Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #253
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
If you go back throughout the history of Mustang sales vs Camaro sales, the vast majority of the time the Mustang sold more units.

The 5th Gen was an exception, with the excitement of the re-released Camaro and the Transformer movie, I think those sales are the high mark, so the "downward" trend was inevitable, after all, many of the "Camaro" fans still are paying on and still enjoying their 5th Gens.

Along with GM's decision to slow down on the fleet sales and move the Camaro "up stream" with more standard features and higher pricing, I personally believe that GM planned for lower sales with more profit built into each sale.

Would they love to sell move Camaro's than Mustangs? Of course. That doesn't mean that the 6th Gen is not "successful" though as the only thing that matters is the profit margin and not "OMG, we didn't sell more Camaro's than Mustangs".

Only GM knows if the Camaro is selling as planned and profitable, any thing else is just speculation.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #254
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
It's simple similar design as last gen and prices too high for the market.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #255
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
I'm glad all you guys who are against the price, simple design, etc. etc.

Less 6th Gens driving around the better!! The more exclusive, the better!

If you guys only knew what you're missing out from lol
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #256
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Thank you for agreeing that the price conscious buyer will discount the Camaro. Think that may be why the Mustang is outselling it?

And, You are wrong about the T4 vs Ford V6. Ever been in sales? I imagine not. The Ford salesman can - and does - say their V6 is better than the GM T4 and then says the EB T4 is better than their own V6. I've heard it myself.

It's called upselling and a good salesman can do it very convincingly. There is a reason there are more base Mustangs sold than Camaros. And the Ford V6 vs the GM T4 is one selling point in the Ford Sales Guide used by their sales staff.

And the EB T4 vs GM's V6 discounts cylinder numbers over efficient and economical power and torque.

Regards.
It can't be the only reason, but I think it's say to safe it's a major factor. I still think the packaging on the LTs (which price is a part of) and lack of incentives/rebates/0% financing are big contributors too.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised a salesman would think that would work...me I would laugh and point out the performance and differences. The V6 Mustang is just as fast in the 1/4 as the EB (without PP), gets worse MPG than the 2.0T in the Camaro, and can't be had with many of the features standard or optional now only $20k Kia's, Honda's, and other cheap sporty cars. Now once you step up to the EB, it's another story. To me the V6 Mustang is made for one buyer, the person who wants the look and none of the extras. I'm sure they are selling some, but again there's been no info I have seen on Mustang sales breakout.

One thing I've noticed is many dealers are not trying to sale Camaros around me. No one has been pushy with me or even tried to keep following up even after I told them I was cross shopping. If Ford has a Sales Guide for their guys on what to say, maybe that's the problem with GM. There are definitely things the Camaro has the comparable Mustang doesn't. There's always plus and minuses on each side.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #257
HogsFan75

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
There was another post about pricing and sales of the 6th gen in these forums awhile back and I said then that I thought prices were too high and got lambasted by page after page of furious fanboy ramblings. Par for the course in this group when you have anything to say about this gen that might be perceived as a slight.

I said then that sales figures would tell the tale if people would pay more for the increased performance. It seems some will, but not enough. I expect Chevy will start heavily discounting these cars soon to pull out of this slump and move them. Time will tell.
HogsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #258
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
If you go back throughout the history of Mustang sales vs Camaro sales, the vast majority of the time the Mustang sold more units.

The 5th Gen was an exception, with the excitement of the re-released Camaro and the Transformer movie, I think those sales are the high mark, so the "downward" trend was inevitable, after all, many of the "Camaro" fans still are paying on and still enjoying their 5th Gens.

Along with GM's decision to slow down on the fleet sales and move the Camaro "up stream" with more standard features and higher pricing, I personally believe that GM planned for lower sales with more profit built into each sale.

Would they love to sell move Camaro's than Mustangs? Of course. That doesn't mean that the 6th Gen is not "successful" though as the only thing that matters is the profit margin and not "OMG, we didn't sell more Camaro's than Mustangs".

Only GM knows if the Camaro is selling as planned and profitable, any thing else is just speculation.
GM just added a third shift to LGR. No need for that if GM was planning on lower sales like we have been seeing and was clearly evident for the last few months. 5th Gen is pretty much sold out now after the firesale during the start of the year so those sales won't mask the 6th gen sales anymore. This's month we saw the results of that.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #259
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
GM just added a third shift to LGR. No need for that if GM was planning on lower sales like we have been seeing and was clearly evident for the last few months. 5th Gen is pretty much sold out now after the firesale during the start of the year so those sales won't mask the 6th gen sales anymore. This's month we saw the results of that.
Didn't they just add the 3rd shift recently?

The dealership that I bought my car at several months ago STILL doesn't have even one 6th Gen either in the showroom or in front of the dealership where you would see one if you were driving by or even stopping at the dealership.

Sure doesn't seem like there is any panic, or even urgency on GM's part (no incentives, very little advertisement and at least in my area, it doesn't seem like there are many out for sale at dealerships).
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #260
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsFan75 View Post
I expect Chevy will start heavily discounting these cars soon to pull out of this slump and move them. Time will tell.
Would Chevrolet like more sales? Absolutely, but don't expect HEAVY discounts. There is a lot of profit built in to this generation. They are selling plenty to keep things the way it is.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #261
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
1. GM did a magnificent job with the V8 trim, keep it that way, it offers unique styling/performance/balance/fit and finish compared to competitors

2. V6 models optioned up can reach mid 30's, which is too much for the v6 crowd. The problem is with dealers ordering highly optioned V6 models, with options that competition don't even offer

3. People generally prefer Mustang styling, and they buy it for the name. Don't care for performance, aggressive look, driving dynamics or uniqueness.

4. The enthusiasts who are aware of what the Camaro brings, are largely haters of the Camaro. They call it ugly, make mention of visibility, always compare modded alternative to stock Camaro offering, etc....They simply hate it because it outperforms the brand they're loyal to. Some hate it for no reason, even some that can afford it. Those types give no reasons as to why they do.

5. My local dealer has only 1 V6 Camaro on lot, I couldn't find any other one.

6. Mustang/Challenger rebates are exaggerated, where I'm from, the Mustang is selling well and there are no eye breaking sales. They're selling msrp over 40, for premium pp. After rebates, high 30's, which is not far off from the Camaro. Chryslers option, the srt or scat pack sell at minimum high 30's. So not sure why people are complaining about SS price, I understand the other two available trims.

7. Camaro offers more better feed back/better driving dynamics. Which is 'discomforting' to most people, and again, they buy for name. Mustang is more iconic to mainstream people, and they will buy it just because everyone around them says it's the 'trendy' product.

8. I see Mustang's all over the place now, there is nothing unique about them anymore. They all appear the same, rarely anyone is modding them. They have panel fitment issues. They're not as quick as newer competition.

9. An example of irrational anti-Camaro hatred, can be seen with the mustang fanboy Matt Farrah. He refuses to give any impressions of the new Camaro, and refers to Camaro's as 'rental cars'. While claiming that the stock GT offers great performance, and will only have 'wobbliness' when you're pushing it to the limit on the track, what a joke, lol.

10. Those guys at the mustang forum will be having a troll fest over these sales numbers, I don't care. GM did a great job with the SS, it competes very well, and the competitors need the top tier V8's to compare with the base V8 option of the Camaro.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #262
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
Didn't they just add the 3rd shift recently?

The dealership that I bought my car at several months ago STILL doesn't have even one 6th Gen either in the showroom or in front of the dealership where you would see one if you were driving by or even stopping at the dealership.

Sure doesn't seem like there is any panic, or even urgency on GM's part (no incentives, very little advertisement and at least in my area, it doesn't seem like there are many out for sale at dealerships).
Third shift should have started work last month.

Two closest dealers to me (15 miles north and south) have nearly 50 6th gems available. Within 50 miles there are 235 available.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #263
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
This thread had some serious acceleration. Over 20 pages in 12 hours, great read and some great feedback.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #264
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
without having to read thought all these replies, I live in the bay area and the Camaro and Corvette inventory is VERY high at most dealers

the corvettes even have a $7k discount but the problem is most of the cars are well over $70k.

Camaro 1ss for $40k+ and no sunroof, bose, or leather... SERIOUSLY?
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #265
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
with all things being said the camaro was down 40% while the mustang was down 24% and i think tje xhallemger was down 10% ladt month. Bad news all around but yes the camaro saw the biggest drop percentage wise
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #266
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
1. GM did a magnificent job with the V8 trim, keep it that way, it offers unique styling/performance/balance/fit and finish compared to competitors

2. V6 models optioned up can reach mid 30's, which is too much for the v6 crowd. The problem is with dealers ordering highly optioned V6 models, with options that competition don't even offer

3. People generally prefer Mustang styling, and they buy it for the name. Don't care for performance, aggressive look, driving dynamics or uniqueness.

4. The enthusiasts who are aware of what the Camaro brings, are largely haters of the Camaro. They call it ugly, make mention of visibility, always compare modded alternative to stock Camaro offering, etc....They simply hate it because it outperforms the brand they're loyal to. Some hate it for no reason, even some that can afford it. Those types give no reasons as to why they do.

5. My local dealer has only 1 V6 Camaro on lot, I couldn't find any other one.

6. Mustang/Challenger rebates are exaggerated, where I'm from, the Mustang is selling well and there are no eye breaking sales. They're selling msrp over 40, for premium pp. After rebates, high 30's, which is not far off from the Camaro. Chryslers option, the srt or scat pack sell at minimum high 30's. So not sure why people are complaining about SS price, I understand the other two available trims.

7. Camaro offers more better feed back/better driving dynamics. Which is 'discomforting' to most people, and again, they buy for name. Mustang is more iconic to mainstream people, and they will buy it just because everyone around them says it's the 'trendy' product.

8. I see Mustang's all over the place now, there is nothing unique about them anymore. They all appear the same, rarely anyone is modding them. They have panel fitment issues. They're not as quick as newer competition.

9. An example of irrational anti-Camaro hatred, can be seen with the mustang fanboy Matt Farrah. He refuses to give any impressions of the new Camaro, and refers to Camaro's as 'rental cars'. While claiming that the stock GT offers great performance, and will only have 'wobbliness' when you're pushing it to the limit on the track, what a joke, lol.

10. Those guys at the mustang forum will be having a troll fest over these sales numbers, I don't care. GM did a great job with the SS, it competes very well, and the competitors need the top tier V8's to compare with the base V8 option of the Camaro.

Couldn't agree with you more, excellent job.

The V8 trim is BEAST and the mustang GT will have to void their warranty just to be competitive lol!

The hate for the SS is great because they know how much it outperforms them. Sure they can mod it, anyone onelse can lol

The V6, i4, SHOULD NOT be in the mid 30k's! They loaded them way too much.

When u succeed over another brand, the hate will always be present!

Good job GM, and this is coming from a past mustang owner. But of course, I'm very performance oriented. If u want a cheaper car that gets good has mileage, the v6 mustang is a great choice. My 2cents
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote