Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Strokedhog

Drives: 2010 2SS M6 Black
Dont mix fluids. Dot 3, 4, and 5 are not compatible. A total flush and new fluids is ok. Also stop launching at redline.
Strokedhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Corvette's have been dealing with this forever.

The Camaro complicates it further by sharing the brake and clutch resevoir.

I'm going to add a separate clutch resevoir, and use a syringe to change the fluid regulary.

It's a good damn thing I really like this car.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Update: The dealership initially suspected a hydraulic issue (as did I), but they claim that they looked over the entire system and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. They decided to replace the clutch and the flywheel. They ordered the parts and gave me the car back while I wait. Although I appreciate the prompt attention to the issue, I fear that if it's an issue as straightforward as boiling fluid as suggested by some here that I will have the same issue with another clutch. I'll update again once the work is done to say whether or not it is fixed.

To those referring to driving habits, etc...your posts are accurate, no argument there, but this is my fourth manual-transmission Camaro. My '91 Camaro has more than 200,000 miles on its STOCK clutch. That would not be the case if my driving habits were unusually bad for a clutch. Hell, at 4900 miles, I don't care what someone's driving habits are (within reason obviously), this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsec View Post
Please keep us updated on your progress. I have been fighting the same problem and I also had the clutch hang up half way engaged during a moderate takeoff switching from 1st to 2nd. It wouldn't go back down, ended up getting my foot under it and was able to pop it up. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. I will be very interested to see what you find out.
There is a service bulletin for your exact symptoms, and a GM engineer is looking for cars experiencing this problem so that they can determine a fix. I strongly encourage you to visit your dealer so that they can, if nothing else, record another instance of the problem and advise the engineer.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BQIK View Post
Update: The dealership initially suspected a hydraulic issue (as did I), but they claim that they looked over the entire system and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. They decided to replace the clutch and the flywheel. They ordered the parts and gave me the car back while I wait. Although I appreciate the prompt attention to the issue, I fear that if it's an issue as straightforward as boiling fluid as suggested by some here that I will have the same issue with another clutch. I'll update again once the work is done to say whether or not it is fixed.

To those referring to driving habits, etc...your posts are accurate, no argument there, but this is my fourth manual-transmission Camaro. My '91 Camaro has more than 200,000 miles on its STOCK clutch. That would not be the case if my driving habits were unusually bad for a clutch. Hell, at 4900 miles, I don't care what someone's driving habits are (within reason obviously), this shouldn't be an issue.
Thank you for the update... I agree 100% that 4,900 miles is too soon for these problems to be related to driving habits, unless the driver should never be allowed behind the wheel... good Luck With the repairs..

I'm wanting to get back home and see if the dealer tech's can figure out whats wrong with my transmission... Different symptoms... but another thread...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
Farks Supercars

Drives: F1R 2010 Camaro
Yea definitely do not launch at redline and never ease up the clutch if you are leaving at high rpm's just pop it fast and quick. I saw a guy drag racing his Camaro this summer, he reved the hell out of it on the line and slowly eased out the clutch. The smell was bad (it made me cringe a little). Plus your better off bogging the engine a little if you have street tires.
Farks Supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #21
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
So is the problem the slave cylinder or the brake fluid itself?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #22
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
Mine was doing the same thing... I had some parts on order and installed last night we replaced slave cylinder pressure plate and started bleeding the system and mine is good as new no more two inches fromt the top to take off!!!
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #23
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I did the separate clutch reservoir a long time ago for two reasons one to go to a DOT4 in the clutch reservoir, The 2nd reasons is the clutch reservoir cap is airtight and the one on top of the brake reservoir is not.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #24
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Any DIY threads on this mod? it sounds like a good idea...

thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Never did a DIY but all the info is in this Thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...utch+reservoir

And some one more.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31901
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Thanks, I'll look through it
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
Recluse

Drives: Considering a Camaro
Does the Camaro have a clutch delay valve, to prevent rapid engagement of the clutch to reduce shock to the drivetrain components (at the expense of the clutch itself)?

I ask because this issue sounds similar to the CDV-related issues that, for example, G35, S2000, and BMW 335i owners have had, as regards the burning smell, pedal getting stuck, etc.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #28
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
I did the separate clutch reservoir a long time ago for two reasons one to go to a DOT4 in the clutch reservoir, The 2nd reasons is the clutch reservoir cap is airtight and the one on top of the brake reservoir is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Never did a DIY but all the info is in this Thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...utch+reservoir

And some one more.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31901

This is the HOT ticket.

xxx Do it!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote