Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Thank you, this is a start!

If the L99 and LS3 are the same except for the Resonators and j-pipe in the muffler, why would removing it make is raspier on the L99? Does the LS3 use a resonator? (if so, it must be vastly different) What about a resonated x-pipe t replace it?

Where I am gong, is someone told me don't waste money on an axle back, it is cheaper and better to remove the big sound killer, the resonator on my L99.

That thread you linked to is helpful, but still not as good as what you posted.

thanks!

Jim
The problem is, and no disrespect to steelcamaro, that's HIS interpretation and it will vary from person to person. The only REAL way to tell which is louder is to line them all up and check the decibel level in the same spots on every car.

The decision to go axleback or catback is purely what you want and how much you want to spend. Some prefer to swap out the whole system for various reasons while others choose to just swap out the the big parts. It's just tubing. Removing the resonators won't make a night/day difference. They just tone the exhaust sound down a little. The mufflers and cats are the BIG sound killers. There are J pipes in both the L99 and LS3 muffler. Those are what kill the drone. There are positives and negatives to removing the resonator on the L99. It weighs around 14lbs so that's a significant weight savings but it houses the OEM crossover. That means you'll want to add in a aftermarket H or X pipe. On the LS3, it's pointless to remove them since it's just a pair of bullet resonators. They don't weigh much and neither the L99 or LS3 resonators are restrictive.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The best option for most of us is too play around with the different set-ups. Buy one try it if you don't like it hell I might buy it off you and you can go search for a different set-up. The basic info is already posted up above.

I really feel like almost all the very loud setups sound much alike on youtube without headphones on and that's what makes it difficult. Best thing would be to get out to a meet or car show and talk to guys with exhausts and ask for a listen.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #17
DevilDawgSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The first mod I did was to remove the mufflers and put pipe. It sounded great with my Vararam ram air intake.

Recently, I went with LT headers and cat delete. The only thing between my headers and tips are the resonators. It is EXTREMELY loud and the drone is really bad. Once I get above 80, it really ratchets up. At 100, I can't hear my wife next to me, it's that loud.

My Flowmaster Outlaw axle back just arrived today. It will be on tomorrow. I can't imagine it being louder than what it is now.
DevilDawgSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 AM   #18
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
6. Headers stock pipes and mufflers. - Opens up the stock sound and sounds like LT headers would sound on many catbacks. Just don't expect anything incredibly obnoxious. I would say just north of middle of the road for this one.
You sound a little frustrated that people going through this decision-making process bother with new threads rather than sorting through the mountain of discussions pre-existing. Yes, it's all been discussed before but 1)it's a lot to sort through 2) opinions like your #6 above are fresh and very valuable for someone like me considering this exact set up. I do not want "anything incredibly obnoxious". In fact, I'd prefer a stealth machine. But, I've also learned from reading through many of the old threads that you really can't unlock the power of these engines without LTs. I want the power. I'm willing to accept some increase in sound levels, but not "obnoxious". I'd also like to preserve the NPP I just spent $800 on. So, thanks for sharing your experience. It has value.