Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
06GTO

Drives: 06 GTO, 06 Z06, 06 X5 4.4
Sucks, but you will be back on the road in no time..just looks like a simple 10-15mph collision. Is that rad fluid or washer fluid from the other guys car? If thats rad fluid, what a joke, these new cars crumple so easily. I hit someone in my 95 Buick Riviera (same chassis as the aurora) at about 20mph, completely ****ed their car over. All i needed was a new bumper and a headlight. The big metal crash bar directly behind the bumper saved everything. lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Ok, anyone that can shed some light on this would be a big help.

Situation:

The repair center called me to say that the insurance company wanted to fix my car with used parts. The repair manager, who was doing me a "favor" said, "I don't feel right about making the repair with used parts." and advised me to call the insurance company to ask for new oem parts to be used in my repair. He gave me the "you should have a warranty" line and I bought it. Since he was looking out for me.

So, I called the insurance company with my concern. To which they politely informed me that they stand by their estimate of the repair which calls for "like quality" replacement parts and the repair center would have to justify to them the need for new parts...

So, I call the repair manager back and repeat to him what I was told. He then gives me his sob story that he doesn't work for free and he needs fair compensation for the work he will be required to perform and he will not warranty any used parts unless I am willing to pay the difference... hmmmm.. I then explain to him that he needs to contact the insurance company and decide if he can repair the car within the estimate they provided him. Then I will decide if that repair is acceptable and make a decision as to whether or not I want to take may car somewhere else.

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking about all of this. It seems to me that the repair center is using me to apply pressure to the insurance company to, in short, get more money out of them. And the insurance company is using me as leverage to get them to do the repair for what they estimated...

I'm not a happy camper.......

Any insight would be nice right about now....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
"like quality" sure sounds alot nicer than outright "used" parts.
to me it sounds like the repair center wants the insurance company to dish out MORE by saying you need new parts and warranty. giving you the run around.
if your car was new or close to new, i would push the insurance company to dish out the extra funds needed. but since its not so new, "used" parts would seem to fit the description for the "like quality" of your car

IMO if the repair center really doesnt want to do the work covered by insurance, take it elsewhere. it sucks that its draggin for you though, good luck!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
You shouldn't be dealing directly with the body shop at all except to pick up the car when it's done.

Tell your insurance company they need to deal with the body shop directly.

It is highly unlikely the insurance company would suggest using used parts on anything cosmetic, if you end up with a scuffed or used tail light or something similar I would ask for a new replacement and if they do not agree then file a report to BBB.

Many body shops cut corners to save a buck. Do not feel too sorry for this repair guy...I worked for a body shop for a while and this is typical BS he is telling you. Likely he will get a check from insurance company and cut corners to earn more $$$. If he has any skills at all he will mend the metal and save the new parts costs.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
And remember to tell them that you want to see ALL of the parts that were removed and replaced. I know of a couple shops here in St. Louis that recently got busted for lying about parts repairs/replacements.

Sorry that you are being dragged into this mess but remember that YOU are the only one looking our for YOUR interests....body guy is watching his bottom line, insurance company is watching their bottom line....

Best of luck!!
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #20
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
First of all, who wrote the estimate? The dealer shop or an adjuster? Was the adjuster from the actual ins. co., or was he an independent adjuster? The shop may or not be on a "direct repair" program with this particular in. co., and won't rock the boat when it comes to using new parts. Maybe the shop is worried he won't get any more work sent his way if he doesn't "play ball" with said Ins. co. I am an independent shop, I own it, I do the repairs MYSELF. If an insurance co. writes an estimate, that's fine. If I disagree with "used parts" we fight the ins. co. Sometimes, the Ins. co. will see it our way, sometimes not. Using aftermarket (chinese) or used parts is better left for the junkers on the road. I wouldn't use garbage parts on my vehicle. The fact is, used parts, if in excellent condition, may be okay in some situations, some not. Bottom line: the ins. co. wants to spend THE LEAST AMOUNT POSSIBLE, and leave any warranty concerns or future claims of part failure up to the bodyshop. Some shops agree to this practice in order to get work sent their way, these are direct repair shops. I would find an independent shop that is looking out for you the consumer. Also, if this ins. co. is paying the bill at fault, you could always threaten litigation in order to restore your car to "pre-accident" condition. I know this all seems like a hassle (and it is), but try to have patience. Remember...YOU are the BOSS. I might also suggest asking friends where they have had repairs done and check with your local Better Business Bureau.
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
You shouldn't be dealing directly with the body shop at all except to pick up the car when it's done.

Tell your insurance company they need to deal with the body shop directly.

It is highly unlikely the insurance company would suggest using used parts on anything cosmetic, if you end up with a scuffed or used tail light or something similar I would ask for a new replacement and if they do not agree then file a report to BBB.

Many body shops cut corners to save a buck. Do not feel too sorry for this repair guy...I worked for a body shop for a while and this is typical BS he is telling you. Likely he will get a check from insurance company and cut corners to earn more $$$. If he has any skills at all he will mend the metal and save the new parts costs.
I don't "cut corners" to save a buck. If I operated that way, I wouldn't be in business for the last 24 years. Some large corporate-owned shops have done this, but us little "mom and pop" independents DO NOT. Please don't lump me in that group of aholes.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Wow!!!

Awesome information really, thanks everyone.

After reading everyone's thoughts it looks like I'm heading in the right direction.

Here's the update.

I finally spoke with the adjuster, who I'm pretty sure works for the insurance company. And, they are the "At Fault" insurance company, not my own. He explained to me that he would request the claims department to authorize the repair center to do the repair and pay for a warranty. But that would take a few more days.

Or, I could have my car repaired at one of their approved centers and get a life time warranty on all parts and labor whether parts are used (Like kind and quality) or OEM. The warranty would be as long as I own the car and as long as I live in the U.S.

He gave me the number of the preferred center and faxed me the approval rating of that center and explained to me that if they cant find used parts that are adequate then they will authorize new parts to be purchased and installed.

I guess I should have said this up front, the repair center I've been dealing with is a Mazda dealership. So, I don't know why they would be such pains about this whole process.

Bottom line is if I go with the preferred repair center I get a warranty if I go with the dealer I don't.

I've pretty much decided that preferred repair center is the way to go. Unless anyone can see a flaw in my logic.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

My concern with a "preferred center" is that they are under the Ins. company's thumb. Check out that shop via BBB first. Just because the ins. co. recommends it, that's not exactly a great thing. In fact, it's usually a bad thing. As far as one guy said.."you shouldn't be dealing with the bodyshop directly"...why WOULDN'T you? They are the ones repairing the car, not the adjuster. That advice makes no sense at all to me.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I looked them up and they have a satisfactory rating with 1 complaint in the last 36 months which was resolved.

And the Adjuster said I would be working directly with them regarding my repair.

I'm trying to be as objective as I can. But, of all the people I've dealt with thus far, The adjuster has been the most rational and informed of them all. He was content to ask the claims department to authorize payment to the dealer for a warranty repair. If that is what I wanted. But after realizing that the Dealer wouldn't budge and that I am expected to work with the preferred center directly I'm feeling like that is the best route.

I will confess that this is a problem I don't want to deal with any longer. So expediency is now moving up in priority.

It seems like my best option as of now.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
^^^

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Be sure and ask the ins. co. about 'diminished value'. Also tell them you want a repair evaluation done by an independent shop AT THEIR EXPENSE after repairs are made just to keep them honest. Who is the ins. co.? Is fla. no-fault state? I'll explain more later, gotta run.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Liberty mutual is the insurance company handling the claim. Florida has a No Fault law on the books.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #28
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
I know what you mean. It's like, let this nightmare end already.

EDIT: I didn't realize the previous detals.

I'd call dedicated body shops in the area, not dealers, and ask them if they know, and can work with the ins. company that is paying the bills.

A good body shop manager, is going to say "Blank ins. co.? - they - are bad - good -great. I can use new OEM parts -or new aftermarket parts with them."

Or, the BS can talk with the adjuster and see if they can work it out.

Last edited by camaro5; 12-02-2008 at 06:05 PM.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote