Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #253
duffmobile

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - IOM/IOM
I have been following your story so I did a few tests on my L99. It never felt fast to me. I used a stopwatch and I got a 6.2 0-60 from a dead stop with TCS off. Tires barely chirped for a half second.

I babied this car for the first 500 miles and did the "proper" GM handbook recommendations. I've got 1100 miles on it and it still feels kind of doggish. I am anxious to hear what happens with Scott's L99.
L99 with 2.8 LC Kenne Bell, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Corsa Catback, R2C CAI, 491 RWHP / 500 RWTQ ---- 2010 MY #7539
duffmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #254
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmobile View Post
I have been following your story so I did a few tests on my L99. It never felt fast to me. I used a stopwatch and I got a 6.2 0-60 from a dead stop with TCS off. Tires barely chirped for a half second.

I babied this car for the first 500 miles and did the "proper" GM handbook recommendations. I've got 1100 miles on it and it still feels kind of doggish. I am anxious to hear what happens with Scott's L99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Mine is number 847 off the line and it runs like a scolded dog. I hope you guys let us know what it is when you find out
The more people like you who complain to your dealer and GM, the quicker this issue will get resolved. Don't sit and wait for Scott to get an answer, you have to be proactive as well on here. I wonder how many others are in your situation, know something aint right, yet haven't contacted anyone about it yet. I believe Scott in another thread mentioned who you could contact but you'll have to ask him for the number once more..

Scott Bjorn should not have to sell his vehicle.. Few people on here have been as proactive a Camaro enthusiast on this site as he.. GM would do a lot of damage losing a customer like him over this issue which is not his fault at all..
Old 07-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #255
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ok. But what are the chances that they messed up a number of these the same way?
ROFLMAO

Intelligent Design?

All it would really take, is a misplaced fin in a batch of the cats restricting airflow.

Sealed unit, not obvious, and with robotic welding, easily accomplished.

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #256
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmobile View Post

I would suggest that you drive your car pretty hard everytime you take it out. It should start getting faster as you drive it more aggressively. If this doesn't improve performance over the next couple hundred miles or so, I would find a dyno in your area.

Most dyno shops only charge about $60.00 or so for several dyno runs (no tuning).

I pretty much suggest this for anyone with an L99 that has concerns about performance.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #257
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette

Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
This is getting weirder and weirder. I think a good bottom line might be a warning to anyone who's ordered or plans to order an SS, regardless of the transmission: Bare minimum, drive it before you hand anyone a check; and just for kicks get in a dyno run or two ASAP, so in case something's fouled up you can just dump it back at the dealer and not have to go through any of this crap. I may be wrong but I think just about every dealer has a 30-day satisfaction policy, provided you don't put a whole lot of miles on it. Bring these issues up with your dealer, the general manager, the service manager, and everyone you might possibly find yourself on the phone with should something turn out to be screwy; make it crystal clear that you know there are substandard cars out there and that you will not be buying one, and get whatever assurances you possibly can. Act like you're afraid half the cars off the line are pokey, brittle, annoying things that you wouldn't put up with for a second, even though no one knows how many are running flukey or, in all cases, why.

The bloom is going to be off the rose here pretty quick, and although you might be able to get lucky like rpepka did and resell your car to break even, if you're just ordering a car now by the time you get it people won't be desperate or stupid (well, maybe) enough to buy a used car when they can go make a deal on a new one. Don't ever lean on the hype to fool yourself into thinking you're buying a commodity that gains value over time; it's just another car and it'll devalue the minute you drive it off the lot.
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #258
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
What did they say today Scott?
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #259
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
You should NEVER buy a car without driving it first. I don't care if it is a cobalt or an Enzo. It gets driven before the check is written. They can verify my credit and call my insurance agent, but I drive it first. We were allowed to drive the vette we ordered and it is one of ten produced-if I can drive that I should be able to drive a camaro.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #260
okie2

Drives: RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
You should NEVER buy a car without driving it first. I don't care if it is a cobalt or an Enzo. It gets driven before the check is written. They can verify my credit and call my insurance agent, but I drive it first. We were allowed to drive the vette we ordered and it is one of ten produced-if I can drive that I should be able to drive a camaro.
Unless you have a way to time 0-60, wouldn't it be difficult to tell how fast your potential car is? Everyone seems to have reported their car 'felt' strong. It was only after getting beat by a Honda that they realized something was wrong. I suppose you could have a friend with a Honda V6 show up and run him before purchase.
okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #261
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
^^^For the obvious reason I want to say something to you that would get me in big trouble with the Mods....so I'll pass.

Sorry, GaryTucker, I'm not taking a car with just a few miles on it out for a test drive and checking it's 0-60 times, as most sensible people wouldn't do. Short of that, a pre-buy test drive tells you nothing about the car's ultimate performance and is therefore useless in that case.
Anything of course is possible, but I'm not buying the "wrong exhaust component(s)" diagnosis for one second....at least I hope the Oshawa workers have their sh!t together better than that. Staying intently tuned.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #262
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
^^^For the obvious reason I want to say something to you that would get me in big trouble with the Mods....so I'll pass.

Sorry, GaryTucker, I'm not taking a car with just a few miles on it out for a test drive and checking it's 0-60 times, as most sensible people wouldn't do. Short of that, a pre-buy test drive tells you nothing about the car's ultimate performance and is therefore useless in that case.
Anything of course is possible, but I'm not buying the "wrong exhaust component(s)" diagnosis for one second....at least I hope the Oshawa workers have their sh!t together better than that. Staying intently tuned.
Guess I'm not sensible then. Oh well. I'm curious what you can't say to me.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #263
rpepka

Quote:
Agreed!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #264
rpepka

Quote:
That reminds me of a story, I waited 3 years for the ZR-1 or ZL-1 Corvette in 91 or 92 to come out and saved up big bucks to buy one. I found a great deal on one in Ohio, took the red eye, rented a car, got to the dealer and went to make the purchase. The friend I brought with me said "drive the car" I said no, but he insisted, so we went for a drive. The noise was tremendous from everywhere the engine the tranny, the rear end and frankly the car was not really fast at all, besides ya needed TWO FEET TO push the clutch in! I looked at my friend and said "I don't like it". He wanted to drive and after he drove it he hated it as well. So we got back to the dealer and did not purchase the car much to the dealer's dissapointment.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #265
rpepka

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
Unless you have a way to time 0-60, wouldn't it be difficult to tell how fast your potential car is? Everyone seems to have reported their car 'felt' strong. It was only after getting beat by a Honda that they realized something was wrong. I suppose you could have a friend with a Honda V6 show up and run him before purchase.
Bring a stop watch! I am.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #266
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Probably the best way to measure 0-60 is with the G-Tech thing or Dynolicious for the iPhone. A stop watch won't work properly simply because you're not getting the roll-out and your numbers will be a bit higher.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote