Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by e7lek View Post
What do you mean wrong, they drop the warranty here in Bahrain...
It actually is incorrect to say headers drop warranty.

It's not cut and dry. Warranty isn't all or nothing for something like headers. A tune is going to kill more of the warranty(most likely all of powertrain) then headers(would probably void exhaust warranty only). It's because the tune changes the entire composition of the car and they can't point to it for all types of issues.

Go with what you think based off your own research. I wouldn't trust the majority of people interpretation of the warranty. If you have doubt or need clarification give chevy a call. Also, Official chevy warrant policy is often interpreted different from dealer to dealer and some let you get away with. Ore than others.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
e7lek

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
It actually is incorrect to say headers drop warranty.

It's not cut and dry. Warranty isn't all or nothing for something like headers. A tune is going to kill more of the warranty(most likely all of powertrain) then headers(would probably void exhaust warranty only). It's because the tune changes the entire composition of the car and they can't point to it for all types of issues.

Go with what you think based off your own research. I wouldn't trust the majority of people interpretation of the warranty. If you have doubt or need clarification give chevy a call. Also, Official chevy warrant policy is often interpreted different from dealer to dealer and some let you get away with. Ore than others.
i agree but the fact that headers will throw CELs means that a tune is compulsory, thus dropping the warranty when installing headers.

But yes, over here even if you only install headers you still lose your warranty. They wanted to drop my warranty for replacing the resonator with an X pipe on my L99, its corrupt here thankfully i talked to the head manager and when he saw that i knew the policies outside the country he agreed for me to replace the resonator....
e7lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
Msmall143

Quote:
i agree but the fact that headers will throw CELs means that a tune is compulsory, thus dropping the warranty when installing headers.

But yes, over here even if you only install headers you still lose your warranty. They wanted to drop my warranty for replacing the resonator with an X pipe on my L99, its corrupt here thankfully i talked to the head manager and when he saw that i knew the policies outside the country he agreed for me to replace the resonator....
And to your point about headers with cats requiring a tune is exactly why these were developed. That's been common practice for years, you tune when you get headers because you want to eliminate the cel and increase hp. Many tune in that scenario only because they feel they have to to eliminate cels. A lot of those folks would have left a bit of the hp gained from the headers on the table if they had the option to not tune and still not get the cel while maintaining warranty.

It seems kooks designed these green cats specifically not to trigger cel's. It for for the people that want to go with headers and high flow cats but do not want to tune right away and void full warranty. Do a bit of research on kooks hi flow green cats and let me know what you think.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Cause dis is Murica!

If they drop your warranty then just trade it in for a Bugatti!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I'm not getting it? If your going to mod the car, do it right. Get all the HP you can. Are you buying headers just to say you have them? Any time you mess with a motor like yours to the point where it makes a definite change in the system and how it runs you need to tune it for the upgrades. If I were you get a good CAI, Nice long tube Headers nice exhaust and a good tune. you will definitely feel and hear a difference! If you want to keep cats or order them with the headers, all good. You can delete them and tune them out when you do the tune.
Just My Opinion. I hate to see a guy short himself on quality mods.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by tys2010camaro View Post
I'm not getting it? If your going to mod the car, do it right. Get all the HP you can. Are you buying headers just to say you have them? Any time you mess with a motor like yours to the point where it makes a definite change in the system and how it runs you need to tune it for the upgrades. If I were you get a good CAI, Nice long tube Headers nice exhaust and a good tune. you will definitely feel and hear a difference! If you want to keep cats or order them with the headers, all good. You can delete them and tune them out when you do the tune.
Just My Opinion. I hate to see a guy short himself on quality mods.
It's question of maintaining a warranty or not. Adding headers without a tune still increases hp and improves sound while maintaining warrant - what's not to get?

This would give you the option to decide until later mods wether you really want to tune or not.

Tons of people do cai intake with out a tune. Even a cai intake would benefit more with a tune. I'm wanting to apply the same thing to cai and headers.

I'd be happy to leave 15hp on the table and have a warranty for the next 5 years!

You say "if you gonna mod your car do it right, get all the hp you can". That may be your definition of "right"

Mine would be more along the lines of "if your gonna mod your car, do it right with quality parts and professional installs while maintaining warranty as long as possible, do not void warranty until absolutely necessary". Different theories on "right"

It's not like you can't tune later with these, it's just not required to eliminate cel. Lots tune just to eliminate cel
Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
You say "if you gonna mod your car do it right, get all the hp you can". That may be your definition of "right"

Mine would be more along the lines of "if your gonna mod your car, do it right with quality parts and professional installs while maintaining warranty as long as possible, do not void warranty until absolutely necessary". Different theories on "right"

Big Time Different Theories on "Right". About the only thing we agree on is Quality Parts and Professional installs. If your worried about warranty. Now your on a different playing field. Again! In my Opinion, Adding a CAI, Headers and Exhaust without a tune your leaving a lot on the table. If your worried about maintaining warranty then yea, your very limited and opinions get personal. Half the threads you read guys are scared and timid about adding headers because of voiding warranty.

I didn't loose a seconds sleep about losing my warranty. Knock on wood, Zero problems and my warranty has expired and I had a complete blast tearing it up. I don't know bro. I voided my warranty, I swim immediately after I eat, don't wear my seat belt, run with scissors. Rebel man!
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Do they give you a certificate on a piece of paper saying your entire warranty is void when you install headers lol?

No, A warranty isnt this big blanket thing that can just be cancelled. Every single part has its own warranty against manufacturer defects.

Simply put, a warranty will not cover damage caused by an aftermarket part. The presence of an aftermarket part doesnt void your entire warranty.

I have a tune, headers, and intake and my entire rear end was replaced under warranty with absolutely no hassle, and GM did request to see my ecm file or w/e.
A lot of people definitely have the wrong idea about warranties. I did too before I read up on it, then actually experienced it first hand.

And as mentioned above, I did cosmetic mods for the first 16k miles, then got an intake and axleback before 20k, then around 22k miles I got my tune and headers. I waited as long as I could to tune the car, just in case. But I am still confident that I have a good chance at a warranty claim, if an aftermarket part doesnt cause the damage.

Ive even heard of successful lawsuits against GM for oil pump failure on cammed / supercharged engines.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Why do you think kooks green cats will cause a cel when they were specifically designed not to?
Do a search within this subforum. Members with green cats have gotten CELs and read the responses they got back from the manufacturer when they complained about it.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
There is no so thing as "voiding my warranty".

You can have a dealer deny an individual claim you make for a failure during the warranty period if the failure was caused by your mod or aftermarket part.

For instance my Silverado has a turbo kit on it. I took it in 4 times for warranty repairs and all 4 times the warranty was honored because the failures had nothing to do with my turbo setup. My water pump was replaced under warranty. Same thing when a power window motor failed. Same thing when one of my rear windows didn't seal right. Two claims on that one.

It's not like you put on headers and you are now naked with no warranty. Anything that fails that was not caused by your headers is still covered. So you do have some exposure but that's the reality of modding. Either just go ahead and mod an enjoy it or don't mod until the warranty is done if you can't accept any exposure to covering a loss from your own pocket.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Do a search within this subforum. Members with green cats have gotten CELs and read the responses they got back from the manufacturer when they complained about it.
Ive done the search, and just did it again to double check. if it's as easy as you say to find please post link. But so far know ones given an example of green cats throwing cels from personal experience.

Last edited by Msmall143; 11-23-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
There is no so thing as "voiding my warranty".

You can have a dealer deny an individual claim you make for a failure during the warranty period if the failure was caused by your mod or aftermarket part.

For instance my Silverado has a turbo kit on it. I took it in 4 times for warranty repairs and all 4 times the warranty was honored because the failures had nothing to do with my turbo setup. My water pump was replaced under warranty. Same thing when a power window motor failed. Same thing when one of my rear windows didn't seal right. Two claims on that one.

It's not like you put on headers and you are now naked with no warranty. Anything that fails that was not caused by your headers is still covered. So you do have some exposure but that's the reality of modding. Either just go ahead and mod an enjoy it or don't mod until the warranty is done if you can't accept any exposure to covering a loss from your own pocket.
This is reiterating what I previously said. We're talking about tuning voiding powertrain compared to headers not voiding all powertrain.

Water pump and power windows aren't powertrain!
Old 11-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
What CEL's are folks getting? In the 4th gen days we'd get PO 420 "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
What CEL's are folks getting? In the 4th gen days we'd get PO 420 "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold.
I don't know the actual code. But it's not the lt's causing the cel, it's the insufficiency of the hi flow cats triggering a cel from the o2 sensors. That's why I'm looking at these new kooks green cats which are supposed to be more efficient hence not requiring a tune.