Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKnam67 View Post
I checked mine at approx 8,000 miles when I put on a CAI intake and no oil in the intake side but oil inside the intake itself. Put on a catch can last week and checked CAI tube and no oil in intake side. Dry.
Same here. No oil in the "clean side" anyplace, but now that I have the catch can installed I can track the amount of oil that gets trapped in the can and there is some collecting there.
PS: the terminology used here "clean" and "dirty" sides is what GM calls these things in the shop manual.
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Hey Guys,

I was pointed in this direction and will give my 2 cents on this and ask a question or two.

On "most" vehicles the PCV hose portion of the system is where oil can be pulled into the intake behind the TB due to an improper baffling system combined with the intake vacuum allowing oil to pass into the intake tract BEHIND the TB. As mentioned, this is the "dirty" side per the GM service manual.

This is where the typical PCV oil catch can is installed is in the dirty side of the system.

Now it seems that some of the V6 cars are having quite an issue with the "clean" side as shown by the pictures here. Since air is normally pulled from the air inlet tube towards the engine via PCV vacuum, the only way I can think that much oil can be pulled to the intake tune is under a high load condition such as wide open throttle. In this scenario there is little or no vacuum on the dirty side to pull fresh air and in the intake tube you will have a venturi effect that can start pulling on the clean side tube. If there is not enough baflling in the drivers valve cover I can see it pulling oil from the splashing at the cams and followers. Without seeing the inside of the cam cover it is hard to say what the issue is.

So I guess the question is to those that have oil in the intake tract via the "clean" side, are you doing a lot of WOT or hard accel runs on a regular basis??

I generally sell a second can to the V8 guys for the breather or "clean" side tube if they have a boosted, nitrous or loosely built engine that can have more crankcase pressure then normal and push into the clean side breather hose.

A second can would be relatively easy to mount on the drivers side similar to what we do for the Magnacharged LS3 and L99 cars. This will not fix the problem, just keep the oil from getting into the intake tract.

For folks that have oil getting into the intake tract via the clean side hose and want to do a dual can setup, I sell my base V6 catch cans at $115 each for the dirty side and I can make it a package for two base units for $210 shipped and will include brackets and extra hose. Indiana folks would need to add 7% sales tax.

I will try to get someone back in here for fitment soon. Should be straight forward as with the dirty side hose.

Let me know guys.

Mike Norris

Last edited by Mike Norris; 10-18-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Mike asked:

"So I guess the question is to those that have oil in the intake tract via the "clean" side, are you doing a lot of WOT or hard accel runs on a regular basis??"

YES!!! Every chance I get!!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Here are two good threads on understanding it all:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102397

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68744
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Cool

Anyone ot pics of a catch can on the dirty side too?

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Here is a thread to my fitment pics of the "dirty side" hose. If you are looking for the clean side, I do not have one with a can installed, but perhaps someone else here does.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108016

Good explanations of the PCV system in those threads Tracy and it really covers the "dirty" side of things. I want to hear what GM has to say about the "clean" side issues these guys are having.

So if the guys running the V6's car's hard are the ones having the clean side issue, it would make sense about the venturi effect. If GM does not do anything I guess adding a second unit will have to be the fix.

I did get a call already from a local guy wanting a dual setup, so I will post up when I get it installed.

Thanks.

Mike Norris
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
OK,

I just checked the fitting going into the injen from the clean side and it is dry as a bone on both sides of the small inline fitting injen supplies, which appears to be a baffle.

So it looks like oil is NOT being deposited by the clean side......
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Mike is right on the "clean side". At WOT reversion, or back-flow can force oil back through the clean side to the air bridge causing ingestion on the clean side. Very little does get through if driven easy, but a can inline on both is the best solution.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Hmm, I'll have to take a look at my throttle body next week.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Mike asked:

"So I guess the question is to those that have oil in the intake tract via the "clean" side, are you doing a lot of WOT or hard accel runs on a regular basis??"

YES!!! Every chance I get!!!
I WOT every time I drive my V6. Not to max speed of course but often, atleast thru 1st and 2nd gear and sometimes thru 3rd and 4th, and have floated lifters - woops. Mine is a manual which should not make a diff.
As stated in another post I have a C.A.I. intake and just installed a catch can. THe vac line going to the intake (passenger side) was il wet.
My driver side has been dry and still is as of now. 10,000 miles. So I don't know what the deal is with the ones that do have the problem.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #25
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Man, now we need two of these? This car eats money.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #26
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKnam67 View Post
I WOT every time I drive my V6. Not to max speed of course but often, atleast thru 1st and 2nd gear and sometimes thru 3rd and 4th, and have floated lifters - woops. Mine is a manual which should not make a diff.
As stated in another post I have a C.A.I. intake and just installed a catch can. THe vac line going to the intake (passenger side) was il wet.
My driver side has been dry and still is as of now. 10,000 miles. So I don't know what the deal is with the ones that do have the problem.

Just to clear up this message; since I installed the catch can the line to the intake from the catch can is dry. Also, the line to the intake tube is dry.
I just checked.
I drove it today and drove it hard.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #27
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
If the clean line goes to the intake tube just to get a source of clean air, why not add a small air filter to the end of the clean PCV line and plug the hole in the intake where it used to go?

Seems like a cheap easy fix. Thoughts???
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #28
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
If the clean line goes to the intake tube just to get a source of clean air, why not add a small air filter to the end of the clean PCV line and plug the hole in the intake where it used to go?

Seems like a cheap easy fix. Thoughts???
There is a pic of that some where on here in another thread. But it sure needs to be cleaned up. one of those small air filters and adapt it to the clean air source on the valve cover. Any thoughts on this?

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote