Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Drove both the 1SS and an LS... I bought the LS V6... With the automatic in both, I could not see spending the extra 10k for 88 more hp... To each their own, both are AWESOME cars and you can't go wrong with either...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
MAGfuz

Drives: VR 2SS Convertible
You'll be happy with either, guaranteed! I test drove the only 6 they had on the lot (which ended up being mine) and I was (and still am) more than happy with the amount of power it had. Plus all the extra stuff the dealer added on was pretty much free as the car was on sale $3k+ below sticker price!

TEAM LS3!
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #17
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
so did u even try the V6? I hear they are just as fast but cost less on gas and insurance, etc. etc.
Warning, I must be going deaf......its funny with the windows up in my SS I don't hear a thing, but the sweet sounds of REO Speedwagon in the CD player. In as much the cost differences........a mature driver with a clean history and a good FICO score needed worry about those variables........I do like the savings though.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Masta T
coco puff power yo!

Drives: 2005 350z tt, 2010 bmw 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/2010 View Post
Here's mine
is that the bumblebee camaro? its nice,

dub or scrub
Masta T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Al

Drives: 2011 SS CGM
Strange but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Warning, I must be going deaf......its funny with the windows up in my SS I don't hear a thing, but the sweet sounds of REO Speedwagon in the CD player. In as much the cost differences........a mature driver with a clean history and a good FICO score needed worry about those variables........I do like the savings though.
Insurance savings? I am a mature driver and have a good FICO score. I traded in my Civic Si for a 1SS. My insurance went DOWN $10 per year !!!

Still can't believe it, the SS is very addictive be aware. I have driven over three thousand miles in about a month. Just can't get enough...

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
The test drive will get you. I had been looking at the Camaros for months but had no real intention on trading in my 10 year old 242,000 mile Ford truck. Then my 10 yr old son asked if we could at least go look at one of the cars up close. In a few minutes I was behind the wheel of a 6 speed 2SS. The salesman was just a college kid. He asked if I really wanted to drive it or did I just want to go slow. I said I will drive it as hard as you let me. He took me to place where there are no police and said drive the shit out of it. When I smoked the tires changing into 2nd gear, I was sold and ordered a car just like I wanted. My car should be here any day now.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #21
--camaro--

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3 SIM w/black strips
test driving it was the sale. thats what i did and i ended up trading in the 6 for the 8...it has only brought smile after smile!
--camaro-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Drove both the 1SS and an LS... I bought the LS V6... With the automatic in both, I could not see spending the extra 10k for 88 more hp... To each their own, both are AWESOME cars and you can't go wrong with either...
more like 114 hp more but i agree
Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
2010BumbleBee

Drives: 2010 2SS RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
+1
2010BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
The SS Automatic has 400 hp... The V6 has 312 hp.... This = 88 hp
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
I think he's talking about the auto V8; it's 400 hp, right? Either way, it'd be awesome, but I wanted to stay under 30K. My last car was 162 hp and weighed about 3300 lbs, so the 300+ hp of the V6 works for me
E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
kd4hey
Motorhead Wannabe

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (L99) RJT
Send a message via Skype™ to kd4hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I just traded in my 1LT auto for a 2SS/RS auto. It's not so much the 88HP that makes the difference, it's the incredible difference in torque! I drove my 1LT for a year before trading (just this past Friday). I am delighted with the difference. There is as much difference between the engines as there is between the payments.

2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT VIN# 116938 Del: 27AUG2010 "Veronica" is a wet dream on wheels!
Former Ride: 2010 1LT RJT 15AUG2009 - 27AUG2010 "Victoria" was one fine lady! CamaroSouth - Columbia Chapter Member
kd4hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #27
Lbness

Drives: 2010 ss M6 Aqua Blue
Send a message via AIM to Lbness
The first one's free kid ....very addicting !
Make your girls happy too
http://www.lisafreede.com/http://www...s/thumbsup.gif
Lbness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #28
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote: " Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65
so did u even try the V6? I hear they are just as fast but cost less on gas and insurance, etc. etc."

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65
so did u even try the V6? I hear they are just as fast but cost less on gas and insurance, etc. etc.

Ouote:Originally Posted by Al ..........."Insurance savings? I am a mature driver and have a good FICO score. I traded in my Civic Si for a 1SS. My insurance went DOWN $10 per year !!!

Still can't believe it, the SS is very addictive be aware. I have driven over three thousand miles in about a month. Just can't get enough... "

The point is, how funny it is when it comes to the reason/s given behind someone's choice, decision or reasoning process like the posters to purchase a particular model.

Obviously they have never heard of HP per pound of a vehicle. Nor considered that ones right foot plays the greater part in the actual fuel consumption of a particular vehicle........

Relying on what they've heard from someone who has no idea of what their talking about, someone with no experience from which they have reached the conclusion, they're so willing to share.

So many folks believe that one model or make of a vehicle cost the same to insure for everyone, when-ever that isn't true. When in fact there are tons of varibles, including......... the automobile itself, its cost, safety ratings and features, engine size, the cost of average repairs, ie. Then the locale where the automobile will be driven, that areas accident rating, the number of miles the vehicle will be driven daily, the drivers age, the primary drivers gender, the drivers years of actual driving experience, citation and accident histories, number of insured vehicles in a household, number of persons of driving age residing in the household, their experience and driving histories , the credit histories of the insurance policy holders, the different types of insurance a household purchases from the same company, and on and on.....ie.

Then there is the issue of whether or not..............all things are created equally. If the V6 versions were as fast a the V8's................The majority of us SS owners surely would have purchased one, in order that we too save thousands of dollars. Just not on the car purchase itself, but as well the insurance premiums, maintenance, fuel, et.

I would think that it would become a reasonable conclusion that Chevrolet wouldn't have spent the time building the V8 versions. Thus increasing much needed profit margins. Its seems fair to believe that they would have upped the price of the "V6" only model available in such a scenario, to fill the inordinate supply and demand quota's, in the same manner price pointed the Gen5's nearer to the competitions offerings.

In conclusion I could imagine the hopla in the pony car wars if a V6 Gen5 could come close to the performance levels of , let say the V8 powered Ford GT. If it could a V6 version Gen5 would in all probablity retail for more than the current V8 SS's and thus no net savings on the actual purchase price, and the insurance premiums would be just as costly as they could be for those operating the current V8 equiped Gen5's, if all else were equal.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 09-02-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro 2ss, lovesick puppies, ssv8