Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Poor Colorado ran to the PAC to get away from Texas and OU

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Poor Colorado ran to the PAC to get away from Texas and OU
It would be nice to thump their A$$ again!!! "Hello, remember me!!!"
Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
It would be nice to thump their A$$ again!!! "Hello, remember me!!!"
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Here is the problem I see with all this re-alignment.......Schools are doing this for the money and conferenece " Stability ". Ok that is fine....BUT what about the players, the fans base, the parents, grandparents etc.........While I am sure that Tx and OU has a lot of money but the fact remains that the kids do not.

Lets take Texas, TT, Ok St, and OU for example.....each school plays 12 games usually with 5 roads games some have 4 road games......So you have to travel to Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, USC, UCLA etc........sure most people find a way to go to one of these games but when you have 3 or more away games like this the financial burden on families would simply be too great.

Tx A&M will find this out when they come to the SEC, say South Carolina, Florida, Georgia etc are the away games....this is alot of travel to go watch your kid play......Sure there maybe a few kids on SEC schools that live far away but not the majority like Big 12 schools.....It may hurt some in the long run.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
PonyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Lets take Texas, TT, Ok St, and OU for example.....each school plays 12 games usually with 5 roads games some have 4 road games......So you have to travel to Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, USC, UCLA etc........sure most people find a way to go to one of these games but when you have 3 or more away games like this the financial burden on families would simply be too great.
I can only speak as a UT Alumni...........I will and have traveled from CA, FL, to Ohio to see my Horns. Did you see how many UT fans were at the UT-UCLA game? UT has a LARGE following (so does OU), and I look forward to traveling out West (or East) to support the UT Nation. Recruiting is going to be CRAZEY!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
I can only speak as a UT Alumni...........I will and have traveled from CA, FL, to Ohio to see my Horns. Did you see how many UT fans were at the UT-UCLA game? UT has a LARGE following (so does OU), and I look forward to traveling out West (or East) to support the UT Nation. Recruiting is going to be CRAZEY!!!
Tx and OU is like Alabama....FANS will travel BUT I was more talking about the families for the players and even some fans in this ecomomy...Sure 1 game is fine and people usually can do that but when you start talking about 2, 3 or more it becomes a lot more difficult.

I plan on seeing Alabama and Florida play but my brother lives in florida and the flight is only 300.00 but when you add hotel, rental car etc...it does get expensive for the families of players.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
PonyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Tx and OU is like Alabama....FANS will travel BUT I was more talking about the families for the players and even some fans in this ecomomy...Sure 1 game is fine and people usually can do that but when you start talking about 2, 3 or more it becomes a lot more difficult.

I plan on seeing Alabama and Florida play but my brother lives in florida and the flight is only 300.00 but when you add hotel, rental car etc...it does get expensive for the families of players.
I see your point....but as a Parent, if my son/daughter had a full ride to a major college in any sport, the true blessing would be in the education they would be receiving and getting to play the sport they love would be a plus (not if the family is in attendance the majority of the games). Just me!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Very true.....If my son who is 12 yrs old, 6'1" and 275lbs is lucky enough to get a full ride to play ball and most important him getting a great education, I would be extremely happy.

Just heard on the radio that OU told the Big 12 that if conference revenue sharing was not equal that they would leave the Big 12.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #23
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
That's what home games are for. I don't see your point about family not getting to see their kid play

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
That's what home games are for. I don't see your point about family not getting to see their kid play
Most people I know who have kids in Div I programs go to watch them. Take the Big 12 (Tx), most road games are within driving distance. Texas plays Iowa State, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Baylor away this year. Not a real amount of distace even though Texas is a big state.........Replace these 4 teams Washingston, Oregon, Oregon State and USC.........and UCLA since you played them this year. The amount of travel involved is alot greater than the Big 12 schedule and in this economy I don't think many parents could do tjose trips versus the ones on their schedule this year. Personally I just think it puts hardships on parents, grandparents etc...........

I really hope they can keep the Big 12 alive.....I like the Big 12 and the history...TxA&M and Tx has played what 117 yrs...that is ALOT of history......Tx-OU at the State Fair is an event, not just a game....yes I have been to it and loved every single minute of it. But these are just my opinions and really don't matter in the grand scheme of things, lol.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

I certainly see your point John. Lot of parents have never ever ever ever missed a single game their kids have played in. But that's kinda selfishly motivated. Not selfish in a bad meaning but the kids aren't as hurt as the parents are when the time comes that the parents are not there. It's important to the parents, yes. But that's all.

The parents of a kid at a small school that is on the road 8 games a year have been dealing with even worse a situation all along. Not only the distance but double the games on top of that. It's not fair, but then again, nothing really is.

It's valid for sure. But I doubt will be a large part of the consideration when the decisions start to come toward playoffs and mega conferences.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

What's happening is they are catering more and more to the fan and not the students.

I'm a fan. Not a student. And I want to see a playoff in some form. I'm actually a proponent of the mega conferences. Easpecially if they are laid out like the proposed Pac-16 and they allow the conferences to have a conference playoff. Would add a game to regular season so I'm not sure that would be possible but this whole lose a game and your out of the NC pictures sucks to me.

After 3 weeks there are only a handfull of teams that have a chance. After half way there are usually only 3 or 4. It sucks to me.

BUT............ If it's going to hurt the students then we should leave it alone.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
What's happening is they are catering more and more to the fan and not the students.
You know from being a athlete in the past I look at this in other ways........ lets think about this from an athletes/students point of view.....

Yeah for us four Texas/Oklahoma schools if we play a ball game at UCLA or CAL or somewhere on the west coast and its a prime time game then our guys/ladies which ever sport is being played will get home around 4am that gives them maybe 4 hours of sleep then get to class.

In the past everyone was put into regions for reasons.

its all about $$$$$$$ not about the student who makes this happen.

Quote:

We do it because

WE ARE TEXAS \m/

Cant tell you how many road trips I have been on for games.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
You know from being a athlete in the past I look at this in other ways........ lets think about this from an athletes/students point of view.....

Yeah for us four Texas/Oklahoma schools if we play a ball game at UCLA or CAL or somewhere on the west coast and its a prime time game then our guys/ladies which ever sport is being played will get home around 4am that gives them maybe 4 hours of sleep then get to class.

In the past everyone was put into regions for reasons.

its all about $$$$$$$ not about the student who makes this happen.
This is an aspect I know nothing about and so I usually just stay quiet. BUT, I hear the student-athletes who have gone on to the pros say that it was no big deal. Because they were all able to schedule their classes around that for the most part. Plus we see the Division 2 schools do it just fine.

But again, just what I heard said. I have no idea. Being a paying student at Green River College I didn't have that problem.