Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
foo.fighter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS IOM M6
sorry to bring up an older thread. how do the hre flow forms compare to the zl1 rims. would you say they are pretty equal in strength? or the zl1 are still stronger
foo.fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
They don't compare, flow formed and billet forged are not even close.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #17
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Personally, most of us here aren't going to test the limits of a flow-formed wheel. They're not quite as strong as a true forged wheel but they have some history in racing. BBS and OZ have used the technology for years.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #18
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
There are several guys who use forgestar wheels for road courses with no issue. If I were to get another set for the track it would be a set of those for the price, strength and weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Forgestar. they make 3 designs I think, F14 (popular) C5 and a C10
At least two members bent Forgestar wheels; one member bent both front wheels at the same time at his second track day. The other member bent it in daily driving, and he doesn't even recall hitting anything. Just search "Forgestar Bent" online and you'll see what I mean.

OEM ZL1/1LE wheels are real forged wheels, and are actually tougher than most if not all other forged wheels available for the same size. For the price in classifieds, it's a steal.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Finspeed without the lightening process about $800 each.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #20
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Finspeed without the lightening process about $800 each.
The bottom line here is that you get what you pay for. There are no free meals when it comes to TRUE FORGED WHEELS. You just need to decide what works for your specific application. These are my BBS CH-R Flow Formed wheels from Tire Rack in SATIN BLACK & I love them.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
MODBARGAINS.COM has some HRE flow formed wheels that might fit your bill. There's a thread on here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
BINGO! That might be the best option to consider. In this industry you have 2 options to choose from out of a list of 3. You have strong, light, and inexpensive. If you want an inexpensive FORGED wheel that's like asking for all three, so there's no way. Now the best options for inexpensive STRONG wheels are the HRE FF01/HRE FF15 which comes with a lifetime structural warranty, or the other option is Forgestar which are usually made to order wheels (so there is a wait time), but they are strong as well and better on the wallet than compared to a fully forged wheel.

Fully Forged wheels usually go for at least $5,000+. Your HRE FF01 or HRE FF15 wheel which you see both below are going to be about half that. PM me for more details but I agree, this might be the best option especially given the warranty too, nobody else has that:

HRE FF01:

HRE FF15:

Since that picture above is the only picture on a Camaro, here's their studio shots of the FF15:

Send me a PM if you have any questions!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #22
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Thanks Guys, great suggestions.
I was thinking forged, because probably I will take the car to the track, and want something safe and dependable. Somewhere I read that the ZL1 imitations were only good for looks and not for the track.
Forged is very durable, but if you want to stay cost efficient that's going to be hard to come by. Least expensive Forged wheels on the market that I'm aware of are BC forged wheels because they're made in Taiwan. They still use strong aluminum that's all Forged, but obviously it sounds like you want to use them and abuse them and still not worry about having any bends cracks. Bending/cracking can happen to the best wheels made out there, just depends on what you hit or how hard you hit it, but ultimately even the strongest wheels can bend. What makes the biggest difference is the WARRANTY, as I eluded to on the previous post I just made about how HRE Wheels have a lifetime structural warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
Hahahahaha. I can be a real air head sometimes. Yes, you are correct, in huge font at the top of the page it says "Forged Wheels" and these are decidedly not forged. Oops.

I wouldn't feel too bad about tracking a non-forged wheel however as long at is made properly using some other fab method. I track on the OEM SS wheels and I am pretty sure that those are not forged correct?
I've tracked non-forged wheels all my life, never been a problem for me. I wouldn't have any problem continuing to track my car with non-fully forged wheels as long as they were made very well to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
There are several guys who use forgestar wheels for road courses with no issue. If I were to get another set for the track it would be a set of those for the price, strength and weight.
Yep! I've got quite a few guys on here that run Forgestars without issues on track. I myself used to track on my 20" set but I've lately decided to opt for a 18" fitment now just for better tire selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I recommended the HRE Flow Formed because they claim "near forged strength and reduce weight at a reduced cost".

I'm looking at a set but since they are not custom BS they might not be able to do what I want as far as sizing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
High load rating on the HRE FF series wheels, made by arguably the best wheel manufacturer there is today, backed up by that warranty I keep going on about, seems like a win-win situation to me.

Just FYI the FF15 coming out comes in 20x10 and 20x11 so you can run what everybody wants 275/285 up front and 315 on the rears

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo.fighter View Post
sorry to bring up an older thread. how do the hre flow forms compare to the zl1 rims. would you say they are pretty equal in strength? or the zl1 are still stronger
ZL1 wheels are HEAVVVVVY! HRE's will absolutely give you better performance thanks to less unsprung weight. But back to the warranty, if you bend a ZL1 wheel, GM wont warranty it, but if you happen to run into a situation with an HRE wheel, that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
At least two members bent Forgestar wheels; one member bent both front wheels at the same time at his second track day. The other member bent it in daily driving, and he doesn't even recall hitting anything. Just search "Forgestar Bent" online and you'll see what I mean.

OEM ZL1/1LE wheels are real forged wheels, and are actually tougher than most if not all other forged wheels available for the same size. For the price in classifieds, it's a steal.
The one you're referring to got his Forgestar wheels replaced for no cost on him. It was my customer and was a freak occurrence. Not sure who the other member is, but not all wheels are 100% bulletproof, even the best of the best on the market can bend or crack. To be honest though, only 2 members that you've seen out of probably a few hundred on the site ain't bad if you ask me!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
The bottom line here is that you get what you pay for. There are no free meals when it comes to TRUE FORGED WHEELS. You just need to decide what works for your specific application. These are my BBS CH-R Flow Formed wheels from Tire Rack in SATIN BLACK & I love them.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Love the CH-R wheels! They were tops on my shopping list until BBS just announced the CI-Rs. If there's a company that knows flow-forming it's the one who invented it, BBS.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #24
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I know guys who track cast wheels, mostly because wheels are nearly a wear item for tracking/racing. It's too expensive to keep replacing expensive forged wheels, so they run cast and just replace them once they get bent and replaced. Granted this is mostly for a chump car, so cheap is the name of the game. Point is, unless you have a very crappy wheel, it's not going to come apart.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote