Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #225
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
If it don't include cylinder deactivation

I get one if it didn't have the same system
on the auto v8 now available.
You can't shift faster than an auto
especialy with the crappy 6060 Tremec.
JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #226
Lloyd-TX

Drives: '72 Formula 455 & '08 Sierra Denali
Absolutely the 6L90E should be an option!

'72 Firebird Formula 455, 12.93 @ 106

'08 Sierra Denali, ARH 1 7/8' LTs w/ catted Y, AIRAID intake (tube only), Patrick G tune - 368 RWHP & 384 RWTQ
Lloyd-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #227
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
AUTOS WILL HELP GM AS A BUSINESS, WE WANT THAT REGARDLESS OF OUR PREFERENCE...I will purchase one and would prefer auto because it WILL be my daily driver..
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #228
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
If production of the ZL1 are limited then an automatic wouldn't be logically marketable and serious profit wouldn't be returned. If NO automatic is offered, I would still bet that every ZL1 will sell. If the 6L90 is an option, the sales would more likely be split 60/40 but it would increase initial production cost. The first year a new model is offered is the most critical and will determines the success of the ZL1. If 7000 ZL1's move out the door within months after release then it indicates that there is possibly a demand for more units and possibly an automatic. In my opinion, GM could sell ZL1's until 2015 with no automatic available and noboby, especially not the buyers would care. Automatics are great for drag racing but unless they are paddle shifted, they are useless for road racing. Adding an auto w/ paddle shift adds additional cost, not to just the consumer but initial production cost as well.

I know having an option to upgrade is good, mainly for those buyers that absolutely need an automatic, but the market they contend in does not require one. GM will aim to outproduce the GT500 maybe as much as 2:1, because the first year demand may see the ZL1 sell close to 10,000. If GM does put in the extra money to offer the 6L90, even outselling the GT500 unit per unit will not give them a profit margin victory. It is a huge marketing risk to play all your cards in the first hand and this being the first year of production, the margin of error is zero. If GM does stay on par with the GT500 in production then it is definitely a poor decision to add additional hardware to the catalog. Having the 6L90 and the 6060 MG9 would double the cost and risk involved throughout developement and during production. GM knows better than anybody that over-production results in a smaller profit because they seen it first hand in 2010, so 10k ZL1's might be risky. They are also aware that offering all they have now leaves little or no room for exciting new releases, as they have used the convertible/ZL1 to do, so offering the 6L90 might be a bad idea.

If you are not concerned about cost to the consumer, you can always purchase the Hydramatic 6L90 from GM Performance Parts and have it installed.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #229
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
If production of the ZL1 are limited then an automatic wouldn't be logically marketable and serious profit wouldn't be returned. If NO automatic is offered, I would still bet that every ZL1 will sell. If the 6L90 is an option, the sales would more likely be split 60/40 but it would increase initial production cost. The first year a new model is offered is the most critical and will determines the success of the ZL1. If 7000 ZL1's move out the door within months after release then it indicates that there is possibly a demand for more units and possibly an automatic. In my opinion, GM could sell ZL1's until 2015 with no automatic available and noboby, especially not the buyers would care. Automatics are great for drag racing but unless they are paddle shifted, they are useless for road racing. Adding an auto w/ paddle shift adds additional cost, not to just the consumer but initial production cost as well.

I know having an option to upgrade is good, mainly for those buyers that absolutely need an automatic, but the market they contend in does not require one. GM will aim to outproduce the GT500 maybe as much as 2:1, because the first year demand may see the ZL1 sell close to 10,000. If GM does put in the extra money to offer the 6L90, even outselling the GT500 unit per unit will not give them a profit margin victory. It is a huge marketing risk to play all your cards in the first hand and this being the first year of production, the margin of error is zero. If GM does stay on par with the GT500 in production then it is definitely a poor decision to add additional hardware to the catalog. Having the 6L90 and the 6060 MG9 would double the cost and risk involved throughout developement and during production. GM knows better than anybody that over-production results in a smaller profit because they seen it first hand in 2010, so 10k ZL1's might be risky. They are also aware that offering all they have now leaves little or no room for exciting new releases, as they have used the convertible/ZL1 to do, so offering the 6L90 might be a bad idea.

If you are not concerned about cost to the consumer, you can always purchase the Hydramatic 6L90 from GM Performance Parts and have it installed.
First off the ZL1 is not going to be a limited production car. The GM guys confirmed this during their Q&A. Secondly the ZL1 will probably go away after 2015 because they will be moving to the new alpha platform. The automatic transmission for this engine has already been developed and tested. Offering the option would literally end up being money in GMs pocket. Mark my words the ZL1 will offer an automatic transmission from the start of production.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #230
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
First off the ZL1 is not going to be a limited production car. The GM guys confirmed this during their Q&A. Secondly the ZL1 will probably go away after 2015 because they will be moving to the new alpha platform. The automatic transmission for this engine has already been developed and tested. Offering the option would literally end up being money in GMs pocket. Mark my words the ZL1 will offer an automatic transmission from the start of production.
It works for Caddy so I guess it could for Chevy, Although the MSRP on the CTS-V is gonna be 10k higher and it is offered in 3 trims. Profit is gonna be a tad more because the CTS-V appeals to the auto buyers more with the 4 door and wagon.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #231
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
No. Automatic in ZL1 is like ketchup on caviar
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #232
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickerbucks View Post
I'm curious here.

We have anptout 400 answers. 267 are FOR an auto.

I wonder how many of those 267 people do no actually know how to drive and manual. I'm originally from Europe where everyone basically learns to drive on a manual yet here in NA I think a lot fewer folks actually know how to drive a manual.

Anyone have any 'facts' about the percentage of the population that can drive a manual?
I can drive a manual and I actually prefer it for me but, given the fact that I have a wife and family, there will be times that she would need to drive the car and an automatic is much more wife friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
I know how to drive a manual. Enjoy driving a manual. For fun and thrill seeking the manual rules, but for day in day out year after year use the auto is just so much more comfortable. It leaves the right hand free for my sweetie's knee!
Exactly!
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 AM   #233
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
I am new to the board; but an automatic is mandatory for me to purchase a ZL1 or any car! It just the way I like drive now a days. I had a stick and it was okay; but with the traffic and more devices on the cars; an automatic is a necessity for me. The trend is towards a dual clutch automatic with shift paddles on the steering wheels. Of course, GM for what ever reason; instead uses pushbuttons. I hope they fall in line and get a pair of paddles like those found in European and Japanese cars currently out. The paddles much more stylish and have a bigger surface to hit to do the shifting.

It would be a shame if they went with only a manual 6. Chevrolet would limit their market to only hard core people that insist upon a manual. People who would be in the market for a Audi RS5, BMW M3, Jag Coupe will at least look at the ZL1 - Mustang GT500 is the main competitor and they now only offer a manual too. So if Chevy added an auto; they will get business from both myself and Mustang people who like an auto. Most people drive an automatic. Why limit your potential buyers to the minority?
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #234
badapple

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
I hope your right! IMO manual shift cars are being phased out by the consumer. In the last year that the Ferrari F430 was produced, less than 1% were manual shifts. Thats why the new 458 Italia is only offered in a dual clutch auto. I believe the new Corvette C6R is an auto this year.
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #235
badapple

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS AT
c6r paddle shift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=44o622wFty4
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #236
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by badapple View Post
I hope your right! IMO manual shift cars are being phased out by the consumer. In the last year that the Ferrari F430 was produced, less than 1% were manual shifts. Thats why the new 458 Italia is only offered in a dual clutch auto. I believe the new Corvette C6R is an auto this year.

All the more reason to get the M6 ZL1 while you can! I'm sure the performance in the future will be great, but an electric engine, paddle shifting car won't be near the same experience.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #237
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Automatic cars are mostly popular in the US, even though the "F word" F430 makes a paddle auto, about 99% of cars in Europe are manuals. Paddle shift is the next big thing, and with 7-8 speed transmissions coming to market, it could make even a paddle shift "too hard". I think Americans should take a page from the Europeans on this one.... At least until someone invents a clutchless manual... (As in the clutch peddle is integrated into the shifter/shift gates or maybe a paddle clutch)

Last edited by thePill; 02-25-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #238
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:

Fezza's are for pussies

If the ZL1 wants to make a chance of being a proper sports car, there's only one way to go: manual shifting.

(all IMO)
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote