Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #15
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
60ft for sure. The temp will also have something to do with it. I can noticeably feel the power increase as the day of 85 degrees and humid turns into night of 65 degrees and less humidity It's Very noticeable in my car.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #16
BHB4408
BHB4408

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to BHB4408 Send a message via MSN to BHB4408 Send a message via Yahoo to BHB4408
Thank you again. I respect what you are all saying about the age difference. When I was his age, I too could run faster times that I should have been in the cars I raced. I just have to realize I'm 56 now. You're also right about my 60ft times. Suspension will help, and practice is needed. I do have a line lock, and a Hurst Short Shifter. Those both helped a lot too.

Like I said from the start, I realize that it's the driver that needs help. That's me.

Like I said before, I'll stop feeling bad about my performance vs. my son. I will just concentrate on how I can improve my car and myself. My goal will be high 12's, and I want to compete in the Bracket Series we have here next year.

One last thing if you don't mind me sharing. I had a heart transplant in 2016, and the medications I was put on made me pass out. I hit my head on the floor, and had to have my skull opened to relieve the pressure. During that time, I had two strokes and it really screwed me up for a while. I honestly know that I'm still struggling with things in my mind, so I'll realize that in addition to my age, I'm not as sharp as I was when I was younger, or even just 4 years ago.

Thanks again for all your help. I respect a place I can get honest advice from experienced racers and car builders. You've all been great.
BHB4408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #17
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHB4408 View Post
Thank you again. I respect what you are all saying about the age difference. When I was his age, I too could run faster times that I should have been in the cars I raced. I just have to realize I'm 56 now. You're also right about my 60ft times. Suspension will help, and practice is needed. I do have a line lock, and a Hurst Short Shifter. Those both helped a lot too.

Like I said from the start, I realize that it's the driver that needs help. That's me.

Like I said before, I'll stop feeling bad about my performance vs. my son. I will just concentrate on how I can improve my car and myself. My goal will be high 12's, and I want to compete in the Bracket Series we have here next year.

One last thing if you don't mind me sharing. I had a heart transplant in 2016, and the medications I was put on made me pass out. I hit my head on the floor, and had to have my skull opened to relieve the pressure. During that time, I had two strokes and it really screwed me up for a while. I honestly know that I'm still struggling with things in my mind, so I'll realize that in addition to my age, I'm not as sharp as I was when I was younger, or even just 4 years ago.

Thanks again for all your help. I respect a place I can get honest advice from experienced racers and car builders. You've all been great.
Cool to hear your going to keep at it after what you have been through also glad to hear your going to stick with it and have fun GL in pursuit of the 12's I bet you get there especially when the weather is better for racing!
Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 AM   #18
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
John Force is 70 and still competitive he just won his 150th event.

Chris (the Golden Greek) Karamasines is 85 (he may be older) and still qualifies a Top Fuel Rail at NHRA events.

Sorry to hear about your health issues its good you want to get out and race it helps keep us young(I am 61)

There is an old adage about 60ft times on a 12-14 second street car that 1 tenth off the 60 equals 2 tenths at the top end.

Mine is an A6 but it likes to be walked out of the hole gently then I floor it.

Try slipping the clutch just off idle or a bit higher so you don't bog or spin you have to find the happy point.

The best part is that its fun practicing and the progress/results are measurable.

Don't compete against your sons time just gradually improve on yours.

BTW DA has a lot to do with ET and MPH get some dense cool air and watch her fly
Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #19
Greenhornet2

The fastest guys definitely do work that clutch to get low 60ft times. Probably the hardest part with an M6. You want a quick release but a bit of slippage to not bog but not too much slippage! I hit a 1.89 60ft on my Hankook Ventus rs3 20" tires with a soft launch, but I have a lot of torque so I don't have to worry about bog much. Once I put my LPW cover on I'll be trying a launch with my drag slicks and see how that goes!
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope if anything like that happens to me I have the strength to recover and continue doing the things I love. You are an inspiration. I'm 36
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 08-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #20
BHB4408
BHB4408

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to BHB4408 Send a message via MSN to BHB4408 Send a message via Yahoo to BHB4408
For me, racing is like therapy. Thanks to all of you. I'll have more questions so you'll see me from time to time. Progress is the goal and it's fun to be making am effort to be a better driver. Suspension and 60 foot times will be my next accomplishment.

I can't get a picture of my car on the site. I have a JPG photo. The site asks me to choose a photo, I do, then it only has an "edit" button to push. What am I doing wrong? Help is much appreciated.
BHB4408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #21
Greenhornet2

Pictures are usually a pain in the ass on forums. This one turns mine all upside down. It's easier to use imgur.com then copy the link from there to post here.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #22
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
The fastest guys definitely do work that clutch to get low 60ft times. Probably the hardest part with an M6. You want a quick release but a bit of slippage to not bog but not too much slippage! I hit a 1.89 60ft on my Hankook Ventus rs3 20" tires with a soft launch, but I have a lot of torque so I don't have to worry about bog much. Once I put my LPW cover on I'll be trying a launch with my drag slicks and see how that goes!
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope if anything like that happens to me I have the strength to recover and continue doing the things I love. You are an inspiration. I'm 36
What kind of times are you running with your setup, Greenhornet?
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #23
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
What kind of times are you running with your setup, Greenhornet?
I haven't gone to the track. I've only used the diablosport tests. With the street tires it ran estimated 11.88 with a 1.89 60ft 118mph. Supposedly they are pretty accurate i think it uses the front wheel speed sensors to calculate distance and the tire size is correct. though a couple people said they estimate on the slow side. Once i put in the toe links trailing arms and lpw cover i plan to take it to the track. Hopefully this year, but time is running out.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #24
Chris49066SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I haven't gone to the track. I've only used the diablosport tests. With the street tires it ran estimated 11.88 with a 1.89 60ft 118mph. Supposedly they are pretty accurate i think it uses the front wheel speed sensors to calculate distance and the tire size is correct. though a couple people said they estimate on the slow side. Once i put in the toe links trailing arms and lpw cover i plan to take it to the track. Hopefully this year, but time is running out.
Right on. I remember talking about this now a week or so ago on the Drag Race thread, I believe it was.

Just a couple of days ago a guy I work with said he wanted to run me at the drag strip, and he has the same list of mods as you do in your sig, except he has a Kenne Bell, is lowered, but has street tires on 20"s as well. Hes an auto though with stock cam, gears, converter, and has never took his to a track. Just had me curious is all. Hope you can make it out and put down some nice times. Any plans of using a sticky tire when you run yours?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #25
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Right on. I remember talking about this now a week or so ago on the Drag Race thread, I believe it was.

Just a couple of days ago a guy I work with said he wanted to run me at the drag strip, and he has the same list of mods as you do in your sig, except he has a Kenne Bell, is lowered, but has street tires on 20"s as well. Hes an auto though with stock cam, gears, converter, and has never took his to a track. Just had me curious is all. Hope you can make it out and put down some nice times. Any plans of using a sticky tire when you run yours?
Yes. I bought a set of 17" s71 welds with 28x10 hoosier drags. I just want to put on my LPW diff cover before i try a launch with them tho.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:07 PM   #26
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
With practice and the right mods, your times will improve. Back when I was a M6, I averaged 1.57 60' times.

Also, slicks are for sticks.
DR are for autos.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #27
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
You mentioned that you used 17 "wheels for your second attempt.
Didn't it just happen that you changed your ideal gear ratio?

Although I have never raced in a drag race (it is too short for me to enjoy) but I raced in endurance races. ...6, 9, and 12 hours.

I say this because when I first got into the car, it has 16" wheels and I was driving fantastic times.

Then I switched to 15 "and I never drove a good time again.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:17 AM   #28
Chris49066SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
You mentioned that you used 17 "wheels for your second attempt.
Didn't it just happen that you changed your ideal gear ratio?

Although I have never raced in a drag race (it is too short for me to enjoy) but I raced in endurance races. ...6, 9, and 12 hours.

I say this because when I first got into the car, it has 16" wheels and I was driving fantastic times.

Then I switched to 15 "and I never drove a good time again.
It depends on what aspect ratio you have, George. 305/45/17 will give you a different tire height than 305/40/17 and change your effective gear ratio.

My effective gear ratio is 4.04 with my 3.91 gears and 27.8" tall tires. Combine that with the auto trans having an aggressive 1st gear and thats just one of the things that really get my car up and moving out of the hole.

As far as an "ideal" gear ratio; thats gonna depend on the combo with all the factors added up like power, weight, converter, what trans and gear you've got, where your powerband is, the shape of the curve, what you intend to use the car for, just, everything working together.

Back to your original question though, if you are looking to keep the same gear ratio, you just need to get the proper aspect ratio to keep the same (or close to the same) tire height. The smaller the wheel, the more sidewall you will have to absorb the hit.