Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
typhoidfvr

Drives: 2010 2SS RS package Black on black
Wow... what a nightmare. They so should have made it a hard top conv. That would've been cool!
typhoidfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I hate this has happened and can't seem to be repaired to be fully acceptable to you and gm. I hope you and your dealer can come up with a way that will make you both happy.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
Good luck, Cactus. Thanks for posting on here what is happening with your vert.
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincoin View Post
I guess you should try to dump the car. It will most likely be a pain forever
Cactuseater has more patience than ANYONE I've ever heard of.
Pincoin, by now I would have left that car in North Philly with the keys in it and the engine running while I went in for a soda at 7-11.

GM is damn lucky the Camaro looks and runs as great as it does.
Otherwise, this would be as popular a car as the red-hot Chevy VOLT.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Careful what you wish for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidfvr View Post
Wow... what a nightmare. They so should have made it a hard top conv. That would've been cool!
I spent an hour test driving and operating the VW EOS hardtop convertible this week. Then, a couple of hours reading about that sexy Rube Goldberg roof on EOS Forums.

Raising and lowering the EOS top resembles the robot docking arm of the Space Shuttle, but to keep it from leaking, the gaskets are coated with a sealant that must be periodically renewed. No power washing and no aggressive detailing, or you'll strip off the sealant. Then there's the issue of the sensors and cables and little doors that must all operate in concert.

Seeing an EOS rolling down the highway with the roof halfway up is a hoot. It's horizontal to the road, so there's not much drag.

Makes the Camaro top troubles look like a walk in the park.
No consolation for us, but a reminder that there's always someone worse off.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
We got the car back from the dealer. Top of course is still an epic fail, waiting for a new top and mechanism, thus far all GM will do according to the dealer is a new canvas. We'll see. I am told I will receive a call when the parts come in to determine if this is what I want them to put on my car. Basically, I'll of course throw a fit at GM for not sending the mechanism, but again, they will sooner or later get it right or own the car. As far as the leak is concerned, haven't had time to water test it YET, but they did clean the entire carpet very well. The stains from the water leak are gone and hopefully will not return. Thus far, after 2 days, it does not retain the nasty smell as bad as before, but again, time will tell. We've only put a whopping 4K on the ODO since January 2012 when we bought it. That's an expensive garage queen if you ask me. Off to Las Vegas with the car tomorrow for two days. Top down cruising the strip at night is a must do.
just got back from vegas, you have NO idea how many camaro verts are cruising the strip... pretty sure they outnumbered the mustangs!

oh and welcome to the nightmare of owning a camaro vert. im in the same boat as you...
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
THE VERY REASON I BOUGHT A COUPE
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
THE VERY REASON I BOUGHT A COUPE
You were just tired of reading all of my complaints. We'll see how my 2013 performs... But I have my doubts.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
cactuseater

Drives: .
At the dealer now, first person I see is the service manager as I pull in. It seems that a new carpet kit has been ordered for my car. Great news, considering the leak I had. Stll stinks, the shampoo gig failed. Meanwhile, had a conversation with Detroit today about things, the result of which was the district rep getting involved. Thus the new carpet.... Anyhow, just had a chat with the G.M. of my dealership regarding all the issues, in person, better to put a face with the gig. I AM SITTING AT A TABLE AND IN FRONT OF ME IS THIS DAMNED YELLOW ZL1. I wish they wouldn't do that..... Anyhow, expressed my wishes yet again for a complete top/mechanism replacement. Wait and see is the deal right now.

Last edited by cactuseater; 09-28-2012 at 03:25 AM.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Our case # has been "escalated" supposedly, by the GM Customer Assistance folks, to where I have no idea. The car sits at the dealer now for it's 9th day on the water management system flooding and mildew/mold/interior damage issue alone. I am hoping the extra time needed is to replace the carpet and the rear seat cushion. Top #3 is on "order" although I've demanded an entire new mechanism and associated parts on the day we bought the car.

Yeah. Complete failure here. It took 4 new rotors, new front calipers, new brake pads, a new front windshield (the wrong glass was on the car - the HUD would not display!), a multitude of exterior trim work, a full paint restoration, a visit to the body shop, two convertible tops (#3 pending on order...), and a set of 4 wheels (paint peeling off the original set...still pending "approval"), top latch re-attached twice, rear view mirror fell off the windshield - on the lot - on delivery day. What a great 172 point inspection. The list goes on, there is more.

I've been nice, but I'll tell you my patience is wearing very, very thin on this car. We are both so sick of hearing apologies without substance. My wife and I are beyond fed up. At least my 2011 2SS/RS Coupe is running good. But this thing is a nightmare. I feel with you guys that are paying for these cars monthly and cannot drive them or operate them as they were advertised to perform. It would be nice to have a correctly operating, aesthetically correct fitment, and properly performing roof over your head. Makes you feel backed-up against a wall having to deal with this crap every day.

Sorry for the vent, but it's been a a real slice of heaven with this car lately.

Let's see what Monday brings....
I also had a major water leak, rear passenger floor had a large puddle, and my dealer put in a new water bag and it still had the leak so they kept the car and finally discovered that there were 2 body seams that had not been sealed so my car was in the shop for 10 days while they fixed it. Good luck with your car.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #25
themoneypit

well, i dropped mine off friday, and they are supposedly going to replace the entire top assembly, the defective paint on the quarter, and a few other issues that have arisen in the whopping 2833 miles it has on it now.

the loaner that i demanded, and got, is a 2012 v6 a/t camaro vert, built 04/12, and has the newer designed top. it has over twice the mileage as mine, and not a single mark, or pinch anywhere. so this just helps me re-iterate to them the reason i want the entire thing replaced. they told me the new top was already on order when i dropped it off, but i doubt that...

so im taking a ride there this morning, with part number in hand, for the complete new assembly. im going to have them check and confirm that it is indeed on order, and that its the whole assembly.

i wouldve went back friday, but it was late, and by the time enterprise got me all set and into the loaner, i just headed home. i dont know how they think they are saving money by replacing the fabric 2, 3, 4 times on these, its gotta be cheaper to just replace the whole assembly, and get a happy customer in the end... just my $.02

good luck with yours!! if you continue to stay on them, and demand the whole assembly, i think youll get it. i told GM cust serv that this is their last chance to make it right or they will be buying it back, not replacing it. i said if they just change the top fabric, and the marks start again, im contacting BBB and pursuing the lemon law. i think that helped me when i told them that.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
themoneypit

i stopped by the dealer today to grab something out of my car (ez pass), and went in and spoke to the service guy, and asked him to verify that a new top assembly was indeed on order for my car. he checked and came back with a paper that stated there is a new re-design in the works and due out soon by GM, but they arent available to order as of yet. the part number ended in 088, was all i could see LOL.

in the meantime, he said they will get all the other issues fixed, and if they still cant order it, then ill get my car back and have to wait until they are available. to bad the top on my rental is tan or id ask them to swap the two cuz theres no marks at all on that one... LMAO.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Face it, GM can't and hasn't for 2 decades, built a convertible that works. Seems they are the only manufacturer that can't. And what is it we hear, that they only hire the best engineers, with the best grades? What a joke that is!
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
And what is it we hear, that they only hire the best engineers, with the best grades? What a joke that is!
Got a chuckle out of this one.

I had my "meeting' with the district manager and the GM engineer. Well I checked on the background of said "engineer" (I would have checked before the meeting, but they never gave me any info on him). According to my research, he has a high school diploma.........

Um yeah, that's it. He worked at a VW dealership for 17 years (top title " Shop Foreman"). The only other education was something called "Today's Tec" (http://www.todaystec.com/) from 2009-2010 and after that he started working for GM (but as some sort of sub from Hewlett Packard).

Call him a technician if you like, but an engineer?

This is the kind of lip service you get from GM. Engineer my ass. Sure he seemed like a nice enough guy, but to label him an engineer is just folly. GM loves to just throw around all kinds of labels and titles. But I would consider this to be a misrepresentation of the highest kind.

"Baffle them with bullshit" appears to be their motto.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote