Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I understand that they have a fee for service and they expect people to pay - but it is kinda cruel to show up and watch the house burn.

It's like an ambulence ride - you get the service before you pay - they don't stand there while you're clutching your dismembered arm checking your credit card balance to see if you can afford the ride. It's after the fact that they will send you a bill.

I don't see why they can't use that method here too -- you pay up front it's $75 bucks, they show up and have to bail your cheap ass out -- then they send you a bill for a few hundred or more. Would sure as hell ensure that I paid up front instead of last minute. And they'd make a sweet deal off the cheap-o's. Maybe work something out to get reimbursed direct from homeowners so the people can't "forget" to pay.

I do think it's a little cheap of the guy to not pay $75 bucks - I mean that's not that much - they weren't looking for 700 a year - but I do think they shouldn't just stand there roasting marshmallows over his stuff.....
Why show up at all?

At first, I thought the same thing. Then I thought we must be talking about a small town. What if everyone decided to pay afterwards and the town goes three years without a fire? They would have no money to maintain the equipment and personnel.

:(
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
At first, I thought the same thing. Then I thought we must be talking about a small town. What if everyone decided to pay afterwards and the town goes three years without a fire? They would have no money to maintain the equipment and personnel.

/\ THIS
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I understand that they have a fee for service and they expect people to pay - but it is kinda cruel to show up and watch the house burn.

It's like an ambulence ride - you get the service before you pay - they don't stand there while you're clutching your dismembered arm checking your credit card balance to see if you can afford the ride. It's after the fact that they will send you a bill.

I don't see why they can't use that method here too -- you pay up front it's $75 bucks, they show up and have to bail your cheap ass out -- then they send you a bill for a few hundred or more. Would sure as hell ensure that I paid up front instead of last minute. And they'd make a sweet deal off the cheap-o's. Maybe work something out to get reimbursed direct from homeowners so the people can't "forget" to pay.

I do think it's a little cheap of the guy to not pay $75 bucks - I mean that's not that much - they weren't looking for 700 a year - but I do think they shouldn't just stand there roasting marshmallows over his stuff.....
Why show up at all?
I thought about all of that.

The fire department showed up because a neighbor (who had paid) called them to make sure the fire doesnt' spread to his house too.

And, I agree about the ambulance analogy, BUT there were no lives in danger here.

They could FORCE everyone to pay. (Tax) But I'm on the personal accountability side of the coin. I think you should be able to choose on as many services as you can.

I'm sure this guy got the 'Bill' in the mail. And may have overlooked it. But he may have 'Overlooked' several bills. To wich I still say, sorry. Not fair to all the people whos money goes to ensure there IS a fire service. If everyone in the county took his stand, there would be NO fire service. (actually, they'd tax everyone, and then it woud be double the cost)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I understand that point of the city but think it is really a sad day in America when something like this happens, seriously how much money is spent on "Other" things like welfare, sure you can have 11 kids and the tax payers still pay but your house catches fire and we will watch it burn, for 75.00.

To me it seem like a really easy fix. EVERYONE who owns a home pays property tax, simply add 75.00 and cover everyone.

Maybe I am just too old and still remember the old addage.

" Do unto Others, As you would have them Do Unto You" Instead of Do unto others before they do you.

A real sad story for sure. Not sure of their financial situation, if they had any children or family.

Wonder where they slept last night?

But for the Grace of God there go I.............. It could be you.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:

What if only person in a small town paid the fee?

Granted it sounds like in this case the fire department was paid through taxes of a large town and if the surrounding areas wanted fire protection then they would pay a fee instead of a tax. So if only one person paid the equipment would be paid for by the larger towns taxes.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
They probably showed up to make sure that the fire didn't spread to his neighbors house since they had paid. I seriously doubt they were all sitting around cheering and fist pumping because the guy's house was burning. It was probably a preventive measure to make sure that the people who had paid would be taken care of if needed.

This was in the article. "Firefighters did eventually arrived on the scene, but only to protect the property of a neighbor who had paid the fee."
Well I mean, if you're gonna just stand there, might as well bring the 'mallos.....

I know I know

But it's still awful. I get their stance 100% but.....won't change me feeling sorry for the poor guy. (or finding the idea of s'mores really delicious.....)

Quote:

That is true...
But I'm sure there's some jackass out there who'd light a fire just to cause drama.... just sayin'.....asshole (read psycho douchebag) in ever community
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
How does this fee work if you live in a duplex or condo?

What bothers me about this story is that they have to show up to protect the house that paid the fee but there is no incremental cost to put out the fire. The firefighters were being paid if they put out the fire or if they stood there.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
It's a good sameritain issue. You don't let someones $200k house burn down over $75.

They could easily charge the guy $5-$10k in expenses.

This is BULL S**T

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I respectfully disagree given the info we have.

Nobody was hurt, and this department relies on the yearly payments to provide a service. You mentioned it, that the service could become unreliable if they don't get thier money. THEN lives could be at risk. I'll bet the services get paid in that area now.......

This country has lost it's sense of personal accountability. And we have suffered for it.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I'd have been doing what I could to help even KNOWING they didn't pay. But I just can't fault the city or department for their stand.

If more of our Gov. would take this stand we'd not be in so much trouble.

THIS

Should've paid it.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I thought about all of that.

The fire department showed up because a neighbor (who had paid) called them to make sure the fire doesnt' spread to his house too.

And, I agree about the ambulance analogy, BUT there were no lives in danger here.

They could FORCE everyone to pay. (Tax) But I'm on the personal accountability side of the coin. I think you should be able to choose on as many services as you can.

I'm sure this guy got the 'Bill' in the mail. And may have overlooked it. But he may have 'Overlooked' several bills. To wich I still say, sorry. Not fair to all the people whos money goes to ensure there IS a fire service. If everyone in the county took his stand, there would be NO fire service. (actually, they'd tax everyone, and then it woud be double the cost)
Oh I get that - and I agree
I would not want to be forced to pay double to cover for some asshat that was too cheap to pay. I hate that my $$$ goes to jackasses NOW that don't want to work or be bothered to be accountable for thier crap.

So I get concept. But the soft center in me still thinks that poor guy was running around trying to save his sht while professionals just sat and watched.

Devil's advocate here - great they were there if the fire spread - but I mean, had the PUT IT OUT, it wouldn't have had the chance to spread or the chance of ruining someone else's property.
I mean, frankly, I'd be PISSED if I was the guy that paid, and my house caught on fire or had ANY damage b/c the fire dept was just waiting for my house to catch on fire -- PROACTIVE is better then REACTIVE.

But.....devils' advocate aside -- I agree that if the town rules enforce payment or else - and that guy didn't pay then...they were well within their rights to let his house burn.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
I understand that point of the city but think it is really a sad day in America when something like this happens, seriously how much money is spent on "Other" things like welfare, sure you can have 11 kids and the tax payers still pay but your house catches fire and we will watch it burn, for 75.00.

To me it seem like a really easy fix. EVERYONE who owns a home pays property tax, simply add 75.00 and cover everyone.

Maybe I am just too old and still remember the old addage.

" Do unto Others, As you would have them Do Unto You" Instead of Do unto others before they do you.

A real sad story for sure. Not sure of their financial situation, if they had any children or family.

Wonder where they slept last night?

But for the Grace of God there go I.............. It could be you.
Depends on your the states constitution. In our great nations constitution it lays the responsibility of protection to the govornment. So a tax for fire protection is certainly constitutional federaly. Probably most states as well.

And once again, I want to make this clear to everyone. If I were this guys neighbor, he'd have a place for him and his family to stay until they got straight. Even though I lay blame on him. AND if I were him, I'd be ever so greatful and thankful and would accept help had they offered it. But at the end of the day, I'm kicking myself for a choice I clearly made on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
What if only person in a small town paid the fee?

Granted it sounds like in this case the fire department was paid through taxes of a large town and if the surrounding areas wanted fire protection then they would pay a fee instead of a tax. So if only one person paid the equipment would be paid for by the larger towns taxes.
Fair?

I think not.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I agree PQ that it comes down to personal responsibility

I guess the kinder side of my heart goes out to these people. Enough is not written in the story to truly understand the foundation, like if he was a disable vet or something like that, or had some mental issues.

Too many times in todays society we argue about taxes, rules, personal responsibility.

This story reminds me of something else that happened and such outrage occurred. These people didn't have to pay any money but were told to leave or something bad will happen. They didn't leave and something bad did happen, then they want to blame everyone else for not leaving, but that was the Governments Fault and the personal repsonsibilty, self preservation, or whatever you call it never came into affect.

What could this possibly be? What people in their right mind would not heed a warning? Why did we just stand here and watch what happened and do nothing?

What happened was called

Hurricane Katrina
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #27
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Pretty sad story.

Can't imagine too many first responders not felling guilty about having let this house burn down. Further reading on the internet reveals some pets were lost. Thankfully, no humans were killed/harmed but the what ifs are incredible. A Child could have gone back in to the house, someone sleeping in the basement...

Owner claims he forgot the $75 fee...and would have paid anything at the time of the fire to save his home. The city should adopt not only their $75/year but $XXXX.XX for non-paying home owners if a fire breaks out.

Funny, the president of the National Firemen's Asscociation think this is hogwash. Basically said, do your job first, then figure out the monies afterwards. God save us.

Real humanity in this story...gotta pay to play.

Last edited by ColdCamaroSS; 10-07-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #28
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
The guy who didn't pay actually lives in the next county, out of the jurisdiction of the fire dept. in question. The county of the guy with the fire, has no fire dept. The next county agreed to cover anyone willing to pay the $75 fee. A straightfoward business deal. If you want protection, then pay. Many rural areas in Tennessee have no fire dept. In the areas outside city limits in my county residents are covered by only volunteer fire depts. They are dependant for equiptment, liability insurance, operating expenses, etc. on the fees paid by those who want fire protection. Like others have said, personal responsibility. Granted this is not the ideal situation. But when I was growing up there were not even volunteer fire departments in rural areas, you were just on your own. If available, the nearest city fire Dept would show up just to prevent it from becoming a forest/wild fire & county governments paid for that. And YES, The firefighters hate, having to just watch property burn, but that is just the way it is.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 10-07-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo & omission
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote