Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #197
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Rears are sold out for the season. You can run the front size on both axels for winter. Let me know if you have any questions on that.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #198
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
Ok if you have a SS of any type 1ss, 2ss or RS you first need to check your brakes. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624 . Do you have these black roller skate dampers at the top of the Pad. If you do I do not have any 17,18 wheels that will work. I have 1 19 inch option but it is EXPENSIVE. So you can either remove the dampers by cutting them off or changing out the pads with a aftermarket pad. If you do this you may have increased brake noise (squeal) occasionally. If you do not want to do that you will need to stay with 20 inch wheels and I do not have any really cheap 20s that will work. The KMC Rockstar starts about $250 ish. Hopefully this helps some. If you remove the dampers we can look at some cheaper options, but because of the nature of the modifications you will need to contact and deal with me directly.
So...... will 18's fit on an SS/RS with the pre-"roller skate" brakes with the dampers that look like wheel weights? I was thinking of finding a set of wheels/tires off of an LS/LT before next winter so I would be able to drive my Camaro during the winter if I NEED too.....these summer tires can be a tad bit slick when it gets cold outside .

btw, I LOVE Tire Rack, we got the tires on my wife's GP from there, GREAT service!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #199
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Ok, still trying to understand tire sizes and types. I know I want an all winter tire. It is my daily driver, so I know I won't get as long a life out of them than I normally would, but my current stock tires are pretty shot.

I read in a previous post to this thread that you don't have to go with the wider size that comes with the SS. Would this make it possible to rotate the tires on a regular basis? Is this true, or do you need a new rim with these?

My choices will most likely be Blizzak or Scopian. My concern is tire life. As a DD, I've read that scopians are better (foir tread life), but blizzak has better traction, but wear faster. Are these two tire types actually just as good as the other. Should I really worry about that kind of thing? Sort of like comparing apple to apples?

AS far as size goes, I'me still a little lost. Ive seen a lot of sizes thrown around out there. What are the exact sizes I should be looking at?

Thanks, I'm just not a tire person at all.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #200
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Hey Rudy! While this thread isn't the best place to post this (I figure you may still keep track of it), I wanted to commend Tire Rack for their judicious use of the Camaro in their latest paper catalog! I counted 5 different pictures of Camaros. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #201
eflynnbot
The People's Choice

Drives: 11 CGM 2SS RS
Wow, it took me a few hours to get through this thread. Rudy as a new 2ss owner I would suggest you tell these wheel manufacturers that during the off season there is a market for for a specific 18inch winter wheel for the SS and they better start getting ready for Oct. With the volume you do I can imagine you can swing a little weight around.

Come September the requests are gonna be coming fast at ya for these.
eflynnbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #202
NovaDaddy
Nova Daddy

Drives: 2012 Cummins/1972 Nova 2 door coupe
Hi Rudy, I ordered the pirelli scorpion snow and ice from you. Excellent tire for winter. I have a lot of people stop and ask me if the Camaro can make it through winter and I happily say yes due to good tires and traction control. My question to you is what average outside temp do I take the winters off and put summers back on, to avoid excessive wear on the winter tires. I know your thinking I should have them off already being May and all, but our last snow fall was mothers day week-end.

Thanks
Paul
NovaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #203
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by molloni View Post
Hey Rudy! While this thread isn't the best place to post this (I figure you may still keep track of it), I wanted to commend Tire Rack for their judicious use of the Camaro in their latest paper catalog! I counted 5 different pictures of Camaros. Thanks!
Sure we love the new Camaro and plan on giving it the attenition it deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflynnbot View Post
Wow, it took me a few hours to get through this thread. Rudy as a new 2ss owner I would suggest you tell these wheel manufacturers that during the off season there is a market for for a specific 18inch winter wheel for the SS and they better start getting ready for Oct. With the volume you do I can imagine you can swing a little weight around.

Come September the requests are gonna be coming fast at ya for these.
We will have some offerings if you remove the Brake dampers. I am not aware of any 18s that will fit over the dampers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDaddy View Post
Hi Rudy, I ordered the pirelli scorpion snow and ice from you. Excellent tire for winter. I have a lot of people stop and ask me if the Camaro can make it through winter and I happily say yes due to good tires and traction control. My question to you is what average outside temp do I take the winters off and put summers back on, to avoid excessive wear on the winter tires. I know your thinking I should have them off already being May and all, but our last snow fall was mothers day week-end.

Thanks
Paul
It depends where your located. For most of the US I recommend April 15th. Tempatures above 70 degrees are where the tire is going to start wearing quicker. If its just a couple of days I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #204
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Rudy:

Although I am not ready to purchase them yet, I too will be interested in getting a set of 4 Snow Tires (mounted on wheels) for my 2011 Camaro 1LT (with NO RS Package). I have the 18" Wheels that are stock size: P245/55-R18 and you recommend downsizing to 17" Tires at a size of: P225/65-R17 (which I intend on doing when ready to purchase).

Here is my concern though...

The current tires you have available in the 17" size, for winter, are:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2
Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

All of which say "(Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow)" next to them. Are these OK for passenger cars instead of Light Trucks and SUV's?

I was under the impression that the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 was the best one out there for Passenger Tires that aren't in the Light Truck / SUV category, but they don't seem to come in the P225/65-R17 size you recommended for downsizing my 18" Wheels and Tires to.

For Wheels, I intend on getting the snow tires mounted to "MSW Type 14" style wheels that are currently on your site for $108/each. So that's not a problem for the wheels.

What do you recommend I do for tires though? Will more winter tires be available at a later date?

Thank you,
Michael
suplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #205
Rudy@Tirerack

We will have more tires available. However many camaro owners running the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow with good results. The Blizzak WS 70 will also be available. They should come in around sept.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #206
mrosa

Drives: 2012 SS2 Camaro
Can't change Camaro tires youself on a 2012 Camaro 2SS....?

So I am about to order a 2012 2SS Camaro and was told that they do not come with a spare tire because apparently you can not put the spare tire on yourself anyway because the breaks are too big. This is concerning to me because Ive gotten many flat tires in my life and have grown accustomed to changing them myself without a problem... I'd actually be embarrassed if i had to call AAA/road side assistance just for a flat tire! They do offer the option to have a spare tire/wheel put in the trunk for an extra $150 or so, but if I will no be able to put the tire on myself I do not see the point in having it at all. So instead I guess they provide a patching kid. The problem is that if you end up damaging your tire severely enough then that "patch kit" won't help at all. I'd love to hear what other Camaro drivers have to say about this and if there is a way to change a flat tire yourself and to bypass the problem? And if there is not a way to bypass the problem then what other solutions are there? Would I need to buy special equipment to remove the tires myself and can I fit this equipment in the trunk?
mrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #207
Rudy@Tirerack

Try searching for "spare tire" there are several good threads that come up with what others are doing. If anyone has some added words of wisdom please post it up!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #208
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
I'm having trouble finding a set of 20" steel rims for the winter, any suggestions.... I don't want to have the polished alum in the winter

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #209
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Rudy:

I have an additional question about the Winter tire package concerning the T.P.M.S. If I don't get that...wanting to save the additional cost...will my Camaro make a beeping sound or do some annoying thing throughout the entire duration that I have the Winter tire/wheels on?

If there is just a light on the dash, or something in the section between the Speedometer and Tachometer when it's set to display Tire Pressure saying the pressure is 0psi (or something like that) I can tolerate that, as long as hopefully there aren't any constant bells and whistles going off for the entire winter.

I have also noticed that some people in here are having problems when downsizing tire/wheel size (something about certain brake pads not clearing). On my 1LT with stock 18" Wheels, when I go to the recommended 17" Wheels, does that have any clearance issues that you know about?

I also noticed that the Blizzak WS70's are in for the recommended 17" package

Thank you Rudy.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #210
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
I plan on buying the scorpion Ice and Snow for winter. I plan to use stock rims for the winter. I got the 20" rims.... Right now the tires are Pirelli P Zero rears are 275/40/20 and the fronts are 245/45/20.... should I replace them with the same size?

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote