Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Lynnspeed
Attitude is Everything!!

Drives: 2011 2LT RS CGM
AWESOME!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
I'm a big a Nascar fan... as many, but I was so disappointed last year when the Nationwide COT made its debut in Daytona and no Camaro. I will give props to Dodge and Ford for taking a moderatly identical race car and putting a street version of the Challenger and Mustang body on em.... They were awesome looking!

With that said.... Chevrolet and Camaro could have made a big statement since Dale Jr won the race with ease. Now it did put GM in the victory circle anyway, but a Camaro wouldve been the icing on the cake!!

C'mon Chevy..... just do it!!!
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
After seeing the monstrosities that are the Mustang/Challenger stock cars, I hope this never happens.

You want to race a Camaro? Then race a Camaro. Not something that looks exactly like every other car on the track but says "Camaro" on front.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I highly doubt it.

Maybe with the next gen Camaro, and next gen Nascar management, and next gen GM racing management.

The current players have already failed at the task. GM should have used a performance car in NASCAR years ago. Multi championships in a row with 10s of millions of dollars backing the Impala. Impala prospective shoppers couldn't give a crap about racing. Does the walker fit in the back, are the speedo numbers big enough to read... They could care less that Jimmie has dominated the sport in an Impala.

Look at last year in Nationwide, how many times the announcers commented how great the Mustang and Challenger looked in race trim. Massive marketing opportunity missed.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Nascar has morphed into something it was never meant to be. I think they need to go back to their roots of taking real cars and racing them. what they have now is a bunch of identicle setups with different stickers. sad to say and I live here where it all began.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
Z28 Autobot

Drives: 94 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
Why do the cars need to be so similar. These current cookie cutter cars suck. They shouldn't even bother putting manufacturing stickers on them. They are all custom built from the ground up and share virtually nothing with a production car. How many of those V8 Camrys have you seen running around? NONE-They don't exist!

They need to go back to how Nascar started. Pick an actual production vehicle, strip out the interior, maybe give them some engine rules and let it rip. None of this "My Camry makes less horsepoer than the Impala, so I should get a weight reduction or they should get weight added" bullcrap. Pick the best car for yourself and run what you brung. Nascar is basically turning in to indy car and you can see how that worked out for them. Sorry for the rant, I just want to see real racing again.
This^^^^ I feel the same way..ok so it needs to be a stock car..so make the shell look like the Camaro Mustang and Challenger..and umm toyota..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
Nascar has morphed into something it was never meant to be. I think they need to go back to their roots of taking real cars and racing them. what they have now is a bunch of identicle setups with different stickers. sad to say and I live here where it all began.
And that is the 2nd of the same thing..I am sure there were more in the threads and Iam sure this is said a millions of times over.

BUT you get this:
Quote:
Pemberton also said that any move to cars of different design would require aero-matching of all four models at the same time, similar to the process used in approving the new Nationwide cars.
Pemberton WRONG WRONG WRONG. You use one maker or the other for what they offer. Like they said in the past. You chose the car for its merits.

This is VERY SIMPLE! Even the people are NASCAR can comprehend it.
You want similarities? Hows this. NASCAR provides the frame of the car thats it. Since its poncar size and configuration you have something on the long hood short trunklid shape just like all the cars they talked about..

SO the tube frame is set.
Now you ship it to the Chevy NASCAR team they have the same fiberglass type of bodies BUT they are shaped like the Camaro.
Now you ship it to the Ford NASCAR team they have the same fiberglass type of bodies BUT they are shaped like the Mustang.
Now you ship it to the Dodge NASCAR team they have the same fiberglass type of bodies BUT they are shaped like the Challenger.

you throw your sponsors engine in it and your ready to go!!!

Is this SO HARD???

NO it is not. Teams use Chevy or Ford or Dodge for the advantages. Not trying to make them so similar that stickers are the only thing that you can tell they are not the same car.

NASCAR..DO IT!
Z28 Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #22
Z28 Autobot

Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
Z28 Autobot

Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #24
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
i think it is about time for nascar to make a change and run the camaro,challenger and mustang,nascar needs something to pick the interest back up,it has been loosing fans now for the past 3-4 years,i used to make sure i was somewhere around the ole groove tube on sunday's to see the race,but for the past couple of years if i watch a race,i watch it,if i dont,i dont,...if ya get what im saying,
I have been in the same funk also, probably since Dale Sr. is gone and Jr. isn't focused enough to chew gum and drive.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #25
SZOTSTA24

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hopefully this will happen. NASCAR has made enough bad decisions already, time to make a good one....
SZOTSTA24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
NSCRFN3

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
I miss racing like it was back in the day of the 3!
Couldn't agree with you more or said it better myself! Let's go back to the days of who can go the fastest and if you can't keep up........ then figure out why! This about every car has to be the same is a MAJOR fail for NASCAR! The longer it goes on, the smaller their audience will get! Myself included!

But otherwise great news for the Camaro! GO !
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
I will give props to Dodge and Ford for taking a moderatly identical race car and putting a street version of the Challenger and Mustang body on em.... They were awesome looking!

Find the Mustang. Find the Challenger.

They didn't make the NASCAR stock car look like the street version. Once again, all they did was slap stickers on the front.

You want to make NASCAR interesting again? At the start of each season, every race team heads to Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge dealerships and buys a Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger (don't know what Toyota teams will do, but who the hell cares). They take those cars and make them into race cars. No more BS about every car needing to be built to the same specs, you run with what you brought. I guarantee you ratings will go up.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #28
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
12 is a challenger, 24 is the mustang , but I see your point.