Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #225
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown View Post
Are we sure redline is dexos1 approved? It isn't listed on gm's dexos site, and says 'suitable replacement for' on redline's site, which isn't the same as having the approval of gm.
Wow, you're right. Redline website's title is "Suitable replacement for:". It doesn't say it is approved for it. I checked and could not find any Redline product at gmdexos.com. That's very deceitful.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #226
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I wonder if Redline doesn't want to pay for the dexos lable even though it meets or exeeds the standard?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #227
jamestown

Drives: 2014 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I wonder if Redline doesn't want to pay for the dexos lable even though it meets or exeeds the standard?
I think this is the case. I actually think redline oil is great, just be careful using it if you want to 100% protect your warranty.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #228
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown View Post
I think this is the case. I actually think redline oil is great, just be careful using it if you want to 100% protect your warranty.
The nice thing about Mobil 1 variants is that you can state that you have Mobil1 5W-30 in there; I doubt they would ever ask which Mobil 1 it is.

Since I'm an impulse buyer, I do have 12 cases of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP, not to mention leftover EP. Once they're done, I might switch to Redline's regular 5W-30.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #229
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
The nice thing about Mobil 1 variants is that you can state that you have Mobil1 5W-30 in there; I doubt they would ever ask which Mobil 1 it is.

Since I'm an impulse buyer, I do have 12 cases of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP, not to mention leftover EP. Once they're done, I might switch to Redline's regular 5W-30.
ACEA C3 has 1/4 to 1/6 the allowable valve train wear versus API SM. Also, the low ash and low volatility ESP will keep your plugs, combustion chambers, and pipes clean for better running. Enjoy.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #230
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Pardon my interruption.

Dual oil coolers. Brake ducts. Bolt in cages. Harness bars. Tank plates. Countless other upgrades. Cover my engine under warranty? Really?

For all those tracking their cars and posting videos, doing picture by picture build threads and discussing oil values in detail on the internet the least of your warranty concerns is the brand of oil you have in your engine.

That aside, why should anyone reasonably expect the GM warranty cover an engine that has run oil over 300* and been subjected to extreme use? I expect GM to treat a customer fairly. That comes with an obligation from the owner to be fair to GM. I have watched from a distance as the merits of various oils have been discussed here with some merit. I also watch as a builder and cringe at what is being said. We'll lie cheat and deceive to get an abused engine covered under warranty, even though it was treated it like a chemistry experiment.

Why should the Service Writer that reads Camaro5 treat any Camaro owner with anything but complete and utter disdain while doubting every explanation they here about an issue with their Camaro?

Time to put on the big boy pants and man up. If you track your car it is going to break. Period. Not if. Simply when. Start your rebuild fund tonight along with plans for what you want your next engine to be. Make sure the plan includes a HD drysump system, radiator, oil cooler...

Feel free to go back to business as usual, but don't ever say you were not told straight up, the reality of tracking your car hard.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #231
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Pardon my interruption.

Dual oil coolers. Brake ducts. Bolt in cages. Harness bars. Tank plates. Countless other upgrades. Cover my engine under warranty? Really?

For all those tracking their cars and posting videos, doing picture by picture build threads and discussing oil values in detail on the internet the least of your warranty concerns is the brand of oil you have in your engine.

That aside, why should anyone reasonably expect the GM warranty cover an engine that has run oil over 300* and been subjected to extreme use? I expect GM to treat a customer fairly. That comes with an obligation from the owner to be fair to GM. I have watched from a distance as the merits of various oils have been discussed here with some merit. I also watch as a builder and cringe at what is being said. We'll lie cheat and deceive to get an abused engine covered under warranty, even though it was treated it like a chemistry experiment.

Why should the Service Writer that reads Camaro5 treat any Camaro owner with anything but complete and utter disdain while doubting every explanation they here about an issue with their Camaro?

Time to put on the big boy pants and man up. If you track your car it is going to break. Period. Not if. Simply when. Start your rebuild fund tonight along with plans for what you want your next engine to be. Make sure the plan includes a HD drysump system, radiator, oil cooler...

Feel free to go back to business as usual, but don't ever say you were not told straight up, the reality of tracking your car hard.
Just so you know, we are talking about cars either designed for track or has a track package like Z/28 and 1LE. If guidelines in the user manual are followed (including oil specs), they WILL honor the warranty, definitely for a stock engine. Track use does not void warranty, even if you reach 300 degrees F. FYI, GM considers 320 degrees F as the engine overheat limit, and cuts engine power at that level, which still doesn't void your warranty.

Please leave your man-up comments at your table, drinking with your friends. I'd have expected better from a reputable vendor like you.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #232
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Just so you know, we are talking about cars either designed for track or has a track package like Z/28 and 1LE. If guidelines in the user manual are followed (including oil specs), they WILL honor the warranty, definitely for a stock engine. Track use does not void warranty...
Sounds good in theory. If it's that easy, and you're not going into limp mode on track, why bother with engine oil coolers?

Anyone here have direct experience getting GM to repair track-related damage in a modified 1LE?
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #233
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Anyone here have direct experience getting GM to repair track-related damage in a modified 1LE?
I seem to recall Cornerspeed in the 1LE subforum being one. His clutch system and consequent pedal went bad, fully attributable to the track, and GM stepped up to the plate, and replaced everything, albeit with the same subpar parts again, but that's an other story.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #234
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I seem to recall Cornerspeed in the 1LE subforum being one. His clutch system and consequent pedal went bad, fully attributable to the track, and GM stepped up to the plate, and replaced everything, albeit with the same subpar parts again, but that's an other story.
I also thought of Cornerspeed, but thought he was stock?
Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #235
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I seem to recall Cornerspeed in the 1LE subforum being one. His clutch system and consequent pedal went bad, fully attributable to the track, and GM stepped up to the plate, albeit with the same subpar parts again, but that's an other story.
I also had friends who had issues with their Corvette, and GM fixed it. One guy in CorvetteForum has grenaded his engine (LS7) two times at the track, and GM replaced the engine again, but said the second one is the last one he will get for free (this was before the larger dry sump was added in 2009, fixing the oil starvation issue).

Following GM guidelines is not only good for warranty cases, but it's also usually good for your car since GM tests the cars with these guidelines, which is why I try to adhere to. I've been driving at the track for about 10 years, and I am yet to make a warranty claim or blow up an engine. If you keep your engine mostly stock, they usually hold up.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 10-11-2015, 12:57 AM   #236
AG1LE

Quote:
I also had friends who had issues with their Corvette, and GM fixed it. One guy in CorvetteForum has grenaded his engine (LS7) two times at the track, and GM replaced the engine again, but said the second one is the last one he will get for free (this was before the larger dry sump was added in 2009, fixing the oil starvation issue).

Following GM guidelines is not only good for warranty cases, but it's also usually good for your car since GM tests the cars with these guidelines, which is why I try to adhere to. I've been driving at the track for about 10 years, and I am yet to make a warranty claim or blow up an engine. If you keep your engine mostly stock, they usually hold up.
I've seen a recent example of a 100% stock C7 vette being completely replaced by GM because of transmission overheating issues on the track.

However, the 1LE isn't a vette, and most of the guys talking about oil temps on this forum are not stock. I'm not sure how to define "mostly" stock.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #237
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
I've seen a recent example of a 100% stock C7 vette being completely replaced by GM because of transmission overheating issues on the track.

However, the 1LE isn't a vette, and most of the guys talking about oil temps on this forum are not stock.* I'm not sure how to define "mostly" stock.

I know that you get denied if you have engine internals replaced (like cams, heads, etc.), which makes sense. I am yet to see anyone with a failed engine with stock internals from the 1LE community, to be honest. When it comes to bolt-ons, it becomes arguable. However, getting an engine issue warranty denied for having brake ducting on a car, as was suggested, is ridiculous.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 10-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #238
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Just so you know, we are talking about cars either designed for track or has a track package like Z/28 and 1LE. If guidelines in the user manual are followed (including oil specs), they WILL honor the warranty, definitely for a stock engine. Track use does not void warranty, even if you reach 300 degrees F. FYI, GM considers 320 degrees F as the engine overheat limit, and cuts engine power at that level, which still doesn't void your warranty.

Please leave your man-up comments at your table, drinking with your friends. I'd have expected better from a reputable vendor like you.
X,

I think you are missing the point of what Pete is saying. Bottom line, tracking your car is an extreme environment and WILL break stuff. When that happens you have to be prepared for the possibility it is not going to be a warranty item. I've seen GM fight warranty work on several friends cars including two ZO6s that were bone stock but GM tried to claim "racing" was excessive abuse even those these were HPDE cars. Couple that with people who mod their cars and in some cases try to pull a fast one, how can you blame them. Bottom line, you pay to play. Trust me I know better than most when it comes to the Camaro. You know this too. Don't own a single JPSS part but he is a knowledgeable guy and he is right. Trying to get GM to warranty broken cars under false pretenses is nothing more than lying and stealing. I believe that was the other point.

No disrespect intended but it's true we have to own that what we do is clearly outriders or pushing the boundaries of the intent of the car.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote