Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Rich1

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Camaro Hot Red
I just had my care tuned and the tuner tuned the shifts on my A6 to shift much faster with absolutely no hesitation. There is a big difference especially when I really get on it.
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
These are not automatic transmissions like the Camaro. These are true high performance transmissions. All the Camaro does is move the electronic shift function from the shifter to the steering wheel. It cannot be compared to a tiptronic shifter anymore than a paddle to a 300 hp outboard engine.
The Camaro clearly lacks the engineering refinement and tuning since its meant for everyday use and reliability instead of maximum performance but its not as dramatically different as you portray.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I could not disagree more. The manual transmission is a relic of days gone by. Computers can shift faster and more reliably than any human can, that is why virtually all truly high performance applications have taken the physical act of shifting out of the human's hands and in many cases have replaced the stick and clutch with paddles. Look at just about any super car and you will notice almost none have a stick these days. The same is true for F1, WRC, and many other racing cars.
I disagree with your disagree. Automatics have become popular the way they have because the world is becoming increasingly more lazy and dependent on things to do the work for them. I mean, with a manual how you can you possible check your text messages, while talking to someone on voice, and surfing the net while driving.

I've looked at a lot of race cars, whether that be drag, lap, or Nascar style circular track cars and they've sported manuals. The fact is no, a computer can't judge what's best for a driver. Same reason there's a stick/pedals in the cockpit of a fighter jet because the pilot (or driver in our case) needs to have that control to determine what to do. Drivers on a track can downshift, or mess with their RPM's to take advantage of a gap with someone they're up against.

There's only one reason automatics are as popular as they are now... and it has nothing to do with performance or control. It's lack thereof (giving control away).

I missed my manuals and I knew NO MATTER WHAT I was getting a manual when I bought this car. If I can have my way, I'll have a manual for the rest of my life.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
If i didnt know how to drive a manual or HAD to get an auto then the Camaro is about the best a person could ever hope for. Having the buttons there is far better than not but it sure feels more manly and cool to have a clutch and stick in a muscle car.

Really i know some auto's now are actually faster in drag races and even get better mileage but it also seems cheap to me lol. Also theres the whole thing that you have to have both hands on the wheel at a pretty precise position to use the buttons which i would kinda find annoying (I understand manual is technically the same thing but again i dont care lol).
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurushio View Post
Yes that is mostly true but if you ask more race car drivers what they would prefer it would probably be a regular manual again.
Can you provide a link to this poll? Or is it just what you believe to be true?
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Kurushio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
Can you provide a link to this poll? Or is it just what you believe to be true?
I have nothing but can you prove ME wrong lol. How about drift cars. Are there any autos in drifting? I guess there could be but they would probably get laughed at by the competition and fans unless they did awesome.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #21
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurushio View Post
I have nothing but can you prove ME wrong lol. How about drift cars. Are there any autos in drifting? I guess there could be but they would probably get laughed at by the competition and fans unless they did awesome.
I can't prove a preference either way. I also did not make the statement, you did. So I'm assuming it's just wishful thinking on your part.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
Kurushio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
I can't prove a preference either way. I also did not make the statement, you did. So I'm assuming it's just wishful thinking on your part.
If i could wish for stuff it would be that lol. I would just think that pro racers would prefer to have the most control possible when they drive a fast car and yes i know auto's are much much better (ive stated that before) but there is just something more primal and interesting with a manual.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
I would prefer it to be a slap shifter (left or right on the shifter), but since I come from a drag racing background, there is no way i would have considered a manual transmission. No driver can consistently outshift a computer. Yes, you'll shift that perfect run every now and again...but the computer will shift consistently, and when bracket racing, that is what you need. Of course, I realize that most people don't race like I do, so that had no bearing on their decision. That's just why I wanted an auto.....I knew THIS Gen 5 Camaro would make it to the strip more than once....LOL
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I love how people try to compare the paddle shifters in our camaros to a high end sports car with paddle shifters. The only thing the same is the shifters are on the wheel. Everything else is vastly different. Their transmissions are really clutchless manuals.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #25
Kurushio

Maybe i view the manual vs auto as the sword vs the gun. Yes i know the gun was better and only got better but there is a certain honor in using the sword and its not just the fastest person on the trigger that wins but the person with the best technique.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
yeah but you bring a sword to a gun fight, and you get KILLED.

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I could not disagree more. The manual transmission is a relic of days gone by. Computers can shift faster and more reliably than any human can, that is why virtually all truly high performance applications have taken the physical act of shifting out of the human's hands and in many cases have replaced the stick and clutch with paddles. Look at just about any super car and you will notice almost none have a stick these days. The same is true for F1, WRC, and many other racing cars.
Ahhhhhh, but still you DRIVE a Manual, and RIDE IN an automatic. Keep the 2/10's of a second and I will keep the enjoyment of being one with my machine!

I agree with you on the performance level, but auto's make me want to sleep. May as well steer for you as well so I can at least catch some sleep........ otherwise let me DIRVE!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Your totally missing the point. Modern Automatics have come a long way for sure but will never beat the driving experience of a manual ever.