Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaler View Post
I will throw the VVT-3 cam in as an option, but does require a converter. It makes good power and backs it up at the track.
I second that.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln361 View Post
What kind of numbers were up putting up with this setup?
When you say "numbers" are you referring to HP or track times? Unfortunately all I have to go on right now is the information I've gathered from other Camaro owners who have used this cam. All good information and numbers. My car will be finished at the end of the week and tuned. So I'll be posting the numbers. I'm hoping for mid 400's at the wheels. We'll see soon enough. I have several other mods too though so depending on what you plan on doing the final results could be different for you. I'll post more after the tune.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
John@AutoAgenda

Drives: 2004 GTO
Make sure you don't just grab some sort of off the shelf low end converter or you are going to hate the way your car performs. Make sure you contact a reputable manufacturer who is going to take the specs on your cam as well as your gear ratio and get you the proper converter, and have your trans tuned for it as well.

I had my trans built by one of the top 4L60 builders around and he spec'ed me the right converter which has a 3,600 stall in it and just about anyone who drives it always say how close to stock it drives even with the bigger converter.

If you are looking for more sound more then anything then it's all in the lsa of the cam and the tuner, and a good tuner can make even a smaller cam with the right lsa sound really healthy. As long as you don't go with a higher duration cam you can easily keep your stock gearing and have awesome drive ability without any sort of bucking that can come with an auto car and larger cam.

There are tons of options out there and many great vendors here who can hook you up.
John@AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #18
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
I've been wanting to ask this...
What happens if you don't put a converter in with a bigger cam?
What if you just do gears and a good tune?
Also, I've noticed some import guys making way more power on regular cams than the "FI" cams sold in that market when doing turbo. I think most of that has to do with variable cam timing, but just wondering if anybody put in a big-lift cam and then did turbo after?
The VVT-3 cam looks like a winner for guys who don't want to do an LS-3 conversion, but the fact they say it needs a converter worries me. I'd rather bite the bullet on gears myself.
Hopefully this is enough on topic to explore guys...
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Give the guys over at East Coast Supercharging a call, theyve got some real nice NA and FI cams to choose from, all with a proven track record!
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote