Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #197
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Only took the cover off for a second as she gets cold easily.
And yes, those are Storage Rims and Blizzak tires as I don't leave the Goodyears on in my non heated garage.
Go ahead, attack
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #198
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
No attacks from me.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #199
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
No attacks from me.
I know not from you brother, we joke all the time.

And no, I didn't go looking for Blizzaks to basically use as jackstands for 6 months out of the year. A fellow member traded his 1LE 2yrs ago for a C7 and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on rims/tires/sensors
Old 01-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #200
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Oh hell, you are in Detroit. I am sure we have met! F-body shows, Detroit 5th gen, Eastern MI Camaro Club, Camaro Superfest, Woodward, etc. LOL
Probably...however, all those places we have met, I was probably driving my numbers matching 68, leaving ole girl behind...jealous and sniveling in the garage.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #201
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I need help with this. That appears to be a throttle body. If it is not than I shall stand corrected, but if it is, that should have nothing to do with whether the engine is direct injected or not. And again, if it is a throttle body, what the hell happened? I have had three GM vehicles (non-direct injected) and non-with catch cans, and none with a throttle body / throttle blade that ever looked anything like that. I really need help understanding this picture.
It is a TB. Why do you think you put a catch can on here? To keep the TB from getting like this. PCV systems have always vented back to above the carburetor pre fuel injection. Oil vapor mixed with fuel/air mixture and burned away. Regular fuel injection it went into the intake system, but the air coming in had fuel in it to wash away the oil and again it would burn off. In a direct injection engine it is only air coming through the TB, no more fuel to keep the intake side clean. So the oil vapor from your PCV system gets dumped into just air and the vapor hits a cool surface and changes state from a gas to a solid. It sticks to every cool surface and builds up.
Nothing happened bad to my DD to cause the picture I put up... Just lots of miles pulling PCV gasses into the intake system between the air filter and the TB. This is how the TB will look! The was puddled oil in the plastic tub between the filter box and TB.
I have a catch can on my Camaro. Was not 100% on board with needing it... Until I saw this on my DD. Now I believe.
Attached Images

Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #202
Kendall421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I feel bad dragging you into this Kendall421, but I think you_must_learn.

Yes they do match, but just because it match, that don't mean I'm scoring a 10/10 on your test yo! lol

rear '10-'13 'bulb eh?

I feel like performing the mod below, just to say, NOW what do you have to say dawg?!
LMAO! I love you kids! I must learn? I am too old to learn. LOL. Age is wisdom son!

No, they are not exact. However, no Camaro in the gen 1 years had round tail lights...all were bar tails. So the 10-13 lights don't actually represent the gen 1 the way the car was kinda supposed to. Not knocking it, I like the 10-13 tail lights. But the 14-15 better represent the gen 1 era the Gen 5 took its design cues from.

The backside of my toys...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #203
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
It is a TB. Why do you think you put a catch can on here? To keep the TB from getting like this. PCV systems have always vented back to above the carburetor pre fuel injection. Oil vapor mixed with fuel/air mixture and burned away. Regular fuel injection it went into the intake system, but the air coming in had fuel in it to wash away the oil and again it would burn off. In a direct injection engine it is only air coming through the TB, no more fuel to keep the intake side clean. So the oil vapor from your PCV system gets dumped into just air and the vapor hits a cool surface and changes state from a gas to a solid. It sticks to every cool surface and builds up.
Nothing happened bad to my DD to cause the picture I put up... Just lots of miles pulling PCV gasses into the intake system between the air filter and the TB. This is how the TB will look! The was puddled oil in the plastic tub between the filter box and TB.
I have a catch can on my Camaro. Was not 100% on board with needing it... Until I saw this on my DD. Now I believe.
Well, I guess I just felt something must have gone wrong because in the 200K plus miles we have put on our last two Gen4's and my wife's 2003 Tahoe, never have I seen a throttle body in that bad of shape. I mean not even close. And to clear things up for you regarding direct injection vs. what we have on our Gen 5 V8's (which is the same as the two Gen 4's I referenced above and my wife's old Tahoe). Neither and LS3 or L99 V8 is a direct injected engine. Only the V-6 Gen 5 Camaro's are direct injected, but NO GEN 5 CAMARO has fuel traveling through the throttle body. The difference between the V8's and the direct injected V6's is where the fuel is introduced. On the V8's the fuel is introduced in the intake tract before the intake valve in the head. This allows the fuel to "wash" the valve of the oil that can be deposited on the back side of the valve. The V6 being direct injected introduces the fuel into the combustion chamber (past the valve) so the "washing" effect is lost. I support the concept of a catch can on the V6 engines, and all direct injected engines for that matter, and assume it is why GM has added them to the new 2016 SS (also direct injected). I hope this helps clear things up, and I do not think you are hurting anything by having a catch can, just find them to be an unneeded expense on non-direct injected engines from my experience. Just understand that direct inject or non-direct injected (like V8 Gen 5's) do not have fuel at the throttle body, and again, I have never seen one look that bad.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #204
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
LMAO! I love you kids! I must learn? I am too old to learn. LOL. Age is wisdom son!

Yes , but with wisdom, comes also the realization that the more you know, the less you know ; ),

I'm older than most think, I'm 24 in elephant years so....

Quote:
No, they are not exact. However, no Camaro in the gen 1 years had round tail lights...all were bar tails. So the 10-13 lights don't actually represent the gen 1 the way the car was kinda supposed to. Not knocking it, I like the 10-13 tail lights. But the 14-15 better represent the gen 1 era the Gen 5 took its design cues from.

The backside of my toys...
I do agree, but my whole point on the '14+ one piece tails, is that the designers could have executed them better.

My whole gripe with Chevy and their tails, applied throughout most of their entire model range of cars, not just the Camaro fwiw. They could never make something not look generic, especially the tails, and this has been brought up by others as well, but that is an other topic for an other day, lol.

On the other hand, that aftermarket solution pic I provided in post# 182 is .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #205
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
This thread is amusing.

Another one for you:
http://www.redbull.tv/videos/AP-1M2T...?wtk=tvt001122
Old 01-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #206
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
This thread is amusing.

Another one for you:
http://www.redbull.tv/videos/AP-1M2T...?wtk=tvt001122
HAha thats probably worth way more than any 1le right?
But in all seriousness those are some badass tires
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #207
Kendall421

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Well, I guess I just felt something must have gone wrong because in the 200K plus miles we have put on our last two Gen4's and my wife's 2003 Tahoe, never have I seen a throttle body in that bad of shape. I mean not even close. And to clear things up for you regarding direct injection vs. what we have on our Gen 5 V8's (which is the same as the two Gen 4's I referenced above and my wife's old Tahoe). Neither and LS3 or L99 V8 is a direct injected engine. Only the V-6 Gen 5 Camaro's are direct injected, but NO GEN 5 CAMARO has fuel traveling through the throttle body. The difference between the V8's and the direct injected V6's is where the fuel is introduced. On the V8's the fuel is introduced in the intake tract before the intake valve in the head. This allows the fuel to "wash" the valve of the oil that can be deposited on the back side of the valve. The V6 being direct injected introduces the fuel into the combustion chamber (past the valve) so the "washing" effect is lost. I support the concept of a catch can on the V6 engines, and all direct injected engines for that matter, and assume it is why GM has added them to the new 2016 SS (also direct injected). I hope this helps clear things up, and I do not think you are hurting anything by having a catch can, just find them to be an unneeded expense on non-direct injected engines from my experience. Just understand that direct inject or non-direct injected (like V8 Gen 5's) do not have fuel at the throttle body, and again, I have never seen one look that bad.
Thanks for the clarification! I did think the LS3 was direct injected, but now that you explained that it injects above the intake, that makes sense. I still think the catch can will help keep the TB and intake clean. As you said, it can't hurt.

This TB is on my 2009 Traverse at 215,000 miles on it. Ya, I drive a lot of miles! Burns no oil as I check it regularly and change it every 5k. That's why it still runs perfect at that mileage and will make 300,000.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #208
Kendall421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Yes , but with wisdom, comes also the realization that the more you know, the less you know ; ),

I'm older than most think, I'm 24 in elephant years so....

I do agree, but my whole point on the '14+ one piece tails, is that the designers could have executed them better.

My whole gripe with Chevy and their tails, applied throughout most of their entire model range of cars, not just the Camaro fwiw. They could never make something not look generic, especially the tails, and this has been brought up by others as well, but that is an other topic for an other day, lol.

On the other hand, that aftermarket solution pic I provided in post# 182 is .
Amen brother! I think the 14-15 are still unique and yet similar to the 69. But the gen 6 dives me nuts? Exact design cue of the Malibu and impala! It's terrible!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #209
crimsongtp

Drives: 2014 AGM SS/RS 1LE
drove my 1LE in the pouring rain last night. Didn't drive any different. Who would have known.
crimsongtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #210
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification! I did think the LS3 was direct injected, but now that you explained that it injects above the intake, that makes sense. I still think the catch can will help keep the TB and intake clean. As you said, it can't hurt.

This TB is on my 2009 Traverse at 215,000 miles on it. Ya, I drive a lot of miles! Burns no oil as I check it regularly and change it every 5k. That's why it still runs perfect at that mileage and will make 300,000.
Love to hear high mileage stories. Keep us posted. I think you can crack 300K with that Traverse!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote