Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Shoot for the stars

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I must agree with the 2nd poster of this thread. GM is not going to release a z-28 that can't go toe to toe right out of the box with the GT500. No way, no how. The car would get punished in all the reviews for being 'inferior' to its (as of now) rival car.

You may like the idea of buying a car that can handle great, and is strong enough (internals wise) to handle whatever engine upgrades you want to throw at it.

But honestly, the majority of people don't want to have to buy a car and then add upgrades just to make it as fast as the car its meant to compete with anyways. Most people want it fast from the get go...and as far as handling, you can bet it will handle better than the SS....it has to and GM knows that.

So whether you like it or not, supercharged or turboed...GM will do what they must to get the magical 500 to 550 or more horses the Z-28 needs from the factory.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I must agree with the 2nd poster of this thread. GM is not going to release a z-28 that can't go toe to toe right out of the box with the GT500. No way, no how. The car would get punished in all the reviews for being 'inferior' to its (as of now) rival car.

You may like the idea of buying a car that can handle great, and is strong enough (internals wise) to handle whatever engine upgrades you want to throw at it.

But honestly, the majority of people don't want to have to buy a car and then add upgrades just to make it as fast as the car its meant to compete with anyways. Most people want it fast from the get go...and as far as handling, you can bet it will handle better than the SS....it has to and GM knows that.

So whether you like it or not, supercharged or turboed...GM will do what they must to get the magical 500 to 550 or more horses the Z-28 needs from the factory.

I have a question.... Who said the Z/28 is competing against the GT500?
Maybe there is more than one car on its way....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I have a question.... Who said the Z/28 is competing against the GT500? Maybe there is more than on car on its way....
Good point - no one; but what is the competition then? Mustang GT? SS already does that. The 1LT and 2LT are not competition for the GT (no disrespect ). Let's be fair - SS is not competition for the GT500. Anyone (and I'm not suggesting you ) thinking that it's only like two or three tenths off in the 1320' is not in reality nor have they seen representative runs from a 500.

Having said that, that's how I justify Z28 competing with the GT500. That's just me though

Though I'd love to see another major model (not some simple trim level upgrade or change), I don't really think it would happen. That's not to say that I'm not hoping it will. I just want something that will completely humble a GT500 or SRT8 Challey'

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Good point - no one; but what is the competition then? Mustang GT? SS already does that.
Will the current SS be able to keep up with a new more powerfull Mustang GT? Or will we need something to fill the gap until a newer SS comes out?

Last edited by ShnOmac; 10-22-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
I think GM will do a big mistake if they supercharged the Z28. From what i see, a lot of people looking for not expensive, tunable and upgradable cars rather than expensive, pushed to the limit cars (no room fr cosmetic upgrades). Also a lot of people favor turbochargers over superchargers. what I think GM should do for the Z28 is the following:
  1. forged engine internals (pistons, crank,...)
  2. stronger tranny and upgraded torque converter.
  3. better gear ratios.
  4. better suspension.
  5. touchup for the exterior.
  6. Thats it!

by this, the Z28 will not be more expensive than the SS but it has the ability to reach or exceed 700 hp safely (either way: turbocharged or supercharged). As for the exterior i don't mined a different style from the SS, I like different trims to be distinguished from the first look.
A couple of things:

1 Everything on you list is big bucks. So pay more money but only get better handling and the POTENTIAL to upgrade the HP if you want. Why make the people who won't or don't want to upgrade pay for a heavier, more expensive transmission and upgraded forged internals.

Also, curious as to why you say most prefer turbo over super charging. I'd take a supercharger 9 ways to Sunday. Turbo only matters if you want an engine that gets good fuel economy but when you use your right foot you get HP. I would prefer the low end torque of the supercharger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
I don't care what engine they put in it as long as it's the LS9!
Cha Chinnnggggggggg!!!!!

Quote:
My check book cares........ That would be one freckin expensive Camaro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Shoot for the stars
And you can break Shnomac's checkbook.

Quote:
Will the SS be able to keep up with a new more powerfull Mustang GT? Or will we need something to fill the gap until a newer SS comes out?
That is a gooooood question........hmmmmmmm
Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I thought so..... Care to discuss?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Maybe over a beer over at Shno's House of Z.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #23
ShnOmac

Quote:
Maybe over a beer over at Shno's House of Z.
What kind of beer you want?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #25
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Hmmmm whats that smile about........
Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
ShnOmac

Quote:

Still waiting......

Last edited by ShnOmac; 10-23-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Sorry, I wish I had some kind of information. I was just thinking that it has been a very long time since GM was beat by Ford in the hp war and there is plenty of things they can do next year to keep the 2011 mustang in the rear view mirror. I don't mean the z28 either, I mean it wouldn't take much more power from the SS to stay ahead of the Mustang GT and IMO GM will do what it takes to do so. I hope I am right and they bump the power to stay on top.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Sorry, I wish I had some kind of information. I was just thinking that it has been a very long time since GM was beat by Ford in the hp war and there is plenty of things they can do next year to keep the 2011 mustang in the rear view mirror. I don't mean the z28 either, I mean it wouldn't take much more power from the SS to stay ahead of the Mustang GT and IMO GM will do what it takes to do so. I hope I am right and they bump the power to stay on top.
I think its going to take more then just a bump in power.... Gonna have to do something about the understeer if they dont want to be ripped by the Auto press and challenged at the track. JMHO

This is so much fun.... I am so glad the pony wars are back!

Last edited by ShnOmac; 10-23-2009 at 04:34 PM.