Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
fig88

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapote21 View Post
All I have to say is I love FL... Radar detectors, legal...Tint, legal... Front plate, not required... Driving around with colored halos (except red and blue), legal... Emissions testing, nope... Heaven? possibly...
I was pulled over for green halos. No ticket but the Cop told me only white was allowed and asked me to turn them off. I guess i'll have to look into that one. Everything else i can agree on
fig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
It's evidence of a crime, they can take it if they can see it. Don't need your permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACamaro View Post
I would partially disagree with this statement ... it is "plausible" that a radar detector is for awareness. If it goes off, you check your speed to insure that you are not over the speed limit (or speed you care to chance) to be sure you didn't slip up an coast over the speed and set yourself up for a ticket. I've been lucky a couple of times and wish I had that warning even though I was intending to be at a steady 5 over ... luck has been with me so far..
I bought one years ago because I have a lead foot, even when I had my Prius. Mine have saved my ass many times. I do take it down when in VA. I forgot in DC but didn't get caught.

It's simple, I have a speeding problem.
Software Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster127 View Post
actually by law they are not allowed to go in your vehicle without your permission or a warrant, or reasonable doubt of drugs and stuff: (search and seizure laws)....

All they can do is FINE you and just give u awesome tickets.
If they physically take it from you then you an go to court and try to fight it...
Might as well just have it turned off.

you have no clue
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACamaro View Post
I would partially disagree with this statement ... it is "plausible" that a radar detector is for awareness. If it goes off, you check your speed to insure that you are not over the speed limit (or speed you care to chance) to be sure you didn't slip up an coast over the speed and set yourself up for a ticket. I've been lucky a couple of times and wish I had that warning even though I was intending to be at a steady 5 over ... luck has been with me so far..

I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to have the radar detector in the passenger compartment in Virginia, put it in the trunk to be safe.

and for nickster, they are illegal in VA, if they see it in the car, that's enough, I think its likely to be gone.
But your Camaro has a Speed warning setting that you can set at 5 over and will warn you if you go over. So you don't need one in your Camaro for that purpose.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #20
thagSS

Drives: 2013 SW Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapote21 View Post
All I have to say is I love FL... Radar detectors, legal...Tint, legal... Front plate, not required... Driving around with colored halos (except red and blue), legal... Emissions testing, nope... Heaven? possibly...
lol Michigan too, but we have snow, so not heaven
Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #21
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellojacket View Post
Coming from someone who used to live in Virginia and DID get stopped with my radar detector.. YES they did take it. Even when I saw the lights come on I pulled it off the window and hid it in the door pocket. First words out of his mouth...after license and registration was "where is your radar detector" they do have radar detectors detectors and USE them If you don't wanna lose your Passport don't use in til you cross outta the state border.
Do they make a radar detector detector detector?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #22

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Yeah, but if you get caught with an RDDD, they really throw the book at you...Some traffic units carry a Radar Detector Detector Detector Detector (RDDDD), so be careful....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #23
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
But your Camaro has a Speed warning setting that you can set at 5 over and will warn you if you go over. So you don't need one in your Camaro for that purpose.
That's what I use. Mines set at 75. Most Ct Interstates have a 65 mph limit.
But I find that if I have my radio cranked up it's almost impossible to hear.
LEOs here will generally give you 10 over.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #24
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
Why does Virginia have such strict driving laws? From insane speeding tickets to possible jail time to laws preventing radar detectors, talk about a big brother state. I'll never be going there.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #25
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
If they catch you in Virginia...

If
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #26
zissophiss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
Why does Virginia have such strict driving laws? From insane speeding tickets to possible jail time to laws preventing radar detectors, talk about a big brother state. I'll never be going there.
I hear you brother. My wife's parents live there unfortunately so not going there is not an option for me. LOL.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

zissophiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #27
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Yes they do. It's called VG-2 Alert. Most detectors have it. So, you have a detector in your car. The cops hit you with their detector detector (Called VG-2) and your detector goes off screaming "VG-2 Alert!!!" ... Even cheap detectors have it. I kid you not! Most all detectors are now immune to VG-2.

The cops probably have something new by now.. I haven't kept up on it, so I don't know for sure.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #28
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
dah.....That's because the only reason to own one is to break the law.
Mostly, yes you are correct. But very few people drive the speed limit 100% of the time. On just about every highway with a 70mph limit, traffic moves at about 75mph. A detector is just some additional insurance. Especially if you live in an area where they like to set up speed traps.

I have a Valentine, which is a top of the line detector. I am not a speeder, but once you know how radar works... well, you might see a need for a nice detector.

Police radar cannot positively identify an individual target. So, let's say you are on a 4-lane highway going 73mph. There are cars in every lane and the limit is 70mph. One guy is doing 80mph. You all crest a hill at the same time. The policeman's radar gun reads out 80... but it doesn't tell him which car is speeding. He is supposed to be trained to pick out the speeder by eye.

Who do you think he will pull over? The older 4-door Mercedes, the VW Golf, the Chevy Pickup or the bright red SS Camaro with wide tires and a loud exhaust?

Chevy does call it "Pull Me Over Red"... If he picks you, it's your word against his.

It's nice to get a little warning that radar is hiding over the next hill or around the next corner.