Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #253
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik427 View Post
Set of long tube headers, Boss intake or CobraJet and the coyote will hit 500hp. Cheaper, maybe not. I don't know.
Al I needed was a set of LT's and a CAI, tuned and I'm well over 500 HP at the flywheel. I put down 432/422...

I did it with premium parts but I could have gotten very similar with a combo package of some less expensive products.

Give me about six months and I'll hopefully have my Heads (2), Cam (1), and intake manifold (1) done and I full well expect to put down 90 HP - 100 HP more than I do now. That'll have me well over 600 HP at the flywheel.

I could be wrong but I doubt a Coyote motor can do that without forced induction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Firefighter; 10-17-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #254
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Set of long tube headers, Boss intake or CobraJet and the coyote will hit 500hp. Cheaper, maybe not. I don't know.
Checking on the prices of crate engines, both engines retail for close to the same amount. Now what the profit margin is on each one I can't say.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #255
Firefighter

I think the biggest reason the LS3 vs. Coyote debate gets skewed in the Higher HP numbers is the displacement. Think of this, the LS3 doesn't HAVE to rev to high RPM'S to make HP where the Coyote does. It's reasonable to assume that an LS motor can Rev to 10K with the right parts (it gets done in racing) but the Coyote (I doubt it can) can't Rev to 15K to make the same numbers.

Now if the Coyote was say 6L or more and it still reved like the devil it would be a sick motor and GM would have to reconsider it's valve and cam placement.

Problem is a 6L motor that can Rev to 15K and make say 550 - 600 HP N/A would have so many high end materials in it and the cost would sky rocket.

Then the Mustang would have to be talked about with BMW'S and Merc's. Regular Joe's like us would be out of the conversation.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #256
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Al I needed was a set of LT's and a CAI, tuned and I'm well over 500 HP at the flywheel. I put down 432/422...

I did it with premium parts but I could have gotten very similar with a combo package of some less expensive products.

Give me about six months and I'll hopefully have my Heads (2), Cam (1), and intake manifold (1) done and I full well expect to put down 90 HP - 100 HP more than I do now. That'll have me well over 600 HP at the flywheel.

I could be wrong but I doubt a Coyote motor can do that without forced induction.

Competition cams says the Coyote will do the same and of course a few internet posters. Most stick with what I just posted. As for hitting the 600 mark, SVT Performance has a few members that are getting 525-535hp at the wheels. The basic combo is this, CNC ported heads, cams, ported CobraJet intake, throttle body, cai and long tube headers. If it's true or not, I don't know. The internet is what it is.....600 hp out of either one of these two motors is fantastic. This would not have happened ten years ago.
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #257
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
For those Ford people comparing engine sizes, but who don't want to sully themselves by looking under a GM hood, here's a Ford Family graphic.

FE = 390-427-428 Wedge; 351 is wider AND taller than the Windsor 289-302, but is VERY close to the size of a current SBC.

The width of a 4-cam Modular motor is as great as a 427 SOHC or a BOSS 429. Major surgery is required to put a Mod motor in a Gen-1 Mustang.
Attached Images

SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #258
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Don't even need longtubes to hit 500 HP. See sig.

Quote:

I'm making a bit more HP than you but haven't gained a lot of torque since my car is still running stock headers/Mid-pipe. I'm at 438 with Intake/Intake Manifold, Cat-Deletes, TB, Tune. All parts bought brand new, including the cost of tuning, I'm around 3K. I spend 1,500 more for Longtubes, Mid-pipe and a re-tune, I'll be around 450-460 RWHP and 400+ RWTQ.

Just my .02

Quote:
I think the biggest reason the LS3 vs. Coyote debate gets skewed in the Higher HP numbers is the displacement. Think of this, the LS3 doesn't HAVE to rev to high RPM'S to make HP where the Coyote does. It's reasonable to assume that an LS motor can Rev to 10K with the right parts (it gets done in racing) but the Coyote (I doubt it can) can't Rev to 15K to make the same numbers.

Now if the Coyote was say 6L or more and it still reved like the devil it would be a sick motor and GM would have to reconsider it's valve and cam placement.

Problem is a 6L motor that can Rev to 15K and make say 550 - 600 HP N/A would have so many high end materials in it and the cost would sky rocket.

Then the Mustang would have to be talked about with BMW'S and Merc's. Regular Joe's like us would be out of the conversation.

On the dyno, my 5.0 makes power all the way up to 7,500 RPM. I can check my dyno sheet, but, at 6-6.5K RPM I'm making close to what my peak numbers are (400+ RWHP) My answer to your comment is 5.0's make plenty of power through mid-range and even more up top. It's a different breed of modular engines where as my old 3V or 4V 4.6 03 Cobra would stop making power past 7K RPM and it would slowly fall off.

You can rev the 5.0 to 8K with the CJ Manifold and a clutch since the clutch can't really handle anything past 7,200-7,400 RPM consistently and still will still make power at that RPM range (8K)
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #259
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
For those Ford people comparing engine sizes, but who don't want to sully themselves by looking under a GM hood, here's a Ford Family graphic.
The 351 is hard to pass up.....nice and skinny.
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #260
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:

also a 6 liter modular would be devastating to ford's CAFE rating. their DOHC engines are just to inefficient.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #261
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
The 351 is hard to pass up.....nice and skinny.
Just like ALL SBCs. Better packaging ability makes for possibly more compact vehicle dimensions. With suspension and modern performance tires fitment considerations, the Mustang can only shrink so much with Mod v8 power. In the Gen-6 Mustang's case, it didn't shrink at all.

The Camaro is not so restricted, and THAT will be key part of the puzzle for the Gen-6 Camaro's final size, and, therefore, weight.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #262
2011shelby

Drives: 2011ShelbyGT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
also a 6 liter modular would be devastating to ford's CAFE rating. their DOHC engines are just to inefficient.
How do you figure their inefficient when the Gt500 doesn't have a GG tax, but the ZL1 does?
2011shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #263
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
[B]Riddle me this then , if the Chevy Silverado OHV v8 cost the same as a Ford F150 OHC v8 and the Base Mustang GT OHC V8 cost the same as a base Chevy Camaro SS OHV v8 how the hell doe's Ford make a profit on them ? Seams to me the cost difference is quite small . Any way if and when Chevy go's OHC in a Corvette or Camaro we will see how the numbers tell the tale.
Ford makes a profit by cutting production costs and materials in other areas and by spreading development costs across as many platforms as possible. Which is why there are so few enthusiast choices and so many vanilla cars in the FoMoCo lineup. The cost cutting is evident in their below average dependability ratings year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Your view on pricing is backwards. It's already been determined that a 15 GTPP can be had for a couple grand less than the 1LE.
The Mustang has always been cheaper than the Camaro which makes it funny that the Camaro still outsells the Mustang at a higher price X 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011shelby View Post
How do you figure their inefficient when the Gt500 doesn't have a GG tax, but the ZL1 does?
Has less to do with the engine and more to do with vehicle weight and gearing. Same reason the LS3 Corvette gets significantly better mileage than the LS3 Camaro.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #264
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post

You mean like what Ford did with the 2010/2011 Mustang?

The difference is as Medisin pointed out to me in a different thread, the difference is the 5.0 was not in production yet. I tried to use the same argument about the GTO how it launched with the LS1 then the next year the LS2 was the standard motor. the LS2 debuted in 05. Much like the coyote 5.0 debuted in 11. BUT as Medisin and others pointed out this is different. This is kind of a wait an see approach where they might revise somethings for more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post

The Mustang has always been cheaper than the Camaro which makes it funny that the Camaro still outsells the Mustang at a higher price X 5 years.

That is interesting for sure. I bet a lot of it had to do with all those potential 03-09 Camaro owners finally getting a chance to get their camaro.

Some more of my thoughts on the GT PP VS 1LE. it is disappointing that it couldn't keep up. Plain and simple there is no arguing this or that. both cars showed up and the Camaro clearly won in about 9 out of 10 of things they commented on and tested on.

and the guys on Mustang6G are just wow...just wow.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #265
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I enjoyed the video and the 1LE is a beast! But I would like to see comparisons of standard model SS to same on the GT and maybe how the 2 Automatic trannie versions compare speaking as someone who is saddled with AFM argh! (disabled mind you)

In fairness to Ford I would expect to see more Gt's with PP on the road than Camaro 1LE's as the 1LE is a very rare car in my neck of the woods as I have never seen one on the road yet.

I like the new Mustangs personally and think the 302 is a heck of an engine but doubt I would buy one either.

Cam
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #266
Firefighter

Quote:
Competition cams says the Coyote will do the same and of course a few internet posters. Most stick with what I just posted. As for hitting the 600 mark, SVT Performance has a few members that are getting 525-535hp at the wheels. The basic combo is this, CNC ported heads, cams, ported CobraJet intake, throttle body, cai and long tube headers. If it's true or not, I don't know. The internet is what it is.....600 hp out of either one of these two motors is fantastic. This would not have happened ten years ago.
Out of curiosity at what RPM do they achieve those numbers? They have to be winding the hell out of that little 302.