Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
My 4th gen vert would have made it move around like a dashboard hula dancer

lib·er·ty
/ˈlibərdē/
noun
the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That video is quite revealing...
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
There is no doubt the previous generations needed some assistance. But the Gen 5 is vastly superior

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
There is no doubt the previous generations needed some assistance. But the Gen 5 is vastly superior
That may be true, but you have to agree that there is room for improvement.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
That may be true, but you have to agree that there is room for improvement.

-Funk
That video was pretty graphic, IMHO.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
I believe I see two things here:

1. JusticePete I dont think you make a point either way regarding a chassis brace. The stock OE camaro can pull over 1G, so. How does that translate into any sort of arguement for a chassis brace? If you had one how much better could you have done?

2. Pfadt is that really chassis flexion or is it a brace anchored at two points with the other two free to vibrate move around? I dont see that as flexion I see that as vibration.

I am not sure if what I am trying to iterate is coming across as I am not elequont enough but I believe I see what both manufacturers are saying I am curious as to their individual takes.

Also in regard to a brace if you have a U shaped item doenst it make sense to complete the circle with a brace making it that much stronger/better?

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
I believe I see two things here:

1. JusticePete I dont think you make a point either way regarding a chassis brace. The stock OE camaro can pull over 1G, so. How does that translate into any sort of arguement for a chassis brace? If you had one how much better could you have done?

2. Pfadt is that really chassis flexion or is it a brace anchored at two points with the other two free to vibrate move around? I dont see that as flexion I see that as vibration.

I am not sure if what I am trying to iterate is coming across as I am not elequont enough but I believe I see what both manufacturers are saying I am curious as to their individual takes.

Also in regard to a brace if you have a U shaped item doenst it make sense to complete the circle with a brace making it that much stronger/better?

Cheers
K
You bring up interesting points

1) I believe Pedders' stance is more about leaning toward making a street car as good as it can be before crossing the line and making it into a race car. It seems to me Pfadt is more race oriented, however, do not give up on making sure the car doesn't get so bad one wouldn't enjoy driving it on the street. Both have demonstrated they aren't going to make products they don't think will bare any improvement in performance; this specific product is a good example for Pedders, and the SFCs are a good example for Pfadt (Pedders doesn't make SFCs either). I won't comment on how much better it could be because I think than can just fuel a debate that will never have a clear winner, since they don't produce one.

2) It's, again, my opinion that maybe it seemed less like flex because they didn't have access to a good course, instead of just a parking lot. I bet if they could sustain higher Gs, for longer, it would've proven their point better. I believe I'd want to keep all that movement to a minimum, regardless, though.

I LOVE products from both of these companies and love reading what their engineering/thought processes are regarding why they do what they end up doing
Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #23
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Thank you radz! I was hoping something somewhat intelligent came out of what I was trying to say!

I agree I enjoy reading both insight from each company as suspension is what I am reaching for slowly but surely.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Thank you radz! I was hoping something somewhat intelligent came out of what I was trying to say!

I agree I enjoy reading both insight from each company as suspension is what I am reaching for slowly but surely.
Cheers
K
You came across clearer than I do
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
..........If you had one how much better could you have done?

K
That's a good question

In my opinion, stiffeners are a carry-over from previous generations, and folks assume if it was good then it must be good now. This new monocoque was designed from day one with stiffness as a top priority. THAT'S why the engineers wouldn't budge on the 'B' pillar.

The vert, may be a different story, we'll see.

lib·er·ty
/ˈlibərdē/
noun
the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #26
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
I know he stated he was not interested in sways. But, wouldn't that be an inexpensive way to accomplish some of his goal?
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
I see the thread is comming along quite well. Very interesting videos. I'll probably never race my car around a track so what I am look for are things that will bolt on easily an make the car tighter as it ages, reduce wheel hop if I get superchager, and maybe add a driveshaft loop. That being said anything in the front would have to accomodate a superchager. I don't plan on changing my springs or rims and tires.

The posts here are very informative. I'm not going to say which I like the most because I don't own any, but maybe someone else does.

What is your combo ?

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #28
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
It is my opinion if you are going to road race and subject your Camaro to hours and hours, of off the charts stress, with R compound tires, I would recommend a strut mount brace. But lets be logical on a street driven, and lets say a VERY aggressive street driven or even an occassional track day. Will you see a difference?

So lets think about it. In a full drift mode, it appears that there was close to 2mm change in the bracket. And lets assume that change was in fact the accumulation of changes in both the inner strut towers. So both the strut tower moved a total of .078 inches. So lets say each strut tower moved .040 inches. This is about the gap of a average spark plug. Now what does that mean in terms of alignment changes?

So the upper strut bushing moves .040 inches and it is SAY 2 FEET from the actual balljoint. So I can do the math, but the actual movement of the tire/alignment might be .002 to .005 inches. that might make a camber change of .001 degrees, which no alignment machine in the country could measure. So the actual effect or influence of the controlling the upper movement in almost not even measureable or noticable. If you are noticing it, it is the same issue as when I wash my car and it looks pretty, which makes it drive better.

Whether you use Pedder, or any other suspension company out there, I think it is more prudent to invest your hard earned money on other upgrades that will make an actual handling difference. Granted it does look pretty cool. So if you are looking to make your engine compartment cooler, get it.

Now there are many cars out there that just aggressive street driving will permenantly alter the upper strut towers with negative affects. The 2010 Camaro is not one of those. This is the reason Pedders did not waste its time on R&D for them because we do make strut tower braces. It is also the same reason we do not make a front lower control arm bushing. The OE unit works perfect in all driving conditions. This is also the reason we do not make a lower outer rear control arm bushing like others do because this bushing is seriously stoutly, and we cannot improve on it.

So for $300+ there are a lot of upgrades that should be done that you can actually make a significant difference.

Thanks
mike
dms

Last edited by Info@PeddersUSA.com; 04-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote