Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
Noturday
[Not-your-day]

Drives: 2005 Avalanche
I can see where the tech wouldn't know about every detail of every car, but he should at least know that's they stopped putting the ls1 in cars a while back.

The problem I've had is that the service REPS don't know what they are talking about. Had one try to BS me when I took my truck in for an odd repair, called her bluff and got the service manager to take care of it for me. Its a wonder how some of those people get positions where their knowlege of the subject matter is limited at best
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
What is wrong with the launch control? I wouldn't use it anyway, way too easy to damage all kinds of driveline parts. I was riding with someone once, and he said - watch this. Before I could say - I wouldn't do that he was firing off a nice wheel hopping launch control start. Car vibrated like crazy after that - driveshaft bolts were all bent.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
fugimo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS ABM
I believe some people that work as a tech in these places are just there to make a buck. They are not car enthusiasts and really can care less what is in the car and figure some one will tell them how to fix it. My grandfather was a mechanic and it didn't matter what kind of car it was, you could tell him the problem and he would tell you what to fix, just something he loved to do as a job. Granted cars have changed in the last 20 years, but the love of cars and knowing them seems like you get a management job and you never get to actually work on the car, while some that just wants a job, does the actual work.

So far I have been lucky when going to the dealership for warranty work, the service manager and the techs I have talked to seems like they enjoy what they are doing and do the little extra things that most places will not even think about doing since it is not on the little sheet for them to do.
Injen CAI
AAC lighting (Foot well, trunk, interior, RGB Halos, Plasma DRLs, V2 scanner, side markers)
fugimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
First off, I think you need to go in there with the right head, which is to not assume they're trying to rip you off at every step of the way. If you have the means, fix it yourself, otherwise, patiently wait while the dealership comes up to speed on your car.

It's possible the dealership hasn't seen many of them, and it's also possible that this tech is maintaining a head-full of mechanical knowledge and quirks about specific GM cars for the past 20 years and just hasn't memorized the ins-and outs of the 5th gen Camaro.

For reference, I don't think the feature is specifically advertised as "launch control" --probably 'Stabilitrak Competitive Driving Mode,' instead. And the tech was probably thinking "high power Camaro engine" in regards to the oil change, which, since 1998, has been the LS1.

Give 'em a break, man...Until they absolutely rip you off or give you incorrect information, cool it. Remember that bringing in your car for service is voluntary. If you can find a better qualified mechanic, please do.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
-Trigger-
USER

Drives: 1SS, 1968 Camaro V8 396
I work in sales/service and to say that its ok not to know every littel deatil on a product you sell or service is a cop-out. I sell over 30 Diffrent models of phone and when a customer comes to me when a phone does not work I need to know what to look for as for a service stand point me acting like that dealership tech would be like a customer coming into a store with a blackberry and in awe that it is able to recive email and go on the internet. When you have a brand you represent you should do your job and lean what is out there that you have to see every day. Then again I belive that is Pride in your job I know lot of people that do that but I also know people that will lern enough just to sell it then they get push to the people know what they are doing when something goes wrong beacuse they could not help the customer. But hey this could be me blowing of steam working in a sales/Customer Service and seeing exactly what has happened to you but in a diffrent setting. As for spelling IM sorry typing at work and trying to finish this post befor boss finds me on Camaro5 :P
Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
First off, I think you need to go in there with the right head, which is to not assume they're trying to rip you off at every step of the way. If you have the means, fix it yourself, otherwise, patiently wait while the dealership comes up to speed on your car.

It's possible the dealership hasn't seen many of them, and it's also possible that this tech is maintaining a head-full of mechanical knowledge and quirks about specific GM cars for the past 20 years and just hasn't memorized the ins-and outs of the 5th gen Camaro.

For reference, I don't think the feature is specifically advertised as "launch control" --probably 'Stabilitrak Competitive Driving Mode,' instead. And the tech was probably thinking "high power Camaro engine" in regards to the oil change, which, since 1998, has been the LS1.

Give 'em a break, man...Until they absolutely rip you off or give you incorrect information, cool it. Remember that bringing in your car for service is voluntary. If you can find a better qualified mechanic, please do.
Whose side are you on homie?! I called them a stealership for a reason ($40,063 for a 2010 2SS with 6k on it and they wouldn't budge on the new tire eco charge of 5$ on a USED CAR!!! jacked up interest rate 10.8%, prep fee, paint protection, lotion jack-off treated leather fee. I felt a connection with my specific car and resolved to leave with it period. They basically stole my 7,000 down payment in add-ons- and I am still waiting on my other key I was promised before I signed- How's that?!) I was curteous and forthcoming in my dealings with my tech because I am handing my baby to him. I said "The launch control allows me to redline when I am in competitive mode." slowly and clearly. I shouldn't have to pitch underhand in order for a pro to "hit." I paid top dollar. I want top notch goddamnit.
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
Whose side are you on homie?! I called them a stealership for a reason ($40,063 for a 2010 2SS with 6k on it and they wouldn't budge on the new tire eco charge of 5$ on a USED CAR!!! jacked up interest rate 10.8%, prep fee, paint protection, lotion jack-off treated leather fee. I felt a connection with my specific car and resolved to leave with it period. They basically stole my 7,000 down payment in add-ons- and I am still waiting on my other key I was promised before I signed- How's that?!) I was curteous and forthcoming in my dealings with my tech because I am handing my baby to him. I said "The launch control allows me to redline when I am in competitive mode." slowly and clearly. I shouldn't have to pitch underhand in order for a pro to "hit." I paid top dollar. I want top notch goddamnit.

LOL ... You signed the papers, and I'm sure they didn't have a gun to your head ...

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
You got crushed. Someone made a huge commission on you.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
As someone who used to work as a mechanic at a dealership and who has family who is a Service Manager at a dealer, let me just say this: Techs don't know everything about every car. In fact, unless you run across a tech who happens to be a Camaro enthusiast, I'd be shocked if he knew about the launch control on the LS3s.

They have to have knowledge of how to work on a ton of different cars and the dealership is anything like the one I worked at, most of the knowledge that would be useful is about Chevy trucks. We sold Chevy trucks more than we sold 99-00 Camaros back in the day by 20 - 1 (at least) and the ratio of vehicles we worked on was probably even higher than that.

Salesmen are the same way but I do give them less slack because they tend to just make stuff up when they don't know (at least all the salesmen I've known including one who works for the dealer I eventually bought my Camaro at (didn't buy from him though )) If they don't know, they should just say that and then go check (if possible).

Anyway, there are some crooked dealers out there for sure but not all of them are like that and no knowing about launch control is probably very typical. The LS1 - LS3 thing is probably forgivable too though I'd expect at least someone there to know the difference
DarkObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Are you snapping the throttle quickly wide open while in Competition mode? If you ease into the throttle, it will rev to redline.

I've never seen launch control not work, it's in the software and there hasn't been any software update for it being missing on any cars. Once you figure out how to use it, I still wouldn't use it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #25
FastEddie
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=SlingShot;2938148]LOL ... You signed the papers, and I'm sure they didn't have a gun to your head ...

[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right there.They handled me like a drunk prom date until I said "Fine get it over with" I felt good however being able to say to myself "I'm leaving with this car" and doing it. I have refinanced (2.99% Woot), and will be damned if I buy another car from Miami Lakes Auto Mall (I plan on trading up for the ZL1). I've given more than they overcharged me to strippers in the course of my life- difference is I'll gladly go back to the strip club. It wasn't about the money. I'll always get more. But you only have one chance at an experience.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #26
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
As someone who used to work as a mechanic at a dealership and who has family who is a Service Manager at a dealer, let me just say this: Techs don't know everything about every car. In fact, unless you run across a tech who happens to be a Camaro enthusiast, I'd be shocked if he knew about the launch control on the LS3s.

They have to have knowledge of how to work on a ton of different cars and the dealership is anything like the one I worked at, most of the knowledge that would be useful is about Chevy trucks. We sold Chevy trucks more than we sold 99-00 Camaros back in the day by 20 - 1 (at least) and the ratio of vehicles we worked on was probably even higher than that.

Salesmen are the same way but I do give them less slack because they tend to just make stuff up when they don't know (at least all the salesmen I've known including one who works for the dealer I eventually bought my Camaro at (didn't buy from him though )) If they don't know, they should just say that and then go check (if possible).

Anyway, there are some crooked dealers out there for sure but not all of them are like that and no knowing about launch control is probably very typical. The LS1 - LS3 thing is probably forgivable too though I'd expect at least someone there to know the difference

^^^ exactly right sir.

I'm an ASE certified mechanic (brakes, steering and suspension, heating and cooling, engine repair, engine performance) and I can guarantee you that you will never find a mechanic anywhere who knows everything about every single car in production. There are literally thousands of subsystems that are more important to a technician's knowledge base than the launch control on a brand new vehicle. Granted, it's a Chevrolet dealership and they should know more about GM products than I do, but that's why there are programs like Identifix, Alldata and websites mechanics PAY for to use as a knowledge database and diagnostic tool to aid them whenever they come across an issue that stumps them. Please try to understand, mechanics are just ordinary people trying to do their job, and without letting you follow one of us through our daily process of diagnosing and fixing cars, you simply cannot understand the huge amount of general knowledge is needed to work on today's highly-involved electronic vehicle systems. Granted, you'd like to have a mechanic who knows more about your car than you do, but as you said yourself, you "live, eat, breathe and love the Camaro." Mechanics usually do not have the time nor the inclination to have that kind of passion towards ONE vehicle unless they either own it, or are an enthusiast as you are. I'm one of the few mechanics who DO live, eat, breathe and know a lot about the Camaro, but I haven't even worked on one yet, they're a very new vehicle that is relatively rare to see and thus, won't be brought into service very often. So, it's reasonable to say that mechanics probably haven't seen hundreds of LS3 Camaros with YOUR exact problem, so they will have to play with whatever issue you have, in order to determine the problem.

My point is this: don't hold your dealership or your mechanic to an unheard of level of commitment. They don't know everything, nor will they ever. I sure don't know everything about cars, and I've been wrenching for almost a decade now.

2010 Camaro SS #123444 - K&N Typhoon CAI, Muffler Delete, MPD-1 Spoiler, Headlight Armor Blackouts. Mods to come: longtubes/tune/flux capacitor

Understeer
is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
You got crushed. Someone made a huge commission on you.
Yeah I feel ashamed. But being a jerk to people helps me feel a lot better (that and burning 'Stangs)- lol- Seriously though, I have learned plenty since being here on Camaro5. I feel better since I have purged. This may be the beginning of a "kinder gentler me"! I am sure others have been similarly fleeced, they just aren't admitting it. Maybe some1 can learn from my experience, or take solace in hearing from another "sucker".
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper595 View Post
^^^ exactly right sir.

I'm an ASE certified mechanic (brakes, steering and suspension, heating and cooling, engine repair, engine performance) and I can guarantee you that you will never find a mechanic anywhere who knows everything about every single car in production. There are literally thousands of subsystems that are more important to a technician's knowledge base than the launch control on a brand new vehicle. Granted, it's a Chevrolet dealership and they should know more about GM products than I do, but that's why there are programs like Identifix, Alldata and websites mechanics PAY for to use as a knowledge database and diagnostic tool to aid them whenever they come across an issue that stumps them. Please try to understand, mechanics are just ordinary people trying to do their job, and without letting you follow one of us through our daily process of diagnosing and fixing cars, you simply cannot understand the huge amount of general knowledge is needed to work on today's highly-involved electronic vehicle systems. Granted, you'd like to have a mechanic who knows more about your car than you do, but as you said yourself, you "live, eat, breathe and love the Camaro." Mechanics usually do not have the time nor the inclination to have that kind of passion towards ONE vehicle unless they either own it, or are an enthusiast as you are. I'm one of the few mechanics who DO live, eat, breathe and know a lot about the Camaro, but I haven't even worked on one yet, they're a very new vehicle that is relatively rare to see and thus, won't be brought into service very often. So, it's reasonable to say that mechanics probably haven't seen hundreds of LS3 Camaros with YOUR exact problem, so they will have to play with whatever issue you have, in order to determine the problem.

My point is this: don't hold your dealership or your mechanic to an unheard of level of commitment. They don't know everything, nor will they ever. I sure don't know everything about cars, and I've been wrenching for almost a decade now.
This is exactly what I was trying to say.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote