Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #239
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
I agree to somewhat extinct .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea View Post
I'm curious to see how many Z28's are actually left the way they were designed. Before I had the ZL1, I had a Porsche Cayman. So naturally, I hung out on a forum with a bunch of Cayman and Boxster owners. I was excited when Porsche introduced the Boxster Spyder and then the Cayman R. They were pure track machines; lightened, different suspension, no a/c, no radio, etc. Pretty much the same stuff that was done to the Z28 to make it a near perfect track car that was also street legal. However, people just couldn't live without those comfort options. Boxster Spyders and Cayman R's were being ordered with the a/c, stereo, navigation, more comfortable seats, and other non-essentials. Dealers were even spec'ing them that way. People loved the idea of a track car on the street, but they couldn't keep it designed that way if it was going to be driven on the street regularly. In the end, most of the Boxster Spyders and Cayman R's I've seen in the dealer and online are nothing more than Boxster S's and Cayman S's with a couple special features only on their "track car" siblings. I was sad to see that, because in my opinion, it ruined the i design and purpose of the car. I have a feeling a lot of Z28's will be suffering the same fate. They won't be all out lightened track shredders. They will look like one, but will wind up with stereos and air conditioners installed, which will add a chunk of weight back to them. They will be good looking cars with a Z28 badge, but tweaked for everyday comfort and use. It's purpose will be lost. The Z28's advantages will be lost. Because of this, I think the ZL1 will remain the King of Camaros, both on and off the track.
I think most people will go over their budget just like they did with the zl1,s . It's many on the used car lot. The cars you refer to are purpose cars. Some people just have to satisfy their curiosity and that comes with a price . Me personally I have several cars to choose from on a Sunday evening . So, when I do purchase the z /28 it's gonna get modded right away I doubt I will have any regrets. I'm just saying
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #240
1967rsss

Drives: 67, 68, 88, 98, 10, 12 ZL1 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Not 100% accurate. LS7 block is more expensive because of the billet main caps.
They don't cost that much. At most $100
1967rsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #241

Drives: Getaway Special
"Back in the day".... on the street, the Z/28 was feared because many people raced on the street in 1/4 mile increments or 1/8th. They also raced, like they should, on the track in straight line races. Z/28's were NOT the baddest thing the factory offered by any means. But they were offstreet intended cars that made their way to the street and were "bad enough".

The "league" of supercars back then didn't have many rules to follow. The Z/28 competing against a Camaro SS 396/375HP (which was about as common or rare to find as the Z/28) was a "title fight". But it was like a middleweight fighting a heavyweight. Who cares? Just let the best man win. "Run what you brung" attitude! In that regard you might just see a Z/28 running up against a GTX 440 Six pack, or a 427 Chevelle. The Z/28 could beat the snot out of the big engines ---IF THE DRIVER DID EVERYTHING RIGHT and the competitor did not hook up. But, if the bigger car could hook and go, it could take the "track intended car" to the woodshed. "Back then" we could order rear end gears that fit our desires. 308, 323, 355, 373, 391, 410, 456 and so on.

Now, that mindset lasted about 3 years (1968, 1969, 1970) before the dream eroded into decades of mediocrity.

We are in good times right now. Younger folks don't realize how quickly it can end. If you have a ZL1, you really should feel good about it. How quick is quick enough after all? Anyway, it looks like the Camaro team is doing about as good as anyone could want.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #242
Siamese

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
ZL1 still has more hp and a couple inexpensive tweaks will bump it up to 636hp which should take care of that 3 sec. lap delta. I would grab the seats out of the Z/28 and slap them into my SS...
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #243
wildcat767676

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Any recent thoughts now that they've been out a bit??
wildcat767676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #244
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I think the comment expressed above are still valid today.

Flea hit the nail on the head.

Most Z/28 owners are going to start adding everyday comfort items to the car to make it a more suited DD for most. A few will leave it as it and track it.

The Z/28 is still an awesome car and will get attention due to it's exclusivity but the ZL1 is still a better all around car and the LSA engine is rock solid.

The LS7 is still a touchy motor. Only time will tell if it holds up as well as the LSA we have in the ZL1's.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #245
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
I just had resurrect this thread since the gen5 will soon be history!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote