Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Get a reflective sunshield cover to put over the windshield when you'll be out of the car for extended periods. Believe it or not, they really do help a good amount. It only takes a minute to fasten them and they'll also protect the interior from heat damage which is another issue down the road.

And needless to say back home, if you have a garage, use it.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 10-17-2008 at 06:44 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #16
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
it's not that bad, the AC cools it quickly lol. and it's a smaller car so the AC will cool it extra fast cause it's less area
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #17
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
My current ride is black and my ride before was also black. As far as heat goes being an issue, I've found it to be liveable, but yeah with black exterior color, and leather... When the sun is blazing and when it's a nice summer day my interior is an oven! My ride before actually had tints and it certainly did help reflect some rays, and keep the interior cooler.

Seeing that you live in Houston this may be an issue, I know it would be for those that probably live in the south west. But I wouldn't let that be your determining factor in getting black or not...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #18
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'll also voice support for getting a sun shade. They keep temps down and protect the interior from damaging UV rays. It kills two birds with one stone. Also tint (keep it legal) helps. I live in Southern California and I plan on a black leather interior. Black leather just looks great, especially on this car, so I'll suck it up. Lighter colored leathers stain really easily. Edmunds had a long term test car with gray leather and jeans left permanent stains in the seat.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #19
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
I have had several black leather interiors in FLA...the single most important thing to do is get your windows tinted as dark as possible (I go a few shades past the legal limit on the rear window and rear sides. Second, either use a windshield screen or park so that your windshield doesn't bear the the brunt on the passing sun.

On days your certain it won't rain, a millimeter crack in the windows will also keep the car cooler.

It gets hot...but not intolerable.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #20
screamingchicken88

Drives: '88 Firebird,98 Grand Cherokee
My jeep has black leather seats, and luckily for me, I have no working ac or a driver's seat heater. In the summer its not really a problem, only when I am driving slowly and no wind is coming into the car. In the winter its only bad for about 5 minutes, or until the heat comes on fully. But in a new car, you won't have any of these things to worry about. So go for the leather!

Oh, and the temperature of a car during the summer really depends on the size of the car. Bigger car, more time to heat up. But the leather only makes it a little more uncomfortable.
screamingchicken88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
I'm sure some of my Arizona friends would agree... black, white, tan... leather, cloth, etc. It's all hot. Personally, when it's in the 110+ range, and I get out of the car (A/C full blast) it looks like someone just poured Gatorade down my back. For that reason I prefer leather here. Mainly because it doesn't absorb sweat as much, there for the seat isn't soaked when I get back in
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #22
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Personally I'm getting the leather interior since I'm fed up with the cloth in my Saab. I just can't get it clean after the soon to be ten year of abuse, and while it's not bad enough that I can't stand driving around in it (it's still a fantastic car for it's price and age) I sooo want leather next time. Plus somehow to me American V8 = leather or vinyl.

And as other people have said, it will have a good A/C so I'll probably just switch it on on full blast for a minute or so on hot summer days and it will be veeery comfortable. Did that with the rental I had when I went over to Atlanta in the summer a few years ago and it worked great.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #23
Joker57676

Drives: 2007 Civic Si
I've had black leather in two different cars. One when I lived in Las Vegas and one when I lived in Tucson, AZ. Neither was really that bad. It's more other people telling you how hot it is. I wouldn't ever turn down a dark interior because it was too hot. It really isn't that bad. Besides, how often is your skin actually touching the seating surfaces? I know mine rarely ever did but occasionally female passengers with short skirts/shorts complained...but the car isn't for them is it? The only issue I ever had was with my aluminum shift knob; that bastard got too hot to touch. I had to grip the boot to shift.

Mark
Joker57676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
+1 for the sun shade. Our '03 Envoy's windows were apparently tinted from the factory, at least the rear windows. We use a sun shade for the windshield and it helps a lot.

I'd say the remote start + AC would cool the car down before you even got in.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #25
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Get an automatic and then you can remote start the car (included in 2LT and 2SS) a few minutes before jumping in. Just set the A/C to blow cold before getting out of the car.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
mrpre10der

forget the heat

i have a 08escalade with 3 rows of seats yes it does get hot but wait till u get all the dust . it just comes out everywhere.im still getting black intertior. and alot of wipes . i also use very nice terry cloth towels over the seats
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
07MonteSS

Drives: 1985 Red Corvette 1978 Lotus
I have a 07 Monte SS with black leather and yes it sucks in the hot weather...its a oven in fact. But I love it
07MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
Evilkosh99

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
I've lived in South and Central Florida where it is rediculously hot for at least 8 months of the year. I have a black car with dark grey leather interior. It is hot for a little while when you get in, but the air cools it down pretty quickly. I never used a sun shade but definitely will on the new camaro as the whole front dash of my '03 grand am gt is peeling up at the corners due to heat warping. It cracked my defroster vent and they had to replace it with a different vent cause the stock one would no longer fit. So...the heat isn't unbearable but if you don't properly protect the interior over time it will damage the car
Evilkosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote