Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #2031
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't drive mine in the rain at all. I have a DD that's my commuter car. I'll have to contact them and find out if they can match the factory tint on the windows, and if they have a solution for the rear defogger grid on the rear window. If this is a truly plug-and-play solution this is VERY attractive. Plus the fact that's it's 250 times stronger than glass means no car thief breaking the glass to gain entry.

Thanks for this link Synner!
Doc, could you let me know what they say when they get back to you?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #2032
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
You bet.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #2033
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I would do their rear glass before the Z28 glass, this stuff is cheaper and much lighter. I'd just be hesitant on front and side glass if you daily drive it at all. I don't think it would deal with the up/down of windows very well over time. The coating they have is great but it has its limits. Although I use my windows a lot more than most going through base checkpoints for ID checks. Front glass would probably be fine if you don't drive in inclement weather a lot.
Damn you Synner you're NOT helping!.......................................... .................... i'll post pics when they get here.

Quote:
I don't drive mine in the rain at all. I have a DD that's my commuter car. I'll have to contact them and find out if they can match the factory tint on the windows, and if they have a solution for the rear defogger grid on the rear window. If this is a truly plug-and-play solution this is VERY attractive. Plus the fact that's it's 250 times stronger than glass means no car thief breaking the glass to gain entry.

Thanks for this link Synner!
Quote:
Guys, I spoke with Jim, and have an answer for the defogger question. There is no rear defogger, but the coating allows for all water to run off as soon as you get moving, similar to rain-x.

What sold me is that they have done glass for the Ringbrother's builds. Now that is HUGE because I would have never known that the Ringbrothers cars did not have real glass.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #2034
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Damn you Synner you're NOT helping!.......................................... .................... i'll post pics when they get here.

Guys, I spoke with Jim, and have an answer for the defogger question. There is no rear defogger, but the coating allows for all water to run off as soon as you get moving, similar to rain-x.

What sold me is that they have done glass for the Ringbrother's builds. Now that is HUGE because I would have never known that the Ringbrothers cars did not have real glass.
So....group buy?

Edit: what about AM/FM radio? Our receiver is in the glass.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2035
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:

Hmm. Might have to look into a 3rd party solution for this. The issue with the defogger isn't water on the outside but fogged up windows on the inside. We have limited visibility to the rear to begin with so being able to defrost the rear window is kind of important (to me anyways).

Quote:
So....group buy?

Edit: what about AM/FM radio? Our receiver is in the glass.
The radio antenna is in the windshield?? I thought it was in the shark fin on the roof?

Yeah I wonder what kind of a deal we can get and how many we need to qualify for a group buy?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #2036
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Hmm. Might have to look into a 3rd party solution for this. The issue with the defogger isn't water on the outside but fogged up windows on the inside. We have limited visibility to the rear to begin with so being able to defrost the rear window is kind of important (to me anyways).

The radio antenna is in the windshield?? I thought it was in the shark fin on the roof?

Yeah I wonder what kind of a deal we can get and how many we need to qualify for a group buy?
I believe that's for XM.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #2037
The Stig

Quote:

I'm sure there are aftermarket defogger systems. I mean its just some heating elements that are glued to the glass (obviously I'm over simplifying).

And yea AM/FM is in the rear window, XM is in the sharkfin (as ec1990 said).
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #2038
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
I had front and rear drop-ins on my f-body, speedglass from Percy tho.. I do believe they are the same company..

the windshield deformed a bit at light speed, other than that the stuff is pretty good, can't comment on scratching because I did not have windshield wipers on the car.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #2039
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
I had front and rear drop-ins on my f-body, speedglass from Percy tho.. I do believe they are the same company..

the windshield deformed a bit at light speed, other than that the stuff is pretty good, can't comment on scratching because I did not have windshield wipers on the car.
How thick was the speedglas?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #2040
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post

Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #2041
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
How thick was the speedglas?

They have three different thicknesses, I'm going with 3/16" both front and rear. This is the equivalent of the factory thickness. Jim said that for strictly track cars, many guys will go with 3/16" front and 1/8" rear but due to the quality of my build, he recommended doing 3/16" on both side as the factory trim fits better.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #2042
The Stig

Quote:
They have three different thicknesses, I'm going with 3/16" both front and rear. This is the equivalent of the factory thickness. Jim said that for strictly track cars, many guys will go with 3/16" front and 1/8" rear but due to the quality of my build, he recommended doing 3/16" on both side as the factory trim fits better.
Is the 3/16" safe for street use? Or would you need to go thicker?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #2043
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
That's good to know. 3/16 it is then. You're not doing the side glass?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #2044
krusher

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Here are my most up to date pics of my car. Sorry no real good pics of the long tubes installed, but they look pretty cool. With the flat black would have had a semi gloss to it.

Just a couple of tidying up to do along with some painting the connectors and valve covers and I think I will be done for awhile.

Name:  SAM_0315.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  154.4 KB

Name:  SAM_0333.JPG
Views: 1110
Size:  491.5 KB

Name:  SAM_0335.JPG
Views: 1138
Size:  527.6 KB

Name:  SAM_0337.JPG
Views: 1143
Size:  509.7 KB

I put stepped long tube headers on compared to my doug thorley short tube headers
Got my throttle body ported and painted to match my car
Relocated the Grounding strap from the front of the passenger side of the head to behind the alternator
Relocated my evap solenoid to below the fuse box bracket and ran a longer hose from TechAFX to the manifold
Relocated the coil packs to the front side frame and put custom length spark plug wires with wrap and heat protectors
Put a strut brace on. Sexiest mod ever!!!
Painted the plenum cover to match the intake (some guy at work does hydrodip from his garage.)
Replaced all hoses with nylon braided hose. (Still have PCV hose to replace.)
Put new fuel rails on similar to the holley set.
Wrapped all electrical with Russel wrap from summit
Took my wire harnesses apart and wrapped them together and in some cases made my own harnesses via taping. After that I tucked them in the cavity behind the ABS system.
I the wires going to the injectors and spliced them and lengthened them to go from the back and not the front.
Lastly, lastly I took the the crossover tubing below the intake and made one eirily similar to Nate's

I am waiting on my CTS-V brakes to get powder coated from Mike the powder coater and after that I will just enjoy the car till next winter. Whewww I am out of breath. And that was the first 5 hrs.

Last edited by krusher; 05-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote