Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-30-2022, 10:24 AM   #15
Junker80

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
A mentally unstable guy hit my dad's mazda 6 and a couple of other cars. They totalled it out at $12k. I wanted the mazda, so the insurance company took the estimated auction price of $1550 out of the check they had to cut him for a replacement. And that's what I paid for it.
Junker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #16
Kyletech

Drives: 2015 Green Flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I've done the buyback a few times and I'd say no. I doubt I'll do that again.
There can be damage you can't see and it's all on your $ and hassle to repair.
The repairs are another whole chapter. Finding good bodywork is hard and expensive.
If you didn't know they also like to lowball the repair estimate then keep adding $$ to the bill for "hidden damage". When you are thinking it will only cost $ to repair it the final total you pay is $$$
The quality of repairs I've had were lacking. Parts under the bodywork remained damaged and e.g. metal lines were left rubbing against something sharp that was bent and later rubbed a hole in the line. When it's an AC line that's a pain in the butt for sure. Another car had annoying rattles, and you take years frustrated with that until you find the missing fasteners here and there.

The paint wasn't up to factory. It either mismatched in some cases or chipped off easily or faded in other cases. The repair shop usually doesn't care about that, they will brush you off once they get you out the door. It is nothing like how the original warranty process with the dealer goes.

Even a simple door repair someone did on my Camaro before I got it looked good until the clear coat is now yellowing and I'm stuck with that...
I think we have decided the only way we are going to by it back is if it is dirt cheap and that will be to just part it out but it would have to be silly cheap to buy back at this point! Thants for your story!
Kyletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #17
Kyletech

Drives: 2015 Green Flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker80 View Post
A mentally unstable guy hit my dad's mazda 6 and a couple of other cars. They totalled it out at $12k. I wanted the mazda, so the insurance company took the estimated auction price of $1550 out of the check they had to cut him for a replacement. And that's what I paid for it.
For that price I would part the car out the L99 and trans with around 20,000 miles would be worth that.
Kyletech is offline   Reply With Quote