Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I wonder if I'll ever learn clicking on the thumbnail pic of people's Camaro's in their post doesn't bring up a bigger picture of their car
Some of the coding in the forum template could be improved like that example. And a thumbs up or Like or Dislike option on posts.
I doubt this forum had it's own coding. Usually you can get a free or low cost app for starting forum, e.g. is this V- something?
Edit: I see on the bottom of the html page -Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4 Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

To the OP, no, need to find or buy a cheap reader. OBDII blue tooth dongle to smart phone or ipad or pc is cheap enough if you have a serious interest in what is wrong and might fix it yourself. Free to get a oil change place or parts sales who offer free code reading.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I know the OBD1's had a special trick: Applies to all of the big 3. turn key on,off,on,off,on , check engine light would flash the code. any manual would have a list of the code it flashes.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
That was an old-school OBD1 method that died off in the 90s for GM isn't it?

I would recommend any owner of cars nowadays to spend a few bucks to buy a code reader. There's so many cheap ones nowadays, even ones that just bluetooth to your phone for $10.
Agreed bought a inexpensive one for just that reason.
Did wonder of anyone had tried that trick lately? Had heard it still works but haven't tried it in years. Scanners are so readily available anymore.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #18
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
I know the OBD1's had a special trick: Applies to all of the big 3. turn key on,off,on,off,on , check engine light would flash the code. any manual would have a list of the code it flashes.
Things were simpler then.

There are hundreds of codes and parameters on the OBDII port. Some are standardized and others are unique to the manufacturer.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #19
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Big thing to keep in mind that the cheap Bluetooth adapter and even some handheld tuners work great for simple codes but won't give you other information you might need. I had a misfire but no codes and it wasn't until my mechanic hooked up his snap-on diagnostic tool that we could see in real time which cylinder was misfiring. On top of that it showed my AFM being disabled and a bunch of other history you just can't get with the Torque app. Just fyi.