Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I would still prefer manual even if it's slower.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
All of the cars you listed use much more sophisticated transmissions that shift incredibly fast and give (in most cases) complete gear-choice control to the driver. I'm not dogging on the auto, I just doubt it will be as fast on track as the manual. Nothing wrong with that.
You should read up on the new auto in the ZL1 its pretty sophisticated. I am not saying its as good as the PDK in a 911, but check it out for yourself its got some things up its sleeve.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's very hard to get road head with a manual :/. Though is managable.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
^ What he said.

Why would you spend all that money and get a manual? You are paying for speed, and it's slower.

no, he likes buying 500.00 tires....
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Tally Ho

Drives: 2006 Corvette conv/2007 Avalanche
This discussion runs rampant on the Corvette Forum as well. For me the answer for an auto is I plan to use this car as a DD. My commute to work has 12 traffic lights and 5 stop signs all within a 9 mile one way trip. The max speed limit on this commute is 45mph. It doesn't make sense to row through gears when I don't have to.

All other uses will be mostly interstate and there's not much of a reason to shift there unless you're constantly exiting and re-entering. I have no plans to autocross or drag race this car.

My Vette is an auto for the reasons above and with 540rwhp, I'm OK with it.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I am betting that average driver against average driver on any course, automatic will win.
Yeah, but when you cheat, did you really win?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
HKEY_
Banned

Drives: toyota 4x4 gsxr 1000 carrera s
manuals require more epeen than skill.
HKEY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
There isn't one right answer here. It's personal preference. Get what YOU like. Please don't put the other person down for their choice.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
mickey123456

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Get whatever you like! I personally have had an automatic SS, and now have a manual ZL1. There is no way I will ever go back to an automatic, unless it is an automated manual. For those of you that do not know the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, Porsches, and GTRs of the world are all automated manuals. Most are dual clutch. There is a HUGE difference between an automated manual and the automatic found in the ZL1. I have driven and driven in ferraris, lamborghinis, M3's, and I can say those transmissions are on a different level. They are telepathic in shift response, and they shift faster than you can blink. If you want instant response, and the excitement of a sports car, in a ZL1, get the manual. Don't think the automatic it is the same transmission as the PDK found in a porsche or dual clutch found in the 458, GTR, RS5, or M3. Just my two cents.
mickey123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey123456 View Post
Get whatever you like! I personally have had an automatic SS, and now have a manual ZL1. There is no way I will ever go back to an automatic, unless it is an automated manual. For those of you that do not know the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, Porsches, and GTRs of the world are all automated manuals. Most are dual clutch. There is a HUGE difference between an automated manual and the automatic found in the ZL1. I have driven and driven in ferraris, lamborghinis, M3's, and I can say those transmissions are on a different level. They are telepathic in shift response, and they shift faster than you can blink. If you want instant response, and the excitement of a sports car, in a ZL1, get the manual. Don't think the automatic it is the same transmission as the PDK found in a porsche or dual clutch found in the 458, GTR, RS5, or M3. Just my two cents.

Wow this sounds pretty advanced... It may not be the PDK, but I would say its at least as good as the M3

GM explains that the upgraded TapShift system released this year includes a software algorithm update that boosts tap response times by as much as 60 percent over the outgoing TapShift. This algorithm predicts shifts based upon the current gear, throttle, torque and speed. It then stages hydraulic pressure in the clutch for the next gear, reducing delay for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 up-shifts by 200-300 milliseconds.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
I'd get an Auto thats why My SS is an Automatic!

Wouldn't want to sit in DC traffic with a manual

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Manual is the only way to go in a sports car. Real sports cars are sticks end of story.
A ZL1 is a sports car. I don't understand the desire for an auto either, but some like the ease of operation, and all drivers can drive an auto.

Auto's are for convenience, and leisure. ZL1 auto is a performance designed auto that is faster only because it takes the skill out of shifting and makes it a program like a computer. Shift points are optimized for the driver in a clock like precision manner. To me, that takes half the fun out of the experience.

A driver skilled in manual transmission will be equivelent to the auto with an unskilled driver.
Also manual cars are lighter, so tend to be a little easier to handle.
Auto's have more torque multiplication, but that is usually offset by less gear ratio in a manual.
IMHO a manual car set up for the strip would have 4.10's not 3.73's anyway, so the manuals give up a bit of torque mult. set up from factory.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #27
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
There's a cadre of purists who believe the ONLY way to keep the "manual" transmission with foot operated clutch pedal ALIVE is to refuse automatics... w/o truly researching & driving the latest technologies. I've been driving a little bit of everything in these last 63 orbits around the sun. MOST of these cars were performance oriented vehicles with manual transmissions.

Of course, most of us don't have the option to compare a ZL1's Hydra-Matic to a Tremec prior to purchase. My TapShift is virtually instantaneous & UBERsmooth. The ONLY thing "lacking" is that often times pesky foot operated clutch pedal & frankly, I LOVE the ability to go either way depending on my mood or traffic conditions. Higher top ends & quicker times are a bonus. I'd swear my ZL1 is learning my habits & anticipating my next input. It's like some sort of A.I. at work. I can't wait until I hit 1.5K on the odometer. I'm giving it a rather thorough break-in... keeping it smooth & working my way up the various modes as the car learns my habits. The car was delivered perfect & each time I drive it, it just keeps getting better. The manual clutch experience is merely a fond memory, but times have changed & IMHO, the ZL1's automatic is a delight even on the twisties.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaro2011 View Post
Why would you want to have a sports car automatic?
Auto, cause im lazy and hate shifting in traffic ,,,,,,,I do enough shifting on my bike lolz!
Not to mention no gas guzzler in Canada !
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote