Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Is everyone aware the deceleration "popping" can be completely removed with a tune? When I had some work done to my 2010 Camaro the shop asked if I liked it or wanted rid of it. I decided to get rid of it and it was 100% gone after they retuned the car.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #16
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Is everyone aware the deceleration "popping" can be completely removed with a tune? When I had some work done to my 2010 Camaro the shop asked if I liked it or wanted rid of it. I decided to get rid of it and it was 100% gone after they retuned the car.
WOW...missed the point completely...
Old 10-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #17
CALLAWAY11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Callaway
I had over 700 rwhp and never had that pop on mine and wondered why. I had my car tuned by a different shop and now it crackles out of control. It kind of sounds like popcorn popping but just really huge kernels. I love it, it actually sounds like a different car. I'll decelerate past cars and I can only imagine, it probable startles them.
2011 Callaway SC572 2SS/RS, TVS 2300 Supercharger, 1-7/8" Kooks LT Headers, Fast 85# injectors, E85 Flex Fuel Conversion, Fore Twin Fuel Pumps, MGW flat stick short throw shifter, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, Liberty Gears Tremec trans, DSS 1000 hp axles, Nitto NT555r drag radials, 10#'s of boost, 702 rwhp/ 697 torque, Recaro seat upgrade
CALLAWAY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #18
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
I really like the snap, crackle, pop. I would never tune it out!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:56 AM   #19
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
While it is a personal preference, I had the deceleration pop tuned out. I think it sounds more like a muscle car than a ricer when the sound is less poppy.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Exactly. A properly tuned car never pops once. Proper AFR in all conditions never sends raw fuel out the pipe to backfire.

In an LS motor, it's done through the decel fuel cutoff. For mpgs, the stock tune cuts fuel on decl. No longer in the range for proper combustion, that little bit of fuel combusts in the pipes instead of the motor. If you properly tune decel, you'll get proper combustion on decel.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Yea not sure why many people don't like this. One of the best things about the exhaust. Have you guys heard the Huracan pop and crackle?? Pretty much every time you let off the gas it's amazing.
Around here, most every time I hear a V8 either accelerating or decelerating it turns out to be a truck with aftermarket exhaust work or a Mustang with Flowmasters, and the last thing I want to do is make my car sound like those.

A true flat-plane V8 sound, like in the Ferrari F430 . . . yeah, I'd take that in a heartbeat, decel pops and crackles included.

Norm
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #22
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Around here, most every time I hear a V8 either accelerating or decelerating it turns out to be a truck with aftermarket exhaust work or a Mustang with Flowmasters, and the last thing I want to do is make my car sound like those.

A true flat-plane V8 sound, like in the Ferrari F430 . . . yeah, I'd take that in a heartbeat, decel pops and crackles included.

Norm
Yea but I've never heard a truck crackle and pop how exactly do our Camaros sound like them lol?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #23
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
Yea, when Ford introduced the flat plane 5.0 to the Shelby the commentators of the race remarked how nice it sounded. But the Stevenson Z/28s still kicked their ass.

Subsequently, more restrictions were placed on the Camaros.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

FWIW, Ford intentionally gave the Voodoo a different and non-traditional firing order for a flat-plane V8. So I don't quite consider that engine in stock trim to be a true flat-plane in the overall sense. It gets a whole lot better with 4 into 1 headers, but it does take more than just exhaust sound to win races.

It's a shame what seems to be happening to the Z/28R's now . . . money and racing politics, I guess.

Norm
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #25
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I love it.....I love the exhaust pop after decel. I love exhaust fire!!!!!!!....well maybe not on my own car but I love it.....lol!!!!!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Exactly. A properly tuned car never pops once. Proper AFR in all conditions never sends raw fuel out the pipe to backfire.

In an LS motor, it's done through the decel fuel cutoff. For mpgs, the stock tune cuts fuel on decl. No longer in the range for proper combustion, that little bit of fuel combusts in the pipes instead of the motor. If you properly tune decel, you'll get proper combustion on decel.
So All the race cars of the world are improperly tuned . Righttttttttttt . Most race care make a lot of very cool nasty noises on decel
Old 10-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #27
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
When I put headers on the popping got a little louder, but when I had my supercharger installed it was out of control. It sounded like a gunshot when I let off the gas to shift. I went back to my turner and he toned it down a little, but said he couldn't get rid of it or my cats would be damaged.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #28
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
So All the race cars of the world are improperly tuned . Righttttttttttt . Most race care make a lot of very cool nasty noises on decel
They're properly tuned for their intended functions only. Not for good closed throttle/light throttle/idling, and they make those noises because they aren't tuned to be a whole lot better-behaved on decel than what's necessary to make sure they stay running.

Norm