Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you think it is the end for the manual?
Yes, only automatics will be produced in the future. 112 20.44%
No, you will still have an option for a manual. 436 79.56%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #197
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
We are at 6 speeds all ready. When you are hard accelerating, you use what, 2 until you hit the speed limit, except at the track (thank god for the track!). I will be stomping on my clutch and hammering on the gears until I die, as will many of you. Used to be 4, now six, hell, bring on 8, I don't care. It will be first, second, third, eighth, instead or first, second, third, sixth as it is now when your honkin on it. There is too much of a culture in the fun of driving with a stick to kill it. "Long live the stick" !!!
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #198
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I shifted 10 gears for 9 and a half years.

I hate shifting gears. Over a million miles in a truck and then add my POV miles in manual cars.

The thrill is gone.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #199
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
Who can shift faster? Your arm and leg or a computer. It's not even close. There will be HI-TECH auto transmissions in the future...
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #200
Harley Kidd

Drives: Black 2022, ZL1, Hurst M6 NPP
Guys. Macho up. My 2010 2SS is M6 and the new 2013 2SS M6 I have just ordered is manual shift. I have been driving manuals since the mid 60's and still love it. It is for me the only way to go and is fun to drive. If I want Auto then I drive my MKX. If manuals go away I will lose interest in these cars and probably go to a 60's muscle cars like I used to have. Maybe I am rediscovering my youth. Just MHO.
Harley Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #201
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Kidd View Post
Guys. Macho up. My 2010 2SS is M6 and the new 2013 2SS M6 I have just ordered is manual shift. I have been driving manuals since the mid 60's and still love it. It is for me the only way to go and is fun to drive. If I want Auto then I drive my MKX. If manuals go away I will lose interest in these cars and probably go to a 60's muscle cars like I used to have. Maybe I am rediscovering my youth. Just MHO.
I'm 42 yo and I'm just tired of it. Even in my blown and cammed Camaro I still don't want to shift. After 20 years of it and, again, 10 years in an 18 wheeler I'd prefer to relax and still win the race.

Maybe in another 20 years I'll want to shift gears again.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #202
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
i am guessing since manual transmission sales are rising (up to nearly 7 percent) it isnt going anywhere anytime soon, but poll wise, those that do not want to drive or cannot drive it anymore will say its coming to an end. Those that love to drive it and would even go as far as buying an import to have one will say it aint going no where.
Cobra XRS-9965 Radar Detector
Rider Graphix XM hood spears
Big Worm Vinyl for bowties
Emblem pros XM Badges/Emblems
Airaid Cold Air Intake

NEXT UP: Interior LED conversion/footwell lights
ON DECK: Engine Cover
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #203
silentownage001

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
This is why Porsche developed a new seven-speed manual

Quote:
It’s important to note that one of the reasons Porsche launched the latest seven-speed manual was due to the cost benefit of it sharing much in common with the seven-speed PDK. That benefit may not last much longer as Porsche is studying a new nine-speed PDK, Schätzle also revealed, and it’s unlikely that such a unit would share much in common with a conventional manual.
78% of 911 sales are with the PDK.

Full article: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...of-manual-911s

Besides we're all just assuming really. I think one day in America at least they will pretty much disappear but who knows when or if it will be.
silentownage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #204
Eviscer8r
Pirate 2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's not too strange for me to hear older folks not like manual anymore. My dad prefers automatic now too. I have an automatic car too, my SUV. I'm only 29 but it is one hell of a thrill to drive my 6speed SS vs my younger brothers auto mustang GT. I hope at some point I'm not forced to buy a auto corvette as that is my next car heh.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #205
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The day we no longer use dino fuels, there will no longer be a reason for a standard trans.
You sayin' corn and algea can't drive a stick?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #206
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Manual Trans is like camping, hiking, skiing, jogging, wrenching on cars, doing yard work and on and on. Sure it's harder, less efficient, less comfortable etc. but if your into it the payback is huge. If your not into manuals get an auto, if your not into jogging take a cab, if your not into wrenching get a mechanic. If i enjoy a strong cigar and my wife hates smoke, I go and enjoy the cigar, I dont tell her to learn how to smoke.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enthusiasts, manual, transmission