Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
xs29j8
Hemis, Six Packs, & Wings

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8 & Old Mopars
It has been a problem at many companies, including the aircraft manufacturers that I have worked for. A friend that works at GM Arlington has told me worse stories about alcohol/drug problems out there. And it was only two years ago that Ford workers were caught taking 4 hour long drinking lunches on company pay:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=249190

That forum post has a video link that is dead, but gives the overall idea of the incident in 2008. The companies have to try there best to prevent such violations of policy, and the unions need to cooperate with the company when violators are caught... we will have to see what the UAW does.

XS
Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The biggest problem I see is that the UAW hasn't said anything about it (to my knowledge). As soon as they heard about it they should have told Chrysler to fire them.
The UAW said that what they did is bad but does "exist in our society," as if to accept that this behavior exists and they have to just tolerate it. Autoblog reported.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Idiots. There are plenty of people that would give limbs to have their jobs and they're drinking and blazing on the job. They deserve to be unemployed indefinitely. I'm 20 years old and wouldn't do this idiotic shit. It's disgraceful. This is your workplace gentlemen, not your backyard bbq. If I were one of their kids, I would be absolutely ashamed.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
to the UAW
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs29j8 View Post
It has been a problem at many companies, including the aircraft manufacturers that I have worked for. A friend that works at GM Arlington has told me worse stories about alcohol/drug problems out there. And it was only two years ago that Ford workers were caught taking 4 hour long drinking lunches on company pay:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=249190

That forum post has a video link that is dead, but gives the overall idea of the incident in 2008. The companies have to try there best to prevent such violations of policy, and the unions need to cooperate with the company when violators are caught... we will have to see what the UAW does.

XS
This is a good point and exists in all type of business. I used to be a supervisornat a large nationwide callcenter and it was and still is a huge issue there. THey just do a mouth swab for the drug test and it is very easy to get around. Hell, I found one of the people taking care of new hires with a Mountain Dew bottle spiked with alcohol. Anyways, it happens, just the media and some people like to make it look like a more isolated incident than it is.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Idiots. There are plenty of people that would give limbs to have their jobs and they're drinking and blazing on the job. They deserve to be unemployed indefinitely.
I agree
Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Stew

Ugh, kinda on the same note, Dallas has fired 13officers in less than a week, including 1 office who apparently fired his weapon in his patrol car while drink. What is the country coming too?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.3335c2a.html
Old 09-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
This is a good point and exists in all type of business. I used to be a supervisornat a large nationwide callcenter and it was and still is a huge issue there. THey just do a mouth swab for the drug test and it is very easy to get around. Hell, I found one of the people taking care of new hires with a Mountain Dew bottle spiked with alcohol. Anyways, it happens, just the media and some people like to make it look like a more isolated incident than it is.
Gotta be a slow-ass news day when video of people drinking and smoking on the job is national news. It's stupid and they deserve to be fired, but substance/alcohol abuse is a problem at any company like xs29j8 said. Bailout money doesn't make a damn bit of difference; there's probably people at CitiBank or Goldman Sachs drinking and getting high as we speak.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Maybe those guys ARE the quality control!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #24
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
It would be fun if they added coffee and caffine beverages to the substace abuse list. Stuff messes you up more than a joint will

A whole lot of people would be fired....
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Last I checked caffine doesn't do anything except make you a little jumpy. Working while drunk or high is slightly different.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Not only the jumpyness, but the body's requirement for caffine and how tired people get afterwards.... Dangerous imho.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

I know what I'm like when I'm drunk, I know what I'm like when I've had a large double-double. I've said and done dumb things while drunk/buzzed. Can't say that anything bad has ever happened to me during caffeine withdrawal.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #28
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
When I heard about this the first thing out of my mouth was:

"Well how else are they supposed to comprehend putting the thing together?"

Followed by a diatribe that ended with:

"Holy f**k.. how did they get 375,000 mpg with just a hamster and a used coffee can..."
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote