer several times, they said no issue !!!!!!!!!!!! I am really frustrated with this
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #191
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I bought my wife a lexus 5 or 6 years ago. I do not remember which number it was but it was a 4 door car and had 300hp.Bought it new and in the 6 months I had it it was back at the dealer 7 times. The paint,the rattles, the check engine light was on,the car would not unlock with the remote,had an oil leak that was really bad and there was more things but can't remember all of them. At that time it was the most expensive car I had ever bought and it was a piece of crap. I swore I would not have another one up my ass if I had room enough for a saw mill! My wife even hated the car. After all of that we went and bought good ole american iron and have had nothing else since then. Now, my ZL1 has been a joy to drive and I have had zero issues with it. There is no rattles,sounds,mechanical problems at all with it and the paint is great on it to and it is even the silver ice color! I know with any car company you can get a bad one but out of all the rides I have had since the lexus I guess I have been lucky not to have had another lemon.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #192
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....wow somebody actually dug this one up from the ground...just sayin',
Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #193
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
As a new member who is interested in the ZL1 I have noticed two things.

#1. You guys accept a good amount of issues with your cars relative to the Lexus crews and forums. Seems like the ZL1 has had plenty of issues from small to some rarer larger issues. Now we all know not every car will have problems,especially in the first production year, but the list seems much more extensive than what I am used to. The love for the cars is obviously very deep. I am assuming the same love for the car and the connection to it is what makes one overlook these added trips to the dealership. I think after owning 2 large Lexus sedans I may not be ready for the headaches and may just buy an ISF now, but I will always drool over these gorgeous machines. Look forward to driving one in the future. Almost afraid to drive one because I know I will want it immediately. I actually posted a thread earlier on why there are so many used very low mileage ZL1s on the market. I am wondering if many owners just got rid of the cars rather than deal with the quality issues. I have found a good amount at Porsche, Mercedes, and other higher end brand lots and most are 2013s with less than 4k miles on them. I am respectfully asking the question. Not trying to bash or start a fight. In all honesty I have always driven Japanese cars and have recently fallen in love with V8s and wanted something a lot faster. My concern in buying an American car ( like many ) is the reliability. I know the big three have gotten better over the last few years but I still don't think they are quite there yet for my tolerance level.

#2. The GT500 owners can act like clowns when they enter a forum just to bash for the sake of bashing. They know their cars are no more reliable or better put together but yet feel the need to stir the pot.Plus we all know the ZL1 is a better and more consistent track and street performer. When you add that power to a car it needs to be able to stop over and over again. Plus who the hell wants a car with a live rear axel. Any decent bumps on the road or track and you will lose it mid corner and/or have the TC system working over time . Balance is the key word. Balance is what makes a great drivers car. 662 hp + live rear axel makes for a great straight line car. Too bad we drive more than a 1/4 mile at a time. Objectively the Camaro is superior.
I think Lexus makes solid automobiles, but they lack soul. The ISF is a very nice car, but push it hard on the track all day lap after lap in the same manner as our warrantied ZL1's and you might hear more than a whimper or two. The ZL1 is less feature packed, yet more technology advanced than the ISF for less money. And reliability is a broad term. Do you mean the car won't start when you try to start it to go to work or do you mean constantly having to take it to the dealer for quality issues? Lexus, BMW and Mercedes are very good, but they are the queens of the service department. They always need something and its an arm and a leg to pay for.

I really think you should give the ZL1 a test drive to satisfy your own curiosity. There is no comparison to any sedan Lexus builds. Like comparing a nun to Pam Anderson.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #194
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
[QUOTE=snackbar64;7157476]

I really think you should give the ZL1 a test drive to satisfy your own curiosity. There is no comparison to any sedan Lexus builds. Like comparing a nun to Pam Anderson.[/QUOTE]
...and that's the rub. My advice is...make sure the car is not on the lower fuel table first of all. Then,...go out and stand on it. It will blow your foreign car market mind beyond all reason, just sayin'....
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #195
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
...I think after owning 2 large Lexus sedans I may not be ready for the headaches and may just buy an ISF now, but I will always drool over these gorgeous machines...
Mr. BIGTIME, your are an articulate and reasoned person. I think you've answered your own question and made a decision.

There's an old adage, "if you question if you belong in the left-lane club, you do not belong in the left-lane club." With that said, transitioning from "large Lexus sedans" to a ZL1 would be incredibily thrilling for you but painful if you plan on using the ZL1 as a daily driver. The fuel cost (12/14/18 mpg) and premium fuel requirement would be tough.

Last edited by omegaman; 11-05-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: ZL1 advantage: you'll get a lot of hot chicks checking out your ride.
omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #196
gunnyusmc

Drives: Black ZL1/6 speed
I just took my ZL1 to have it wet sanded to remove the orange peel. The problem is the paint is so thin that they have to respray the entire car... Not a happy camper with the QC from GM. Also the gauge placement is a joke, try to read the oil temps, boost, etc. while running on a track; crash time. Chevy should place the gauges(where the trim strip is) on the upper dash or door sill.
Heck this car wouldn't have passed an IG inspection in the Corps, however when I'm done it will kick ass over the Europeans and Asians. The performance is exceptional and I've cleaned the clock of Lambo's, Ferrari's and GT 500's. My ZL1 currently has a RotoFab CAI, Moroso Catch Can and fluid (Redline) changes. When comes out of the paint shop its off to HorsePower Sales for Pfadt Headers (no cats) 2.55 pulley, etc. The end result is a car that kills the competition for around $70K. The cool thing is I can put my grandchildren's car seats in the back...

Last edited by gunnyusmc; 11-13-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Good points
gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote